Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeka20112 View Post
I live that apartment for over year and I decide to move out and I have furnished in the apartment what will I do Bout landlord throw my furnished without eviction paper from court
I have no idea what you are asking. Please re-post it and write slowly so you get everything in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
Default I moved into a rental house, but my landlord never moved out

I signed the lease to rent a five bedroom house with a large family room, but my landlord never moved his belongings out. He left it for me, a 72 year old woman, to back breakingly pack and move all his belongings before I could place my own. He moved into a much smaller house and also bought new furniture for it. He just left what he did not want or would not fit into his new home at the time. In the first months, he'd call almost daily or even show up at the back door stating, "Miss Novaline, I have to come over to get something from the blue room." He says this as if it is his right to use my rental home for his storage unit. When I complain or ask him to move his items so that I can occupy the space, he asks me why I need so much room. In the house that I pay the rent to occupy, what business is it of his what I need my rooms for. When I moved in, the only accessible room was the one on the first floor that served as his bedroom. He took his own bedroom set with him to the new house, but left most of the other rooms full of furniture, clothing and debris. One friend told me it resembled a landfill. It has been over seven months and he is still occupying rooms in my home. The worse aspect is that he continues to access my home weekly, sometimes daily, to retrieve items as if it is his storage unit. I have no sense of privacy whatsoever. Despite my pleas, he refuses to remove everything stating he has no place to put it. He also stated he was not going to pay to place them in a storage unit. He'd promised to hire someone to pack and move his items, but after he helped me move my large items, he saw another solution; do nothing and I would have to move it myself. He has plenty of storage sheds and garages to put his extraneous belongings in if he only had the inclination to do so. He commandeered my entire family room to place the bags and boxes I packed up for him as well as furniture and other items he has no room for in his new home. In other words, he moved the items I packed from one room in my home to another. Because he was entering the property when I was not at home or when I was upstairs asleep, I lost all sense of security and privacy. In fact, I am terrified at night when I am supposed to be asleep. I am suspect of every noise and every bark the dogs make. I am especially afraid because I no longer have my handgun to protect me from intruders. I can't help but think what would he do if I actually went downstairs and encountered him in my home. He has even removed items, such as my handgun, personal items as well as photographs of the devastation I encountered when I moved here. I am accusing him because no one else has access to my home except him. He also mortified me when he said that he does not react they way other do when they are angry or upset. He told me when he is upset, "Things just start happening." That is the scariest thing a landlord, or anyone else for that matter,has ever said to me. For safekeeping, I began carrying the file folders compiled for my lawsuit with me every time I left the house. One day I forgot and he entered and took the pics, copy of my lease and notes from the folder. The fact that he got them on the one day I neglected to take them with me also alerted me to the fact that he had to have come in other days too. Of course, I have the originals on flash drive and I even backed them up in an online folder for further security. I filed a claim in Magistrate Court to have all my money refunded and compensation for packing his belongings and pain and suffering. He tried to convince me that my family room was a separate unit with it's own separate utilities. He maintained that blatant lie until I told him I shut off my main power switch and the lights went out all over the house included the family room. Now, instead of referring to the family room as unit B, he refers to it as the storage room. A couple of months ago, he removed my key from the lock of the door that enters the family room from the kitchen when he saw the outhouse type hook I placed on the door to prevent him from coming into my home. He'd removed the door knob before I moved in so the key also served as the door knob. As far as he knows, I am locked out of my own family room and the items I have in there. I had a lawyer review my lease to be sure that my lease states I rented the entire house before I filed the lawsuit. The lawyer was appalled at my situation and stated he has never even heard of such a thing; a landlord renting and house and remaining in it with the tenant. To date, he has still not vacated the premises and relates to me as if everything is fine. He filed an answer that states that my home is in a different county than the court I filed in. Magistrate courts in both counties instructed me to file in the county he resides in. He did not deny any of my charges in his answer. In case you're wondering, this is a living nightmare and I can hardly believe it is happening to me. My court date is December 30, 2015. I will post the judge's decision after the court date.

Last edited by eloquentimagery; 12-04-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 11:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloquentimagery View Post
I signed the lease to rent a five bedroom house with a large family room, but my landlord never moved his belongings out.

My court date is December 30, 2015. I will post the judge's decision after the court date.

Holy wall of text, Batman.

That was difficult to read, without paragraph breaks, but I made it through. Your story is a horrible one, and I'm sorry that is happening to you.

I was going to suggest getting an attorney and taking it to court, but you are already doing that, so I look forward to hearing the update. The only other comment I have is that in my area, you file in the location where the property is. Where the owner lives is irrelevant. Your area could be different, but I would double check that detail with your attorney right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting