Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Your last point is a myth I think a landlord made up when he was desperate for renters .
Rents have been declining in general for the last couple of years. Of course landlords will want to raise their rents because they want to make more money. The fact that their costs have gone up does not mean market rents have gone up.
Where have rents been declining? Certainly not around here. People are having trouble finding places to rent while the market is flooded with homes and condos for sale. It will vary by area, of course but here a graph of commercial and residential rent prices is like an X, residential up and commercial down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Where have rents been declining? Certainly not around here. People are having trouble finding places to rent while the market is flooded with homes and condos for sale. It will vary by area, of course but here a graph of commercial and residential rent prices is like an X, residential up and commercial down.
http://www.realestatechannel.com/new...2010-chart.jpg
When vaccancy rates go up rental prices go down? Do you have any figures for this "X"?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,406 times
With each new LL comes new quirks. I have lived in way too many rentals in my young life, and the one thing that I have figured out is you can trade in the quirks of one LL just to acquire different quirks of another LL. What your current LL does now may be irritating, but you might find your next just as irritating or worse.

That said.. Life is too short to live someplace you're not happy. You like the house, not the neighborhood. I guess the real question is: is the price you will be paying for a "more desirable" neighborhood worth it to you?

As for him raising rent.. 3.5% isn't as bad of an increase as I've seen, my LL asked for a 11% increase from me come renewal. My situation is different because I invested a lot of my own cash into the property to improve it to help my LL out, so that increase was a huge slap in the face for me - and I'm moving. Every LL has the right to make profit, and this won't be the last time you see an increase.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 91,961 times
I just wanted to provide an update: I've decided to make the move. The rent increase shifted the balance for me- espcially since I have always thought that the current rental was overpriced.
I know there may be issues with the new landlord but I am willing to take that chance.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting