Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,470,236 times

Advertisements

I live 2000 miles away so I won't be blowing the tenants cover. I did call the mgmt company with my concerns. She is described as clean and professional with one young child. Doesn't sound bad.

Shoot...being poor is almost the norm these days. Unless they work for the government...those folks are strutting around like King Tut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,446,019 times
How much value do you place in the management company you hired?

We treat Section 8 like any other other applicant except for the income qualification.

Also, be aware the unit is required to meet Housing Quality Standards and continue to meet them throughout the rental. Things like window screens, appliances, fire extinguisher, etc.

The certificate holder has already been pre-qualified as low income... the next steps are unit inspection and rent reasonableness. The unit will not be eligible unless it passes HQS and the rent is within agency guidelines.

Depending on Tenant's income, the tenant's rent portion may be almost nothing or almost everything... it will also be adjusted at least once a year.

I have some Section 8 families that have been with me since the 1980's...

We currently no longer accept new families because Section 8 no longer covers any reimbursement for tenant caused damage or lost rent... a big consideration since families on assistance are judgement proof...

My best advice is to maintain your standards except for your Income requirement if you go Section 8... i.e. no bad credit, references, employment etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,186,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How much value do you place in the management company you hired?

We treat Section 8 like any other other applicant except for the income qualification.

Also, be aware the unit is required to meet Housing Quality Standards and continue to meet them throughout the rental. Things like window screens, appliances, fire extinguisher, etc.

The certificate holder has already been pre-qualified as low income... the next steps are unit inspection and rent reasonableness. The unit will not be eligible unless it passes HQS and the rent is within agency guidelines.

Depending on Tenant's income, the tenant's rent portion may be almost nothing or almost everything... it will also be adjusted at least once a year.

I have some Section 8 families that have been with me since the 1980's...

We currently no longer accept new families because Section 8 no longer covers any reimbursement for tenant caused damage or lost rent... a big consideration since families on assistance are judgement proof...

My best advice is to maintain your standards except for your Income requirement if you go Section 8... i.e. no bad credit, references, employment etc.
That must be state by state then. I know 1 or 2 S8 LL's who successfully sued S8 tenants for damages.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That must be state by state then. I know 1 or 2 S8 LL's who successfully sued S8 tenants for damages.
The question is if they were able to collect. Of course, anyone can sue anyone...

In the past, Section 8 would guarantee up to two months rent for damage and unpaid rent... I have collected under the old program.

With the introduction of Vouchers, Housing got out of the Security Deposit end to reduce administration and cut losses...

I have two judgements in my file against former Section 8 tenants... doubtful I will ever collect... both no longer work, live of welfare... not really anything to go after.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM

249 posts, read 823,284 times
RUN, don't walk away from that Section 8 tenant!!! As a board member in a condo development I can't tell you the amount of complaints & the number of owners who have MOVED out because of the 1 Section 8 tenant in our complex.
Fortuanately, after YEARS of fighting with the tenant & the landlord who didn't care just as long as they got their rent money, the tenant is moving!!!
Finally, peace will return to our community!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,899,180 times
How much do you know about the Lehigh area? You do realize that this area is full of crime and drugs right? Head over to the Ft Myers/Cape Coral board and ask these question there.

Lehigh was a neat little place until all the Section 8 voucher holders were 'forced' out there when the govt shut down the Michigan Links housing project.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,186,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The question is if they were able to collect. Of course, anyone can sue anyone...

In the past, Section 8 would guarantee up to two months rent for damage and unpaid rent... I have collected under the old program.

With the introduction of Vouchers, Housing got out of the Security Deposit end to reduce administration and cut losses...

I have two judgements in my file against former Section 8 tenants... doubtful I will ever collect... both no longer work, live of welfare... not really anything to go after.
That is why I said "successfully" sued. Section 8 doesn't guarantee that and I don't believe they should. Being on S8 should not alleviate responsibility on the part of the tenant.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is why I said "successfully" sued. Section 8 doesn't guarantee that and I don't believe they should. Being on S8 should not alleviate responsibility on the part of the tenant.
Subsidized Housing has a long history and really picked up momentum in the 1960's in many parts of the county...

When I first became involved... local Housing Authorities would contract with the building owner and assume full responsibility for the property... everything from placing tenants, maintenance, evictions, etc.

In the late 70's, Section 8 started being implemented in my area... it was a fundamental shift where the Housing Authority limited it's roll to financial... which included security deposit assistance.

The reality is many families that had been required to pay a few dollars security, commensurate with their allocation of rebt and often this was less than 10% of a traditional deposit of 2 months.

With the coming of Vouchers/Portability, Housing made the decision to further reduce it's commitment to only a portion of the rent and annual HQS inspections. Many Landlords felt abandoned... especially those that had rented under one set of rules which provided Security Deposit Guarentee as an enticement to rent...

A typical family in my area paying $90 a month in rent for a $1500 single family home did not have the resources to come up with a $3,000 Security Deposit. Many Landlords stopped taking Section 8 because it didn't make good sense to let someone rent a $400,000 home without 2 months security... or the ability to recover damages.

Of course there are always exceptions... I had a single mother that worked her way up from almost full subsidy to no subsidy... the last year she was on the program, she was paying 98% of the rent and Housing 2%... she utilized the opportunities available and eventually landed a good job with the transit agency... she, however, is not typical in my experience.

I have managed many rentals where Section 8 has become generational... 3 of 4 generations living on assistance... the head of household passes and the certificate goes to one of the children... etc.

Collecting Judgements is difficult enough from tenants not on welfare... to say it isn't does not reflect my experience... I have never lost a court case... I only wish I had half the success in collecting judgements.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,382,667 times
There are good and bad with Section 8 tenants, just like there are good and bad with NON-Section 8 tenants. The proportion probably does lean a bit more to the bad side though with Section 8, I will admit that. Same phenomenon as students. Many bad students in high school become great college students when they are paying to be there. Along the same lines, some tenants who don't have to pay don't take any pride in their living space.

Over the 10 years I have been at the property management company I work for, we have had, I believe, 8 or 9 section 8 tenants. Several have rented from us for many years (up to 14). We have one who moved out and now is looking to come back, we would rent to her again in a heartbeat, as she was a perfect tenant. On the other side, we have one who we get notices from the utility company on EVERY month, she is always just barely scraping by, and the HOA sends notices a couple of times a year.

I would say good/bad with section 8 is probably 50%/50%, whereas good/bad with non-section 8 is probably more like 75%/25% or even higher.

However, of the people who have done MAJOR damage ($5000, $8000, $10k and $15k), that we had to take to court to attempt to collect, 100% of them were NOT on section 8. We have never had a section 8 tenant who was that expensive.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,470,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
There are good and bad with Section 8 tenants, just like there are good and bad with NON-Section 8 tenants. The proportion probably does lean a bit more to the bad side though with Section 8, I will admit that. Same phenomenon as students. Many bad students in high school become great college students when they are paying to be there. Along the same lines, some tenants who don't have to pay don't take any pride in their living space.

Over the 10 years I have been at the property management company I work for, we have had, I believe, 8 or 9 section 8 tenants. Several have rented from us for many years (up to 14). We have one who moved out and now is looking to come back, we would rent to her again in a heartbeat, as she was a perfect tenant. On the other side, we have one who we get notices from the utility company on EVERY month, she is always just barely scraping by, and the HOA sends notices a couple of times a year.

I would say good/bad with section 8 is probably 50%/50%, whereas good/bad with non-section 8 is probably more like 75%/25% or even higher.

However, of the people who have done MAJOR damage ($5000, $8000, $10k and $15k), that we had to take to court to attempt to collect, 100% of them were NOT on section 8. We have never had a section 8 tenant who was that expensive.

Thanks for the facts... I love stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting