Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

236 posts, read 594,262 times

Advertisements

What is a typical moving fee? How much would a typical moving company charge to move a small 2 bedroom house; it has a small living room, kitchen, small basement and a small garage (a Toyota Camry can barely fit in there)? The move would be about 250-275 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM

232 posts, read 1,651,146 times
It really depends on the company, so I'd suggest requesting quotes from them directly. The last quote we got was $950 from one company and $1350 from another.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,850,685 times
Remeber you get what you pay for. Sometimes the cheapest is not the best one to go with. Also, if your moving a distance, try PODS. I did it from Philadelphia to Chicago and there was no damage, it arrived when I wanted it. I hired a crew to load it and unload it. It all worked out much cheaper than a moving company.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM

236 posts, read 594,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Remeber you get what you pay for. Sometimes the cheapest is not the best one to go with. Also, if your moving a distance, try PODS. I did it from Philadelphia to Chicago and there was no damage, it arrived when I wanted it. I hired a crew to load it and unload it. It all worked out much cheaper than a moving company.

How did you hire a crew to load and unload it, are there companies that just help you load and unload?

Do you remember the company you used?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,850,685 times
You can find people to load and unload on Craig's List. I used Manpower. It's a temp agency for day workers. I got 2 very nice helpful and strong men. It took about 4 hours to get it all done and they were a big help. Same with unloading at the other end.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM

914 posts, read 4,438,719 times
You can get most moving companies to help you just load/unload. It would probably be cheaper to rent a couple of college students or something, but if you were concerned with having a "professional," it isn't that hard to find.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,649,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You can find people to load and unload on Craig's List. I used Manpower. It's a temp agency for day workers. I got 2 very nice helpful and strong men. It took about 4 hours to get it all done and they were a big help. Same with unloading at the other end.
To go off of this. If you get a cheap quote the moving company may hold your stuff hostage for more money after this. Knowing that you will need your stuff and not want to wait to sue them for it back, even if you have a contract. This is common practice. So make sure you get a reputable company.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:26 AM

232 posts, read 1,651,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
To go off of this. If you get a cheap quote the moving company may hold your stuff hostage for more money after this. Knowing that you will need your stuff and not want to wait to sue them for it back, even if you have a contract. This is common practice. So make sure you get a reputable company.
Definitely this. Other companies will steal stuff... or just be less gentle than they should be, and break things.

Personally, while I've entertained the idea of movers, I've always ended up doing it myself. If something breaks, it's my own fault, which means I am much more careful of my possessions than other people would be.

Maybe have a contract written up before they move anything, confirming the price at X. But I guess even then, they could still try to hold your stuff.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM

912 posts, read 5,248,637 times
DO NOT PAY FOR HOURLY RATE. ONLY, AND ONLY A FLAT-FEE.

For one move, from a 2b-room to another 2b-room we ended up paying a little over $1,000. They had 3 guys, but it was their 4th move of the day and they were exhausted. They originally wanted to charge me $1,600; but I fought it because these guys were in no shape to do the work; thus worked very slow.

For our next move, to another 2b-room apartment, we lucked out with some local guys who were just getting started, we only paid $250 for the whole thing. These young guys did such a great job, we threw another $100 on top for tip.

We found both movers through Craiglist in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting