Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM

136 posts, read 726,270 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a new apartment. I can hear the person above me and her two dogs walking around. I can hear there steps and a creaking of the floor also. I specifically chose this apartment because I thought it would be quiet, being as that it backs up to a wooded creek. I am really sensitive to noise and it seems to be waking me up at night also, preventing me from sleeping well. It would seem obvious that I should have only chosen the top floor, but I've lived in previous apartments with people above you and never hard a problem like this. I don't think asking her to be more quiet would really help, as part of the problem is her dogs and just the general construction not so much that she is constantly walking around. I have a white noise machine, but it doesn't seem to drown out the sound at all. I'm wondering if other people have had experiences like this and what they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I recently moved into a new apartment. I can hear the person above me and her two dogs walking around. I can hear there steps and a creaking of the floor also. I specifically chose this apartment because I thought it would be quiet, being as that it backs up to a wooded creek. I am really sensitive to noise and it seems to be waking me up at night also, preventing me from sleeping well. It would seem obvious that I should have only chosen the top floor, but I've lived in previous apartments with people above you and never hard a problem like this. I don't think asking her to be more quiet would really help, as part of the problem is her dogs and just the general construction not so much that she is constantly walking around. I have a white noise machine, but it doesn't seem to drown out the sound at all. I'm wondering if other people have had experiences like this and what they did.
It's either never been as loud as in your case, or I'm just not as sensitive to the noise as you are. All thing considered, I believe the only choice you'd have is to move into another unit. Maybe you can transfer to a unit in the same complex.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,591 times
You can not complain because people are walking around. It is her apartment, she can walk around it. If someone came to you and said 'stop walking around in your apartment' - would you do it? I can understand asking someone to stop stomping, or running, or doing jumping jacks, but walking is a normal everyday activity.

I do occasionally hear the people above us walking (and they do have kids that run, but hey, my kids like to run, too). The noise is not a welcome noise, but I do not have the right to interfere with them enjoying their own apartment.

If you have trouble sleeping, I would suggest a white noise machine or some ear plugs. I wear ear plugs thanks to my husband's snoring, and while they are a little uncomfortable at first, you should adjust quickly, and they block out a LOT of noise!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Not much you can about the upstairs noise issue.

If they are not running, or stomping, it just means there is poor noise insulation between the floors.

Your options are..

1) Move to an upstairs unit.
2) Move to a single house.
3) Put up with it.
4) Ear Plugs + Fan + White Noise machine.

Best of luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
You should have chosen a single family home or some place where no wooden floors or tile is allowed only carpet and perhaps earbuds can help.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
Some apartment buildings do have requirements that a certain percentage of the floor must have throw rugs. Might want to find out if that is the case in your building. Otherwise, you may just have to stick it out until your lease is up.

I'm dealing with something similar and I don't like noise (I can hear even hear the phone buzzing on the floor), but I'm planning on moving, anyway, so I've learned to live with it for the time being.

For some levity:

best of craigslist: To the Minotaur that lives above me.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I've had similar experiences in two different apartments/condos. I could hear my upstairs neighbor vacuuming and walking around (the ceiling would creak).

In the last condo I lived in, even though it was carpeted (by COA rules) I could hear my upstairs neighbor walking, her kid running around, in the bathroom - I could hear her giving him a bath and even clearly hear her talking to him. Oftentimes, it was like she would drop a huge basket of laundry on the floor as my entire condo would shake. And there were the times her kid would be throwing a tantrum in the middle of the night and keep my husband and I awake for at least 30 minutes.

My husband and I would vent to each other but we never complained to our landlord or even to my upstairs neighbor because she wasn't doing anything excessive and chalked it up to condo/apartment living. Plus, it was temporary (1 yr.) How wonderful it is not to have to deal with that any longer.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Anyone who is really sensitive to noise just should not live in an apartment/townhome/condo. There is always a risk of noise in those settings. Heck, there is a risk of noise in a detached home, too.

We rent a house, but the 3rd floor is a separate unit. We don't hear much from them but it can be a little annoying at times. I'd rather live in a single family home so we didn't have to deal, but this was the best we could do right now. I'd never dream of complaining to them or about hem, since I am sure they can hear us sometimes, too, and noise is just unavoidable when you live in a shared setting.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
I'm sensitive to noise. I have a rule:

Never never never ever live underneath another unit -- ever.
It doesn't matter how well constructed the place is. The
noise will bother me - a lot.

Another thing I learned ( but it is uncommon ) is never live in a
unit that has a continuous wooden floor over a crawlspace such
as a single family house that has been divided.

Mostly - never never ever live underneath another unit -- ever.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
We live in a house. When I leave the room, the floor creaks so loud, it sounds like an entire marching band. My husband is a light sleeper. I try so hard to sneak to the bathroom without waking him. FAIL !! 30 sonic boom alarm clocks (for the hearing impaired/deaf) would be quieter than my tiptoe across the creaks and groans. He understands. He knows I'm not TRYING to waken him. He knows I'm actually going s-l-o-w - oh, so slow, step (pause) by step - or as he says CREAK/BOOM by CREAK/BOOM. I can't change it - so now I just go quietly without making it a monumental effort.

Some things just are.

Buy earplugs. Put a pillow over your head. Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting