Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

Someone could ask, and I would not give it- it's probably not illegal for them to ask but it "seems" shady, even if that isn't the intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post

A lease is a business deal, legally binding. Same as a car loan, student loan, mortgage, etc. LL's don't deserve the same considerations? .
Consideration from who? From the courts? Yes they are given the same consideration from the courts. Or do you mean consideration from their customers. If you mean consideration from their customers(which is what this thread is about), then no they don't deserve the same consideration or any consideration at all. They are given(landlords) the consideration that the tenant is willing to give them. And in general they will be treated with greater scrutiny than say Microsoft and for good reason.

Private landlords in general are regulated to less extent than larger companies and have a much larger probability of being ignorant of the law, taking rash action that legal or not will have a negative impact on the tenant and being in general unstable and have no idea what they are doing. And it is beneficial to keep this information from people who may fit this profile.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Private landlords in general are regulated to less extent than larger companies and have a much larger probability of being ignorant of the law, taking rash action that legal or not will have a negative impact on the tenant and being in general unstable. And it is beneficial to keep this information from people who may fit this profile.
Less regulated? Uh, the law is the law...last time I checked anyway. In my experience as both tenant and LL, the lease and applicable laws applied to all involved. Apparently, in your experience that hasn't been the case.

"Generally Unstable" In what way? You know what; the fog is clearing now...as a tenant I never had any problems with any landlords. It's apparent I was one of the lucky ones? I paid my rent on time, complied with the lease no one forced on me, and got my security deposit(s) back in full for years...so sorry (sincerely) so many haven't had that experience.

BTW, my tenants are "long term" and have no complaints (I check with them often), and I am in no way "ignorant" of the law. Proof? Google the word thelpa and spend a little time there. WARNING: Thelpa scares the hell out of irresponsible tenants!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
I do not give landlords my work number either. If they ask I tell them I do not take personal calls and work and refer them to my cell number where I will check my voicemail at my lunch break. If I was in your situation I would have filed for a harassment restraining order.
I had to move, I couldn't take it.

This man was constantly harassing me. I have found that after this experience I am more in tune with the wackloon landlord vibe though. SOME. not all are complete and total control, stalker freaks...

Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
I give my tenant my bank account number so he can deposit the rent into my account. Yes it is a designated account for his deposits.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Less regulated? Uh, the law is the law...last time I checked anyway. In my experience as both tenant and LL, the lease and applicable laws applied to all involved. Apparently, in your experience that hasn't been the case.
No. For instance most property managers have real estate licenses. In some cases if the property manager goes outside his rights you may file a complaint with the real estate board and he will lose his license or be sanctioned in some fashion. This will make him more likely to act reasonably and within the law. This is just one example. The only recourse against a landlord is to sue him, which is not as attractive as the landlord acting within the law in the first place.

Quote:
"Generally Unstable" In what way?
Generally Unstable meaning not acting reasonably, as mentioned above harassing people at work etc.
One local example is of someone who called code enforcement to compel the landlord to keep his unit in habitable condition who was harassed retaliated against. Of course the tenant was savy and sued and got a restraining order, but the ideal situation is to avoid this situation all together.
You can see by reading this board and others. Landlords asking whether they have a duty to clear raw sewage that has spilled in the yard(!) whether tenants are correct for asking for portable toilets in the case of lack of running water etc. I can guarantee you that these are private landlords asking such ridiculous questions and that their tenants ended up having to take them to court so they could find out the right answer or it was just too much hassle and they just moved. This is getting off topic as the question is about account numbers specifically.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
No. For instance most property managers have real estate licenses. In some cases if the property manager goes outside his rights you may file a complaint with the real estate board and he will lose his license or be sanctioned in some fashion. This will make him more likely to act reasonably and within the law. This is just one example. The only recourse against a landlord is to sue him, which is not as attractive as the landlord acting within the law in the first place.

Generally Unstable meaning not acting reasonably, as mentioned above harassing people at work etc.
One local example is of someone who called code enforcement to compel the landlord to keep his unit in habitable condition who was harassed retaliated against. Of course the tenant was savy and sued and got a restraining order, but the ideal situation is to avoid this situation all together.
You can see by reading this board and others. Landlords asking whether they have a duty to clear raw sewage that has spilled in the yard(!) whether tenants are correct for asking for portable toilets in the case of lack of running water etc. I can guarantee you that these are private landlords asking such ridiculous questions and that their tenants ended up having to take them to court so they could find out the right answer or it was just too much hassle and they just moved. This is getting off topic as the question is about account numbers specifically.
Off topic? Ok, fair enough. PARTING SHOT: I insist and provide prospective and new tenants with a copy of the Alaska Landlord Tenant Act Handbook. All that crap you listed has never, nor will ever happen to me or my tenants. I ensure they know their rights. I take my Landlord responsibilities very seriously. That duplex used to be my home, and I take care of my tenants like they were family. Again, it's a shame so many have been "screwed" by lousy landlords, however, I have no control over that.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Well, from some of the responses I see why LL's require this information. For the poster who wouldn't give a LL their work phone number. I call the employer and occasionally go by to see if the applicant really does work there.

A smart LL knows that an empty unit is better than a non-paying unit that is destroyed. Fortunately for some tenants there are new and stupid LL's entering the market every day to take advantage of. Those are the LL's who's wrecked properties I buy for 10 cents on the dollar.

I give ALL my tenants the bank account number to the rent deposit account so they can deposit their rent. We don't use checks or cash. The tenant usually just goes online and pays their rent. In fact they can pay it by credit card via paypal for a service fee. Sometimes there is over $20,000 in that account after rents are paid, and in 2 years I have yet to have a tenant try to break into the account and steal the money. That is a major big time federal felony, my tenants have better things to do, like work and save money for their own homes.

If you want to rent one of my properties you need to prove to me that you have funds. I'm sorry, I don't believe a thing any applicant says unless I verify it in black and white. If you say you make 10K a month but can't show me a bank statement I will just assume you are a liar.

And FYI - a cell phone is not sufficient for a contact number anymore. Too many tenants don't pay their pre-paid cell phone and they change numbers more often than I change my underware.

Let me take this opportunity to remind tenants of Landlord Rule #1:

The Landlord is in charge. The Tenant is not.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
When a tenant refuses to comply with my rental application THAT is "big red flag" and I assume THAT prospective tenant is the "sleaze" whom I want nothing to do with. Teachertype, with an attitude like that, you are precisely the type of tenant I avoid.

A lease is a business deal, legally binding. Same as a car loan, student loan, mortgage, etc. LL's don't deserve the same considerations? Then tell that to courts when you default - and you had better believe a well written lease protects the tenant equally.

I've been a tenant for years prior to becoming a LL and I have NEVER not been asked to provide the information so many of you poster are totally up in arms about.
This is exactly why some LL's should NOT rent property AT ALL assuming MOST of your tenants are *sleaze*.

FYI : My LL did not run a credit check on me, did not ask for bank account information, did not require a HUGE deposit, did not ask for personal information . Did you KNOW all the tenants here have lived here for 10 to 15 years ? Do you know WHY ? They are treated as HUMAN with respect and NOBODY ever wants to leave here ? You know why ?? Because the rent is AMAZING and the LL treats everyone with RESPECT and LIVES right across from me. He never comes over without permission to enter. Never bangs on anyones door for the rent because EVERYONE PAYS THEIR RENT ! Wow ! Amazing concept !

Start at the SOURCE of ANY good business. Whether you sell hot dogs on the corner or rent a multiplex. It is NOT all about the MONEY. Don't ever forget the HUMAN FACTOR. Or you will fail, everytime

Can you say your tenants are happy and pay their rent on time ? Did you have a bad experience so you treat ALL tenants based on what ONE did to you ?

We have good LL's ( yes, I am happy to say I have one ! ) who treat their tenants exceptional.

Then we have slum lords, opportunists and con men. We also have bad tenants who destroy property and don't pay their rent on time but since I and MANY others DO treat property with respect and DO pay their rent on time, why are ALL tenants being classified as lazy *sleaze *?

Someone asked why should you give very sensitive information to a LL: Well : MIGHT be a shark, a scammer, someone who is entering FORECLOSURE and FORGOT to tell the tenant one MONTH after they moved in and now the tenant battles to keep that ROOF over their head.

Yes, I have owned a home. Yes, I understand you need to make your money off your units. Yes, you need to make sure you are not renting to criminals. To me, a background check is far more pertinent that a credit check .

Would I as a LL rent to someone with bad credit ? Depends on the circumstance. Can they pay/ and have they paid their bills on time ? If not, why not ? Each tenant should be viewed on a case by case basis.

If you have decided to buy a building which contains 15 apartments and you will be making rental money from 15 tenants then please THINK about all aspects such as human dignity, timely repairs, privacy,( ect. ect ) and if you can NOT treat the tenant as human you should NOT be renting units. Period .

Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
This is exactly why some LL's should NOT rent property AT ALL assuming MOST of your tenants are *sleaze*.

FYI : My LL did not run a credit check on me, did not ask for bank account information, did not require a HUGE deposit, did not ask for personal information . Did you KNOW all the tenants here have lived here for 10 to 15 years ? Do you know WHY ? They are treated as HUMAN with respect and NOBODY ever wants to leave here ? You know why ?? Because the rent is AMAZING and the LL treats everyone with RESPECT and LIVES right across from me. He never comes over without permission to enter. Never bangs on anyones door for the rent because EVERYONE PAYS THEIR RENT ! Wow ! Amazing concept !

Start at the SOURCE of ANY good business. Whether you sell hot dogs on the corner or rent a multiplex. It is NOT all about the MONEY. Don't ever forget the HUMAN FACTOR. Or you will fail, everytime

Can you say your tenants are happy and pay their rent on time ? Did you have a bad experience so you treat ALL tenants based on what ONE did to you ?

We have good LL's ( yes, I am happy to say I have one ! ) who treat their tenants exceptional.

Then we have slum lords, opportunists and con men. We also have bad tenants who destroy property and don't pay their rent on time but since I and MANY others DO treat property with respect and DO pay their rent on time, why are ALL tenants being classified as lazy *sleaze *?

Someone asked why should you give very sensitive information to a LL: Well : MIGHT be a shark, a scammer, someone who is entering FORECLOSURE and FORGOT to tell the tenant one MONTH after they moved in and now the tenant battles to keep that ROOF over their head.

Yes, I have owned a home. Yes, I understand you need to make your money off your units. Yes, you need to make sure you are not renting to criminals. To me, a background check is far more pertinent that a credit check .

Would I as a LL rent to someone with bad credit ? Depends on the circumstance. Can they pay/ and have they paid their bills on time ? If not, why not ? Each tenant should be viewed on a case by case basis.

If you have decided to buy a building which contains 15 apartments and you will be making rental money from 15 tenants then please THINK about all aspects such as human dignity, timely repairs, privacy,( ect. ect ) and if you can NOT treat the tenant as human you should NOT be renting units. Period .
Wow! Feel better, WannaliveinGreenville? Good, because I hear Dr. Phil is taking house calls these days. I however got lost in your rant - might have been the "caps" and the "pretty" fonts. For a guy not treating people with "human dignity" I do pretty well. I'll continue to do what works, so spare me your over the top "opinion" and have a really nice day, ma'am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting