Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

^^^Just a heads-up but the post you're responding to is dated Jan 2011 and the OP hasn't posted on CD for over 2 years. Good idea to check dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 776 times
I live in an apartment complex in California. when i sign for an apartment at this apartment complex the agreement said 30 days to fix blinds, stoves, sinks, floors and windows or fix yourself. the first time i called the landlord said i called too much about a stove problem then i called for a sink problem and such but the landlord started to ignore me. recently i have asked to fix ceiling fans, blinds and bathroom sink handles and towel holder and the guy came spoke to me in Spanish but i could not understand him since i only speak english. i got to my landlord in person and call her on the phone several times a week she writes it down and the maintenance comes checks on it but does not fix or order the parts for the items that are not being fixed? feeling helpless in California what i do about it and what are the rental laws in California about maintenance issues. i was wondering if the landlord is discriminating against me for calling too many times in the past.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrose4 View Post
I live in an apartment complex in California. when i sign for an apartment at this apartment complex the agreement said 30 days to fix blinds, stoves, sinks, floors and windows or fix yourself. the first time i called the landlord said i called too much about a stove problem then i called for a sink problem and such but the landlord started to ignore me. recently i have asked to fix ceiling fans, blinds and bathroom sink handles and towel holder and the guy came spoke to me in Spanish but i could not understand him since i only speak english. i got to my landlord in person and call her on the phone several times a week she writes it down and the maintenance comes checks on it but does not fix or order the parts for the items that are not being fixed? feeling helpless in California what i do about it and what are the rental laws in California about maintenance issues. i was wondering if the landlord is discriminating against me for calling too many times in the past.

What agreement are you referring to? Your lease specifically states 30 days to fix those things?

I would make sure that everything from here on out is put in writing and mailed to your LL. Don't make anymore calls because they can't be tracked. You need written documentation for proof. Email should also suffice. Also mention the times and dates the maintenance person has been there and for what issues and which problems are not being fixed. Let them also know that you are unable to communicate with the maintenance person because he does not speak English and therefore things are not being fixed as they should.

Let them know you need the issues addressed ASAP and also quote whatever is in your written 'agreement' that you are referring to. Then if things are not addressed or fixed properly and within 30 days you at least have written documentation for proof to take action if needed.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
In my apartment their is always the problem with parking there is never enough parking spot now I always pay my rent on time parking spot is first come first serve so if I ever go to the movies with my kids we are stuck with no parking spot now it doesn't have to be in front of my door or building but their is no parking spot anywhere in the complex do I not have the right to park my car in the complex where I pay rent? Shouldn't the apartment make sure all tenant who pay rent is authorized to have at least a parking spot inside the complex

Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxie View Post
In my apartment their is always the problem with parking there is never enough parking spot now I always pay my rent on time parking spot is first come first serve so if I ever go to the movies with my kids we are stuck with no parking spot now it doesn't have to be in front of my door or building but their is no parking spot anywhere in the complex do I not have the right to park my car in the complex where I pay rent? Shouldn't the apartment make sure all tenant who pay rent is authorized to have at least a parking spot inside the complex
not unless your lease specifically calls out guaranteed parking.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 AM

583 posts, read 712,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I am a person who lives a principled life. When I make the effort to make my landlord wealthy (by paying my bills on time), I expect that my landlord take very good care of me. It is not my responsibility to live an inconvenienced life because they can't get it together (that is not what I pay them for), as is it's not their responsibility to be inconvenienced by me not paying my rent on time. I believe that if I pay for a service, that I should get the best service that they can offer. A rental is not the same as Comcast. I can drop them anytime I want if they consistently deliver bad service. In a lease, I feel that those delivering the service are even more culpable since I am bound by the terms of the lease. If I am consistently experiencing these "emergency" maintenance issues, IMO, that's the same as them refusing to fix the problem.
This right here!!!! Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting