Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM

21 posts, read 123,539 times

Advertisements

I share a place with a room mate. Things have taken a severe turn for the worse. The roommates girlfriend who isn't even on the lease but lives with us has made life unbearable in the home constantly causing arguments. They say I'm being unreasonable because I have asked numerous times that a particular person even though they are friends with this person not to visit the home while I am there they told me to be an adult and leave when she visits. In the beginning I was paying the entire rent and the other roommate was paying just the utilities which totaled 200 a month if that. We do not share food or any other items in the household. I'm not allowed to have any items, furniture or pictures in the common area if I do it is removed and put back in my room. I'm crammed into a very tiny bedroom and the stress has become too much. I decided to give my notice since the lease is up in two months. I sent my notice to the landlord certified mail. I have tried numerous times now to reach the landlord in the last month with no answer. Could I be charged for leaving a month early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
What does the lease say is grounds to break the lease?
is the reason protected by state laws?
Did you follow the requirments as written in the lease?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Funny thing is I don't have the lease the room mate does and when I ask she tells me she can't find it! All the rent receipts are in my name. Also the lease was drawn up with our prior property manager who was stealing the rent!! I don't even think the landlord even has a copy of the lease to be honest.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
This isn't really a "breaking the lease" situation. The other roommate isn't planning to leave from the sounds of it. So you are wanting to be removed from the lease, while the roommate stays. The LL probably isn't going to agree to that. So you have let them know you are moving out, but that doesn't release you from the obligation to make sure rent is paid, or to pay for damages done during the lease period, even after you've moved out.

You said you were paying all the rent "in the beginning", but you don't say what the current arrangement is. If you are still paying all the rent, then you can expect the roommate will not pay it after you move out, and the LL is going to come after you to collect.\

I do agree that it is totally unreasonable for the person paying the rent to have ANY restrictions on when they can be home, and where they can put their stuff. So I agree that the situation would be unbearable, but you probably do not have a legal out.

@Pacific: I can't imagine that "roommate conflicts" falls under any sort of state protected reason.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM

My room mate was living in the home prior to me moving in. I moved in to help out and what we agreed upon was never held up on her end. After seven months of paying all the rent I finally spoke up and told her we had to split everything down the line although some months I end up paying more. My room mates girl friend isn't even on the lease and she is the sole reason I want out. The landlord doesn't even know she lives there. I know our lease stated no overnight guests past 14 days. I have a month to go before the lease is up but I have my doubts the lease is legit since it was drawn up by the prior property manager who according to the landlord was fired because she was not giving him the rent for the intial four months of me moving in nor was she returning his calls. He drove five hours to check up on his rental property, verify the rent was paid with receipts and to get my info!!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM

I sent the my 30 day notice certified mail but after a week it still has gone unsigned for. I never recevied a rental receipt from him in January and too top it off we had a home inspector come out to the house to take picutes and measurments. She thought the house was abandon!! I have called the landlord everyday and it just goes directly to voicemail.

I have already secured another place to live. At this point the stress of the landlord and my room mates has become to much. Leaving a month early to me at this point really is the best option.

I have documented everything up to this point and will continue to do so. I will take pictures of my little bedroom when I leave to prove there was no damage. My room mate has lived in this place for several years and has had other room mates so blaming me for any damage would be hard to do.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Where is your LL located, same town? Go over there in person! I'm guessing this is not a realty company or professional management company? Who owns the house, exactly?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
All you can really do is document everything. Sounds like the LL is disorganize or having other issues. Not your problem at this point.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Where is your LL located, same town? Go over there in person! I'm guessing this is not a realty company or professional management company? Who owns the house, exactly?
No its a private owner who lives about four hours away! The situation is out of control at this point. I stayed with friends over the weekend to get away from the tension to come home to the cops, a houseful of people and now more room mates because they have no where else to go and my other roomies feel bad for their friends!!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_moon75 View Post
Funny thing is I don't have the lease the room mate does and when I ask she tells me she can't find it! All the rent receipts are in my name. Also the lease was drawn up with our prior property manager who was stealing the rent!! I don't even think the landlord even has a copy of the lease to be honest.
If the last months rent is paid, you can leave when you please.
If the lease is in your name "only",(even if both parties are paying) that means when you move your roommate must move too, unless the leased was changed into the other persons name.
If not, what ever happens, like damages, or doesn't happen, like rent not paid, you will automatically be at fault. With only your name on the lease, you are the "responsible party".

If it's in both names, just make sure that the rent renewal is put in your roomates name only.

Important:
Keep a copy of the 30 day notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting