Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,030,077 times

Advertisements

Great post, Jamies - I can't rep you again so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,803 times
Thank you all for your advice. I was incredibly lucky in that when the tenant re-read the lease agreement she had signed she realized she was liable for $2600.00 over and above the deposits she had put for cleaning and security. She vacated toot-sweet along with her extras and animals (who by the way had been there for 4 months without my consent - neighbors are observant). There was very little damage, but some, and I have learned a good lesson from it. This forum is a great resource! Again thanks to everyone who weighed in...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknmaggie View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I was incredibly lucky in that when the tenant re-read the lease agreement she had signed she realized she was liable for $2600.00 over and above the deposits she had put for cleaning and security. She vacated toot-sweet along with her extras and animals (who by the way had been there for 4 months without my consent - neighbors are observant). There was very little damage, but some, and I have learned a good lesson from it. This forum is a great resource! Again thanks to everyone who weighed in...
Good news indeed and thanks for the update. So many landlord/tenant issues get so screwed up because the tenant signs without taking the time to read and comprehend the lease agreement in its entirety.

On the other hand, some landlords arbitrarily insert lease clauses which are in defiance of state laws concerning landlord/tenant issues. Both tenants and landlords need to be fully aware of landlord/tenant laws applicable in their state. Legal documents are, for the most part, not difficult to comprehend but Reading Comprehension 101 is a prerequisite and it would seem from so many many posts on this forum that that's a major problem.

I'n glad it worked out for you and that you didn't get enmeshed in a huge mess. Consider yourself lucky and better luck next time now that you've learned something. Cheers!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 56,515 times
I think you should evict them. That is a clear violation of the lease.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
4 children and 5 pets? Sounds like a good way for the place to get torn apart.
In Florida it is allowed to have 9 dogs and if you want 3 birds, go ahead, unless you have a lease which clearly is stating who is allowed to live there and who doesn't.

To the OP: put up a 7 Day Notice to comply with the lease and if they don't than you can start the eviction process.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
First you give them a notice of material non-compliance to correct the deficency or quit. This depends on the state. Some it's 3 days, some 5 some 10. The day after, if they haven't corrected the issue you file for eviction and serve them a summons to court. You don't need a lawyer for the notice, but I recommend one for eviction. I'm a LL, a lawyer is a lawyer. We each have our jobs. His is to evict people correctly, mine is to fix and re-rent the apartments.
Small claims court can be done by any one who has common sense and can read carefully and apply what the website or the people at the court house tell you to do. They are no lawyers and not allowed to give you legal advise but they will tell you how many copies, envelopes, you need to have and there is a lot of reading material online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting