Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,363,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort82 View Post
On craigslist she has it under vacation properites and has it listed for $900/week, $140/night.
Short-term rentals are always more expensive than long-term rentals - that's normal.

Quote:
They have it listed for $179,900 and if you go on Zillow.com it is estimated at $128,000.
The prices listed on Zillow are just a estimate, based on averages for the area - so the Zillow price may or may not be accurate. But I would never rely on a Zillow estimate.

Quote:
These people are greedy and took advantage of me. So wish me luck on the SCC!!!
It sounds like they may owe you some money back, but you most likely lost your earnest money when you decided not to buy the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM

10 posts, read 20,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Short-term rentals are always more expensive than long-term rentals - that's normal.

This is in Boise, Idaho. For a 1500 sqft house in a slummy neighborhood. I could see this price for a house at the Oregon Coast, but for a little 1970's house? Really?

The prices listed on Zillow are just a estimate, based on averages for the area - so the Zillow price may or may not be accurate. But I would never rely on a Zillow estimate.

Yes, I know Zillow is just an estimate, but when they are asking $50k more, you tend to wonder how are they going to get that price they are asking.

It sounds like they may owe you some money back, but you most likely lost your earnest money when you decided not to buy the house.
How did I lose my earnest money when they are the one that gave me a 30 day notice? I'm not the one that backed out, they are!!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Was it your fault that the waterline broke? I would think if you caused the damage through misuse then it would be your responsibilty to pay for the repairs but if it was just something that happened it should be the landlords responsiblity. Since all we know is that there was a leak from the waterline for the fridge, it is really hard to offer advice.

As far as getting your earnest money I would assume that is probably lost to you. I agree with those who advised you talking to a lawyer, that is alot of money you have lost.

The waterline broke because the owners of the home bought a used fridge and when they installed it and pushed it against the wall they pinched the line. So when it started to flood the main shutoff was moved under the house when it used to be right under the kitchen sink. Yes...the homeowner had it moved to under the house. I have no clue why. The insurance company told me that I did a great job keeping the water contained in the areas that I did with the amount of water that was there. So because they moved the shutoff under the house I had to call a plumber to come out at 4 am to turn it off and cost me $155. I had to pay for that. This has been an awful ordeal.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,113,306 times
This is why you need RENTER'S INSURANCE! I always tell my tenants that they should purchase it because it says explicitly in the lease that their personal posessions are not covered in the event of a fire, flood, tornado, etc. For $100/year it is more than worth it and you would not be having this conversation now...

Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
This is why you need RENTER'S INSURANCE! I always tell my tenants that they should purchase it because it says explicitly in the lease that their personal posessions are not covered in the event of a fire, flood, tornado, etc. For $100/year it is more than worth it and you would not be having this conversation now...

None of my possessions were damaged because I contained it and moved my things. Where did I say my personal property was damaged? I didn't. I simply stated that I was screwed out of thousands of dollars due to rent, earnest money, repairs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting