U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
 
1,799 posts, read 2,236,611 times
Reputation: 1387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Fighter 1,
I can tell you that the tenants detest these inspections.
Speak for yourself, as a tenant I do not detest or even have a problem with inspections.

Quote:
Who is happy to have someone come in and judge their housekeeping?
If you keep the place picked up then I don't see why you'd get so worried about it. Keep on top of keeping the place nice and then when they issue a notice for inspection you're not having to spend hours doing cleanup.

Quote:
This is a senior complex. No one is doing anything illegal.
That's just silly. Being old doesn't mean people don't break the law.

Quote:
If they were, inspection would be by a judge issued probable cause warrent executed by a policeman.
That's if they were solely looking through the apartment to catch someone doing something illegal. If they come to inspect the apartment and find marijuana sitting on the kitchen table then there's no need for a warrant because the cause behind the inspection was to see how the property was being maintained. Really now... do some research before you make such outrageous claims.

Quote:
Then, and only then, can they go in and look wherever. Even cops can't look at anything that isn't out in plain sight without a warrant, yet landlords think they can. I question that they do have that right. If they do, it should be subject to constitutional challenge.
Adreana
The police don't own the cupboards, the landlord does. Two entirely different concepts falling under two entirely different set of laws.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Maine
2,192 posts, read 3,467,574 times
Reputation: 2293
Oh, my goodness. Someone is in dire need of a constitutional law lesson, lol!

The landlord, as the owner of the premises, certainly has the right to inspect their property -- with the required notice. Once a year is not enough in my opinion -- I'd do it every 6 months. That way they can make sure nothing needs to be addressed.

Seriously, you're not going to believe anyone on here, but call your local legal services for the elderly. They will tell you exactly the same thing I did -- I guarantee it.

And I am a tenant, thank you very much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
 
65 posts, read 103,647 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Well you're wrong!
About what, Houston3? Alot of things were mentioned. Is this a blanket wrong, or are you referring to specifics?

Adreana
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Status: "I want summer back." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: NYC
1,396 posts, read 1,206,059 times
Reputation: 2171
Houston bolded part of your statement. That's what they were referring to when they said you were wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,302 posts, read 1,802,752 times
Reputation: 1361
As a LL if *I* care about how my property ( the rental some one resides in ) is taken care of I WILL do at least a yearly walk thru to inspect . Usually I try to do it in the middle of the lease agreement and if it seems to need it ( as in a elderly hoarder problem ) I would be inclined to do it 2 to as many as 4 times a year to make sure things do not get out of hand . If theres children in a unit its an automatic 3x a year inspection with 72 hour notice that I am going to do a walk thru and bug check . Sure its nosey but yanno what? Its MY property and not everyone is as careful with my walls and carpet and "stuff" as you might be .. so yeh my rents are reasonable for that reason .. and yep I get less than upper middle class people in my units BUT they stay and are happpy to let me in to do that walkthru if it saves them money .. So save your breath OP and be happy I care enough to make sure my places are nice and kept up .. It takes 10 minutes to do a walk thru and another 15 to 30 minutes to make with the nice chat time befor I am out of most folks door ..
I also make notes of issues ( nope not calling them damages just yet ) and I will be looking for that issue next walk thru or at move out time .. if its fixed then it no longer and issue if its not and has gotten worse then it becomes damages
Your trying to blather about something that needs to be done to keep the building safe for all tenants and 10 minutes of a tenants time is not worth the work up your trying to make out of it .
If you dont like it then move the old lady into your home or a nursing home and really see what happens to her sense of privacy ..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM
 
65 posts, read 103,647 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Oh, my goodness. Someone is in dire need of a constitutional law lesson, lol!

The landlord, as the owner of the premises, certainly has the right to inspect their property -- with the required notice. Once a year is not enough in my opinion -- I'd do it every 6 months. That way they can make sure nothing needs to be addressed.

Seriously, you're not going to believe anyone on here, but call your local legal services for the elderly. They will tell you exactly the same thing I did -- I guarantee it.

And I am a tenant, thank you very much.
Lawmom; I am not saying there is no right to inspection. I am saying the inspection needs to be for a SPECIFIED REASON that is not just because he wants to check on the property. Some reason should be given such as to make sure the structure and systems are running properly. No reason for the inspection has been given the tenants. They are worried they will be graded on their housekeeping, some thing like that. You are all assuming reasons for the inspection, and defending your assumptions in your posts. You may be a tenant, but yours is not the usual viewpoint. I don't think I need a constitutional lesson. You should check the Bill of Rights. AGAIN, these rentals are the tenant's paid leaseholds.
Adreana
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
Reputation: 12798
A landlord inspecting his property once a year to make sure it's in good shape and nothing needs repair is a good thing. It's not an invasion of privacy at all, especially if the tenants know that it's going to happen well in advance (and it sounds like they do). It's the landlord living up to his responsibility and his end of the bargain to continue to provide a safe rental that's in good condition.

I think you're stretching more than a little to be all upset about it. If your aunt has nothing to hide, what's the problem?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
 
1,799 posts, read 2,236,611 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Lawmom; I am not saying there is no right to inspection. I am saying the inspection needs to be for a SPECIFIED REASON that is not just because he wants to check on the property. Some reason should be given such as to make sure the structure and systems are running properly. No reason for the inspection has been given the tenants. They are worried they will be graded on their housekeeping, some thing like that. You are all assuming reasons for the inspection, and defending your assumptions in your posts. You may be a tenant, but yours is not the usual viewpoint. I don't think I need a constitutional lesson. You should check the Bill of Rights. AGAIN, these rentals are the tenant's paid leaseholds.
Adreana
Oh my gosh... you answered your own question.

The reason they do the inspection is to check the structure, the plumbing, etc.

That is the reason they do the whole inspection. They don't assume it has to be spelled out because it should be obvious.


Landlord/Tenant laws are not covered in the Bill of Rights - you should read them again. Tenants don't have claim to property owner rights.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,884 posts, read 10,130,252 times
Reputation: 6662
I'm a LL. Twice a year I go into each property. I bring along an A/C tech in the Spring, and a Furnace tech in the Fall. I bring drain cleaner and boric acid and an organic insect repellant. While the Furance- A/C system is being serviced, I pour drain cleaner down the drains and do a light surface spray with the insecticide. I put boric acid in seams way back under the sinks in the vanity/kitchen cabinet. I also bring WD40 and spray hinges and window rails. I check light switches, flooring, doors, etc. I do this to keep the properties in good shape -they are, afterall my investments -- and to keep my tenants safe. In the houses/townhouse I also use carpenter ant repellant around the perimeter. I also use this time as an opportunity to discover if there are gashes in walls or pets chewing on window sills, etc. so I can address these issues to protect my investment. I sure would hate myself if my tenants moved out and I discovered the place was demolished and had been slowly deteriorating while I hung at home not taking care of business.

One of my tenants is a real horder-type. She has stacks of papers all over and clothes flung everywhere. Another young family with 3 kids under 5 have a very messy house. Once, I actually saw a piece of layer cake on the floor. But neither of these tenants is damaging my property (tho I did check next time at the layer cake family for signs of other food/bugs, etc....none) and I really do keep my white glove at home. All I care about is that my property is not being damaged and my tenants are living in a safe place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
Reputation: 12798
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreana View Post
Lawmom; I am not saying there is no right to inspection. I am saying the inspection needs to be for a SPECIFIED REASON that is not just because he wants to check on the property. Some reason should be given such as to make sure the structure and systems are running properly. No reason for the inspection has been given the tenants. They are worried they will be graded on their housekeeping, some thing like that. You are all assuming reasons for the inspection, and defending your assumptions in your posts. You may be a tenant, but yours is not the usual viewpoint. I don't think I need a constitutional lesson. You should check the Bill of Rights. AGAIN, these rentals are the tenant's paid leaseholds.
Adreana
Okay, I'm pretty familiar with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Could you point to the specific part of either that addresses the issue of tenants having rights that supercede those of a landlord to inspect his property to assure that it is in good condition?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top