U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,716,776 times
Default What maintenance is included in rent?

Very few rental listings mention what maintenance is included. I'm assuming that with a townhouse all yardwork is taken care of by the HOA and that fee is included in the rent.

But if you rent a single family home with a yard and the property is managed by a property management company, who is responsible for the yard work? And what if you rent directly from the owner who may or may not live nearby???

And are there townhomes that don't have an HOA? I'm definitely looking for a neighborhood with a pool so I'm also assuming that if it has a pool, it has an HOA or who would maintain the pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

733 posts, read 1,335,321 times
good questions that are probably all covered in the lease agreements. read 'em carefully!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 PM

3,347 posts, read 9,773,494 times
The lease will answer those questions. i would ask the LL or management company when looking. I have single homes that the tenant does all the yard. Thats considered upkeep. Maintenance is done by me, that is repairs.
Every place can be different. Ask before you sign. never assume.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,716,776 times
Hmmm, well, since I specifically don't want to take on any maintenance beyond watering a few potted plants around the patio, I'd rather know before I even look at a place rather than wait until I can see the lease.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 9,761,809 times
You definitely want to ask the questions then. Out of our 93 rental properties, which are single family, townhouses, duplexes and one triplex, the tenant is responsible for yard care on 95% of them. Our townhouses are in single family developments, they just happen to have a shared wall, like a duplex. They do have an HOA, but the HOA does not take care of any exterior yard work.

If a townhouse is in a planned townhouse community with an onsite repairman, and with amenities like a pool or clubhouse, the HOA is more likely to take care of yard work.

We have 1 building that the HOA does the sprinklers, mows once a week and weeds 2 times a year. We also have one subdivision where we have 3 single family houses that the HOA takes care of the sprinklers and mowing, but not weeding. The rest of our units, the tenant does everything.

Expect it to vary from place to place, and ask the questions, but in general, apartments you don't do any exterior work, but for anything else, the yard work is fair game. The only way to know is to ask.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM

88 posts, read 132,582 times
Per the rental agreement single family home you are responsible for all yard care not the property owner RARE to find any property owner include in rental price Most lawn companies charge approx. $30 per mow lawns services approx. 6 months out of year.

Not all townhome communities have pools.

Best work with Realtor regards to leasing understand contract and obligations.

Security deposit based on credit scores anything above 630 - or + would not require double deposits,

Pet deposit average $300 - $500 large and restricted breds could be declined by property owner.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

2,632 posts, read 5,730,892 times
It all depends on where you are and what the policies are for each individual properties. In Hawaii, 95% of the sfh w/ yards have a gardener that the owner pays for because gardening here is a lot more than mowing some grass once or twice a month. Condos with "garden lanais" meaning a small area with some paved patio and perhaps some grass or ornamental plantings, the tenant usually maintains. Just ask the PM when you call on an ad.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM

3,119 posts, read 4,479,159 times
I've seen rental homes that include a gardner as often as once a week. And I've seen others where the tennant is reponsible.

TBH, if you are renting a house, you should expect to do some of the yard maintenance. In the instances where the gardner is included, I know that the owners do that simply to protect their investment in the landscaping of the place. IMO if you want no yardwork, you should not rent a house.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM

13,569 posts, read 15,649,124 times
It's all spelled out in the lease. I actually include lawn maintenance in our one property as it is in a nice area and the town is absolutely anal about enforcing violations. Of course, the cost is included in the rent, but the tenant viewed it as a positive, not a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting