Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM

11 posts, read 33,527 times

Advertisements

My husband and me decided to live in Salt Lake City.

Our background:
I am from Germany and I will legally immigrate to the US. My husband lived the past years in Florida. I worked as an office clerk in Germany and my husband has experience in labor work, warehousing and construction. Right now, we are in Germany, waiting for my immigration to go through. We have about 5k saved up.

Now we chose SLC for our living place. However, we are confused about the renting situation since it's going to be our first time. Here are our questions:

Do we need a co-signer to rent an apartment? What if we don't have one (family is too far away)?

Are there apartments which don't do credit/salary checks? Since we relocate to UT, we will have to apply for jobs and unfortunately, we won't have them lined up for us as soon as we arrive.

As for temporary housing, is it possible to get mail and packages shipped to this appartment? Does it count as an residential place? Will jobs accept us while we live in such a housing?

We won't have any references. Will this be a problem?

Any tips and advices are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I think it won't be easy. Our home owners will need proof of funds and/or job.

We do a background check....with only 5K you can only rent a home up to $ 500.- because you need to get a job fast. We charge first, last and security deposit and with no proof an average rental is not what we will be able to rent to you unless you have a co-signer.

We are ourself from Europe and the first time we came here we were renters but a company was our reference and the complex was dealing with them all the time and the rent payments came directly from them for the first 2 month and the rest was through us and they knew that was save.

With the economy the way it is, only a LL that needs the money very badly might be willing to rent to you, but check the LL out so you are sure the place is not in foreclosure and you get scammed.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM

415 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danda View Post
My husband and me decided to live in Salt Lake City.

Our background:
I am from Germany and I will legally immigrate to the US. My husband lived the past years in Florida. I worked as an office clerk in Germany and my husband has experience in labor work, warehousing and construction. Right now, we are in Germany, waiting for my immigration to go through. We have about 5k saved up.

Now we chose SLC for our living place. However, we are confused about the renting situation since it's going to be our first time. Here are our questions:

Do we need a co-signer to rent an apartment? What if we don't have one (family is too far away)?

It does not matter where the family lives. The location of the co-signer is irrelevant ( must be in the U.S.,though).

Are there apartments which don't do credit/salary checks? Since we relocate to UT, we will have to apply for jobs and unfortunately, we won't have them lined up for us as soon as we arrive.

The apartments that don't do that are ones you probably do not want to live in. However, private rentals might be an option. Will still be hard to find one, IMO.

As for temporary housing, is it possible to get mail and packages shipped to this appartment? Does it count as an residential place? Will jobs accept us while we live in such a housing?

What's "temporary" housing to you? An apartment in which you live only a few months? Nobody cares about that. That's irrelevant how long you live in there.

We won't have any references. Will this be a problem?

Yes. You might offer to pay some months of rent in advance.

Any tips and advices are welcome.
Willkommen.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 AM

11 posts, read 33,527 times
Another question about temporary housing which came to my mind.

Will you get thrown out after a certian amount of time? What if we don't find a home fast enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting