Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times

Advertisements

I just spent an hour removing snow from my driveway last night. What I wouldn't give to not have to worry about that crap ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Everyone....of course I foresaw that these issues would be issues that I would have to deal with. I'm just saying that they're not fun to deal with! That's all.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 21,448 times
nep321, I feel your pain...
I also live in a new apartment with many of the same bells and whistles you mentioned (granite counter tops, all new appliances, washer/ dryer, etc). Unfortunately it seems to also have many of the same limitations including lack of closet space and really inconsiderate neighbors (WITH LARGE DOGS) and I have been feeling more and more frustrated with the whole concept of apartment living (much more so as the weather has been preventing me from getting OUT of the house more).
Sadly, I'm not in a position to buy a home as my job requires a certain amount of mobility if I want to progress higher in the organization. For now, I AM grateful that when things leak or break I can just call maintenance and at the end of my lease I can look for something better, although moving is in and of itself a horrible process.
There are definitely benefits to renting, but sharing space and not even having control over your own space due to thin walls and poorly located and planned fitness rooms can be enough to drive you nuts.
Vent away!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
As a homeowner I would love to be able to just up and move to a new place every year. But good luck selling a home for a good price in this economy. Not to mention closing costs... .renting is a great option these days.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Well, I feel sorry for you. This is part of the school of hard knocks. You will be a wiser consumer next time and you are paying for the education now. Start scoping out better apartment situations/ideas now so when your lease is up you can be out of there.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Is Middletown a highly affluent area (obviously I'm not from the Northeast)? Paying over $1100/mo for rent seems like that could be going to a monthly mortgage payment on a house...just saying.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,403,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Two months ago, I moved into a 1-br apartment in an apartment complex in Middletown, CT. It's new construction (built in 2008) with granite countertops, gas fireplace, balcony and a washer & dryer in the unit. It is a 778 sq ft apt for $1,165 per month, with no utilities included, except for water. Amenities include a pool and a small fitness center. With that said, here are the reasons why I am not happy and I feel the need to vent, and can't wait for the day that I can buy a house:
  • Mail is centralized. You have to walk a considerable distance just to get the mail. Because of this, I have to get the mail on the way to my apartment when driving home.
  • The trash dumpsters are centralized and are way too far to walk to. Again, I have to freekin' drive with the trash bags in my car all the way to the dumpster.
  • Parking is not assigned, which means you aren't guaranteed a good parking spot.
  • My unit is on the 2nd floor, which makes it a pain in the a$$ to carry groceries back and forth from my car. I have to lock my trunk each time I make a trip to my apt and unlock the doors, etc. A big pain.
  • Dealing with snow is a nightmare, with no garage. This morning I spent a good 20 minutes shoveling my way out of the parking space, and there's no where to put the snow, unless you walk like 15 feet away for each scoop, dump it off, and repeat.
  • The gym is always busy with other people in there, using the freekin' equipment and turning their TV's on so loud it becomes annoying. I quit going to the fitness center, because of this. Can't even work out in privacy.
  • And the worst -- the neighbor above me blasts his music so freekin' loud every morning while taking a shower and sings along to it, as well as every night from 10:30 - midnight. It's as if someone is listening to music in the room next to me.
  • The neighbor above me does exercises (probably jump rope) that cause the floor to shake in a constant repetitive manner, and it shakes my whole ceiling.
  • The apartments have central air forced heating from the ceiling, which is THE worst method of heating EVER. I have to set the thermostat to 76 just to make it comfortable in my apt. Ridiculous.
  • There is a lack of closest space, making it impossible to even store certain things such as trash bags and clothing.
Dear God, get me out of here now! Why are new construction apartments built so cheaply these days? Why didn't they put soundproofing in the celings/floors? Why not build garages so we don't have to deal with the snow?

I can't WAIT to move out of here and into a house, where I can have maximum privacy!
Then why did you move in???

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Is Middletown a highly affluent area (obviously I'm not from the Northeast)? Paying over $1100/mo for rent seems like that could be going to a monthly mortgage payment on a house...just saying.
Middletown is a middle class city. I wouldn't call it affluent by any means. CT is ridiculously expensive, that's all. There are nicer towns with 1 br apartments going for $1695 or so.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Everyone....of course I foresaw that these issues would be issues that I would have to deal with. I'm just saying that they're not fun to deal with! That's all.
Then why did you choose that place?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Time to stop renting and start owning. And something with some land around you to keep neighbors a reasonable distance away.

And if you can't afford anything decent there because it's too expensive, it might be time to leave that area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting