U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 10,547 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So now that I got the house and have it all fixed up and ready to rent. I am on Craigslist. What would you guys suggest is the best and minimal cost way to spread the word on a vacant house for rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM

63 posts, read 54,124 times
We print out a flyer with the same info as the craiglist add [ but move the pics to the top] then we make little tabs with the phone # and address along the bottom of the flyer so people can tear off a tab and call. The flyers get placed on bulletin boards in area laundromats & food stores. If you know any store owners, ask to put one in their windows for a month. You do have pics on craiglist of the inside of your rental, right? Many people won't even consider a place without pics on craigslist.

Be sure there is a "FOR RENT" sign on the property to grab the attention of passerby. We get a lot of calls from people who were driving by.

If there is a very local free paper, check into their rates for advertising. Don't overspend with that. The big rental season is just beginning. Generally, April - July are the best months for receing a lot of applicants.

Tell people you know you are renting. We get a lot of leads that way. Nearby churches can also be a good place to let them know you have a place available.

When people do call, ask them how they found out about the rental as part of your pre-screening questions. This will help you find out where your advertising is most effective.

Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times
MLS, Realtor.com, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM

63 posts, read 54,124 times
To list on the MLS, you need to use a realtor and no offense to anyone here, but besides the MLS listing, they just seem to advertise on craiglist like the rest of us - plus they want a month of rent as fees from the renter. So unless you think your probable renters are the type to have 1st month's rent, 1 -1.5 month's security, plus maybe a stipend to help you run a credit check, plus the realtor fee, then it may not be worth it when other avenues tend to produce results.

If you have not had any decent prospects by August, I would then consider going that route.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,467,574 times
I think it depends on the area. Around here, there are few listing on Realtor.com, so it's not even worth checking out. Craigslist has quite a few, if you can weed through the scams. Trulia and Zillow have rental listings, too.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM

274 posts, read 309,176 times
Well I'm not a landlord or a renter but I have been looking. I'd say Ebay's classified ads section, Hotpads.com, or rent.com (which is also a part of ebay, kinda like half.com)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM

1,096 posts, read 2,490,149 times
In my experience realtors don't want to deal with rentals, all the headaches of someone wnating a nice place to live but no big payofff like with selling a house.

Sure they will put you on the MLS but most others arent' using realtors to find rentals and the realtors working in rentals dont care that much in mmy experience.

Plus most realtors wind up putting all their rentals on craigslist anway in my experience so that seems to be a good place.

I would put a sign up in the yard. If your in an area with a college or grad school put sings up there. Maybe local newspaper.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
Back when I did advertise... the sign in the window worked well because it catered to people of their friends already in the area.

When I managed rentals near the University, I would call the housing office and ended up renting to several visiting professors.

Also, local Housing Authorities will often have a free referral system for those in that market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting