U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM

57 posts, read 141,535 times

Advertisements

For all of you apartment/condo dwellers, how much of this do you hear in your unit? Got any good stories? What did you do to ultimately solve the problem?

Here's my story:
Two months ago I moved into my apartment after signing a one-year lease. My unit is on the top floor, so no neighbors above me. However, the neighbors to the side of me are noisy as heck.

They are a couple in their 30's, have one baby, and one of their mothers lives with them as well (I assume to take care of the baby). Their unit is a 2 bedroom and mine is a 1 bedroom. Their secondary bedroom shares the same wall as my only bedroom and they claim that the mother and baby sleep in this bedroom.

Every morning starting at around 7:15 AM I am woken up (quite startled) by very loud banging, thumping and pounding noises (like BOOM, BA-BOOM, BANG, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, BOOOM!). I also hear someone stomping back and forth between the bedroom and the bathroom and what sounds like them throwing things against the wall or closet doors. They also slam their closet and cabinet doors very loudly.

This noise goes on all day long, albeit at somewhat random intervals (usually a series of noise every 10 minutes or so). It continues until they go to bed, usually around 12 midnight or 1 AM. None of them seem to work and there's always at least one adult at home at any given time (more on this later).

On Fridays it gets especially bad because they have these maids that come over and they basically tear their apartment apart, throwing out 5-6 trash bags, boxes, you name it... needless to say it's extremely loud when this is happening to the point that I feel like I'm in an earthquake. On a side note, there was an earthquake here the other day, and I didn't even feel it because I thought it was just the usual noise from my neighbors!!!

I've tried to talk to management, and their response was to initially send them warning letters. When that didn't work (these neighbors just escalated the noise level), they told me to call security. Unfortunately security's response time the first time I called was so bad that by the time they get out here, the noise stopped because the neighbors were asleep (they showed up almost 3.5 hours after my initial call). The second time, the security guard showed up (almost 2 hours after the call) walked around for 10 seconds and noted he heard nothing, but initiated contact with the neighbors anyways to ask them to quiet down. The next day, my neighbor went marching into the Leasing Office and yelled at the property manager, basically claiming that he was all upset he had to get woken up by security and that he wasn't even home when the noises occurred. For whatever reason, management believed him (despite the fact that there are 3 adults in the unit and I am 110% positive that at least one of them was home making the noise-- they've done it every night for the past 2 months AND their light was on both times I called security).

After that happened, the Property manager called me and basically told me that she didn't think the noises were coming from that unit, and that she would investigate further and get back to me. She told me that if I had any questions, I should call her. When I did that, my calls went un-returned for two weeks (I got hte apartment mainline voice mail). I then sent a series of emails asking to schedule a time to meet with her to discuss my options. These went ignored. Last week, I physically took the time to go down to the leasing office, and after a 40 minute wait and being put off four times before that, was able to talk to the Assistant Property manager who assured me that the Property Manager would call me back the following Monday. It's now Tuesday and still no call. I have a feeling they have decided to ignore me hoping that I simply give up.

I'm at a loss at to what to do and I still have about 10 months left on my lease. The noises are pretty intolerable, and I have resorted to using ear plugs, which don't even drown out all the sounds because it is so loud. I also dont like the fact that management is apparently taking my neighbors side over mine, when I am quite obviously, the victim in this situation.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,073,818 times
Cool Well...

It seems you've complained to everyone but your neighbors who are making the noise? I would suggest the next time the noise starts, that you knock on their front door, regardless of the time, and politely ask them to tone it down. The second time you have to knock on their door, don't be so polite, the third time you tell them to knock it off or you will call the police.
Then you send them a letter cc to property management and the general manager of the complex. Then you call the police. But you have to start w/the morons first or they just won't pay attention. It's pretty simple really.
Koale

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,691,093 times
Kids are noisy. Apartments are noisy. They are living their lives, and that should be expected in an apartment.

One place I lived in the neighbor had a 2 yo that ran around the place all day, and rumbled my floors. My neighbors now have a dog that jumps all over the place which makes bumping sounds. I once lived on top of a nightclub that didn't close until 5am. Everything takes an adjustment, but eventually you should adapt.

If you have not realized it by now, noise is part of the deal. Get used to some noise, or maybe apartment living is not for you. I always used a box fan to drown out noise, or just turn a little music on.

It's not like they are blasting music, which you could ask them to turn down. Their kid is probably running around or playing with toys, which is part of normal conditions.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM

205 posts, read 609,385 times
I'm living in my third apartment complex, and I've never heard any noise coming through from the side apartments. Our upstairs neighbors are noisy - they have a kid who likes to run as fast as s/he can from one side to the other, from 6am to 10pm. And we've heard the adults in an hour-long screamfest. When we were the upstairs neighbor, our downstairs people would pound on their ceiling/our floor, and blast their music so loud it would vibrate our floor.

But I've never heard any noises or bangings from the people on either side. I guess I've just been lucky?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM

19,127 posts, read 14,828,029 times
I live in a little duplex (mine is a 1 bedroom, my neighbors have a 3 bedroom) and I really think they might be holding kickball tournaments in their house. Their kitchen butts up to my kitchen/living area and I've actually had pots fall off my pot rack because of the banging on their side...it's quite impressive really.

Luckily, my bedroom is on the opposite side and as long as I have a radio/tv on for backround noise I can hardly hear/feel them so I've simply been spending most of my time in my bedroom.

I think they're just really oblivious to the noise they cause (even though I've told them multiple times). I used to go out of my way to be extremely quiet so I didn't disturb them...now I just don't care and I go about my business as if they weren't there, slammed over doors and all.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM

57 posts, read 141,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

It's not like they are blasting music, which you could ask them to turn down. Their kid is probably running around or playing with toys, which is part of normal conditions.
It's not the kid. Their baby is only like 3 months old. It's not running around. Definitely the adults causing the noise. In fact, I'd be more willing to just let it go if it were the kid because I understand that kids make noise and can't really control it or don't know any better. Sometimes in the middle of the night I'll hear the baby crying, it wakes me up, but hey, babies cry, I understand that... and I'm okay with that.

What upsets me is when they are seemingly intentionally kicking and banging my wall every 20 seconds or so for the entire day and worse at 11:30 at night. I have to get up really early for work so I need to get sleep.

I'll try to talk to them, I've just been avoiding it because I've known people in the past to do this and all it got them was an even more angry neighbor who now targeted all of their hatred toward them (causing more noise, making their lives more miserable, etc.)... and I really don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I used to go out of my way to be extremely quiet so I didn't disturb them...now I just don't care and I go about my business as if they weren't there, slammed over doors and all.
I did the same thing as well. Tried to always be courteous and quiet when around the apartment so that I don't tick off my neighbors. After they started banging around all the time, I didn't try so hard anymore. I don't bang around on purpose or anything, but I don't try to tip toe around anymore either. Well anyways, now they get all mad at me (by banging at me) when I do my laundry or when I close my bathroom drawers. I'm not even slamming anything (like they are) and I think the noise that I make is 1/16th the noise that they make... but they get mad. Once I was in my bathroom and I closed (NOT slammed) a cabinet and they started banging and pounding the wall and yelling at me to "shut up". It's a little ridiculous how hypocritical it all seems.

Last edited by stc888; 01-12-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM

3,020 posts, read 3,691,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stc888 View Post
It's not the kid. Their baby is only like 3 months old. It's not running around. Definitely the adults causing the noise. In fact, I'd be more willing to just let it go if it were the kid because I understand that kids make noise and can't really control it or don't know any better. Sometimes in the middle of the night I'll hear the baby crying, it wakes me up, but hey, babies cry, I understand that... and I'm okay with that.

What upsets me is when they are seemingly intentionally kicking and banging my wall every 20 seconds or so for the entire day and worse at 11:30 at night. I have to get up really early for work so I need to get sleep.

I'll try to talk to them, I've just been avoiding it because I've known people in the past to do this and all it got them was an even more angry neighbor who now targeted all of their hatred toward them (causing more noise, making their lives more miserable, etc.)... and I really don't want that.

I did the same thing as well. Tried to always be courteous and quiet when around the apartment so that I don't tick off my neighbors. After they started banging around all the time, I didn't try so hard anymore. I don't bang around on purpose or anything, but I don't try to tip toe around anymore either. Well anyways, now they get all mad at me (by banging at me) when I do my laundry or when I close my bathroom drawers. I'm not even slamming anything (like they are) and I think the noise that I make is 1/16th the noise that they make... but they get mad. Once I was in my bathroom and I closed (NOT slammed) a cabinet and they started banging and pounding the wall and yelling at me to "shut up". It's a little ridiculous how hypocritical it all seems.
Well, that explains your problem. I honestly do not understand why adults behave like that.

I think part of the problem is because many people are so self-centered, they believe that their apartment should be free from the common living noises of others, and when they hear footsteps or drawers shutting, they are taking it as an attack on their ego.

Your situation is hard to deal with, because complaining to the police or management will not help, as they aren't playing music.

You could stoop to their level, and start bouncing a tennis ball off of their wall all day, or you could wait it out and move. Both of those options suck though. Sorry you have to live next to such idiots.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,798 times
Default contact me andrewtimmins2@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc888 View Post
For all of you apartment/condo dwellers, how much of this do you hear in your unit? Got any good stories? What did you do to ultimately solve the problem?

Here's my story:
Two months ago I moved into my apartment after signing a one-year lease. My unit is on the top floor, so no neighbors above me. However, the neighbors to the side of me are noisy as heck.

They are a couple in their 30's, have one baby, and one of their mothers lives with them as well (I assume to take care of the baby). Their unit is a 2 bedroom and mine is a 1 bedroom. Their secondary bedroom shares the same wall as my only bedroom and they claim that the mother and baby sleep in this bedroom.

Every morning starting at around 7:15 AM I am woken up (quite startled) by very loud banging, thumping and pounding noises (like BOOM, BA-BOOM, BANG, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, BOOOM!). I also hear someone stomping back and forth between the bedroom and the bathroom and what sounds like them throwing things against the wall or closet doors. They also slam their closet and cabinet doors very loudly.

This noise goes on all day long, albeit at somewhat random intervals (usually a series of noise every 10 minutes or so). It continues until they go to bed, usually around 12 midnight or 1 AM. None of them seem to work and there's always at least one adult at home at any given time (more on this later).

On Fridays it gets especially bad because they have these maids that come over and they basically tear their apartment apart, throwing out 5-6 trash bags, boxes, you name it... needless to say it's extremely loud when this is happening to the point that I feel like I'm in an earthquake. On a side note, there was an earthquake here the other day, and I didn't even feel it because I thought it was just the usual noise from my neighbors!!!

I've tried to talk to management, and their response was to initially send them warning letters. When that didn't work (these neighbors just escalated the noise level), they told me to call security. Unfortunately security's response time the first time I called was so bad that by the time they get out here, the noise stopped because the neighbors were asleep (they showed up almost 3.5 hours after my initial call). The second time, the security guard showed up (almost 2 hours after the call) walked around for 10 seconds and noted he heard nothing, but initiated contact with the neighbors anyways to ask them to quiet down. The next day, my neighbor went marching into the Leasing Office and yelled at the property manager, basically claiming that he was all upset he had to get woken up by security and that he wasn't even home when the noises occurred. For whatever reason, management believed him (despite the fact that there are 3 adults in the unit and I am 110% positive that at least one of them was home making the noise-- they've done it every night for the past 2 months AND their light was on both times I called security).

After that happened, the Property manager called me and basically told me that she didn't think the noises were coming from that unit, and that she would investigate further and get back to me. She told me that if I had any questions, I should call her. When I did that, my calls went un-returned for two weeks (I got hte apartment mainline voice mail). I then sent a series of emails asking to schedule a time to meet with her to discuss my options. These went ignored. Last week, I physically took the time to go down to the leasing office, and after a 40 minute wait and being put off four times before that, was able to talk to the Assistant Property manager who assured me that the Property Manager would call me back the following Monday. It's now Tuesday and still no call. I have a feeling they have decided to ignore me hoping that I simply give up.

I'm at a loss at to what to do and I still have about 10 months left on my lease. The noises are pretty intolerable, and I have resorted to using ear plugs, which don't even drown out all the sounds because it is so loud. I also dont like the fact that management is apparently taking my neighbors side over mine, when I am quite obviously, the victim in this situation.

Any suggestions?
I have found my self in the same circumstance as you detailed for some years now , I, m a single father sharing custody agreement and work full time.
I would be happy to console/ed , network with any 1 who finds them selves in this situation.
Sincerely good

Last edited by ando321; 12-27-2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: add detail

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

3,226 posts, read 1,948,259 times
Sometimes in multi-family buildings people don't realize the vibration or noise the enthusiastic slamming of the closet door or cabinet is creating. It is often how the building is structured. Also if their decorating is temporary or sparse, there will be fewer objects to absorb the noise. I usually just ask if they can be a little more gentle in closing doors and cabinets and that has worked for me. Try to get their phone number, so you can call while it is happening. It gives them a point of reference because noone remembers every movement they made. Also calling is safer for you than going to the door in case they are the easily angered type and is less intrusive on their lives.

If this doesn't stop it, try to tape record it. Call the police as a last resort.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 PM

8,162 posts, read 16,899,292 times
This is an OLD Thread! But I going to respond with my story... Give you guys a laugh LOL

My son lost his home so we moved into an apt. At nite I kept hear these rolling bouncing noises that would go on for hours then stop for hours so on & so on. Well one day we were both outside at the same time so I decided to ask them about it. I just wondering What it was otherwise it didn't bother me. Turned out it was their CAT playing with those cat balls batting & bouncing around!! After that I didn't hear it anymore....they took the toys away :[ When I found out I got the cat a huge bag of them .....

Some times instead of complaining TALK to the neighbors helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting