Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,893,031 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of renting-to-own?
I notice more of these signs popping up now than I ever have.

What is the positives and negatives for both parties involved in the buying and selling process?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM

284 posts, read 1,678,348 times
Sounds scary to me! Our neighbors (or I should say former neighbors now) thought they were in a rent to own situation with the home they were renting. I guess they didn't have documentation because they moved out in disappointment with no hope of owning the home. Even more scary, writing this post jogged my memory. Another family lived in that home before the other family, and they, too, thought they were in a rent to own situation. Maybe we'll need to check with the new tenants to see if they are under the same assumption. The owner lady seems so nice, too. I guess you can't be too careful or too trusting, and you should always get it in writing!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 AM

What's scary...is these people you mention, had nothing in writing!? Wow.
Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone without everything in writing, for both seller and buyer.

A few of the signs are up by real estate companies. I would hope they have documentation as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 2,829,982 times
I had the same question and did some research. I liked what I read in these websites:

Lease-to-Own House Purchases

lease with option to purchase The Lease And Purchase Option

Hope this helps!

I also was wondering, if a house has been on the market for quite some time, and does not show a lease to purchase option....it is through a realty company......is it possible to present this to the realtor if you are interested in buying the property but you need to work on your credit a little longer? Would a realtor consider this if the house hasn't sold and it belongs to them? OR would they bring this offer to the owner's as a option for me? Curious? Thanks!

LuLu

Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
I had the same question and did some research. I liked what I read in these websites:

Lease-to-Own House Purchases

lease with option to purchase The Lease And Purchase Option

Hope this helps!

I also was wondering, if a house has been on the market for quite some time, and does not show a lease to purchase option....it is through a realty company......is it possible to present this to the realtor if you are interested in buying the property but you need to work on your credit a little longer? Would a realtor consider this if the house hasn't sold and it belongs to them? OR would they bring this offer to the owner's as a option for me? Curious? Thanks!

LuLu

Thanks for the links and info.
Glad to see there are others with similar questions.
Now, if we can get a straight answer...is the million dollar question.

Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,532,798 times
Here in my area we have had a few lease/purchase transactions. Esp. for properties that have been 'hard to sell' The owner charges the 'buyer/renter a % for a down pymt. Also the monthly rental fee is divided into a certain % and depending upon the initial agreement between both parties a set sum goes into an account towards the final purchase and the remainder goes to the owner as a rental fee.
There are many issues to be dealt with. An agreed upon purchase/sales price, inspections, etc. within the contract will be a predetermined date of final closing and transfer of ownership. Title search, final inspections and many other issues will have to be addressed at this time.

It does allow the home buyer additional time to acquire a down payment and still live in the home while having the seller realize some income and hopefully the anticipation of the day of closing.

Plus the added benefit of the property not sitting empty and being, hopefully, taken care of. Many other issues will have been addressed, insurance, maintenance agreements and more. It is a drawn out process but can be done. I am sure others will have a more in depth approach to this subject than I.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,277,674 times
I know someone who was renting to own and the owner lost the home.I would never do the rent to own thing myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting