Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 AM

28 posts, read 55,197 times

Advertisements

I usually choose my rental properties from word of mouth. Next week, I am visiting a new city half way across the country to check out apartments for a new job in a few months. I don't know anybody in that city, so I'm just going off of what I can find through internet searches, but a lot of smaller apartment management companies don't have reviews.

When I visit, what kinds of questions should I ask and what kinds of things should I look out for?

How can I talk to current residents without being awkward and just loitering around the property?

Which is preferable? Small companies (or just individuals) with just a few units or mega companies? I've heard that sometimes the smaller ones care more for their buildings, but there may be less people resources to get to you and they're harder to research online for past renter experiences.

Are there any services/amenities I should look out for in the Twin Cities? (I'm from the West Coast, so I never really had to think about promptness of snow plowing or bedbugs...)

On the flip side, how can I demonstrate that I'll be a good tenant? What things should I be prepared with? Job offer letter with salary, credit report, past landlord references, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 AM

7,647 posts, read 9,943,762 times
First of all the apartment reviews I've read are 99% bad for anyplace listed. The only people who seem to post are people who didn't like something, or possibly shills from the owners. Also condo complexes are not included.

When I lived in San Diego and was looking around to move I read "reviews." If I was to believe what they said, every single upper tier complex in the area was a total h#llhole to live in. But visits and outward appearances didn't match the reviews.

As for showing you are a good tenant. Pictures of your current place, work info, bank statements, a good current and past landlord reference, etc. You can pull your own copy of your credit reports. Especially for smaller LL's that will go a long way. Some will still want to pull their own report, but many will accept yours.

Landlords want several simple things from tenants - yet it is hard to find tenants who can comply.

Pay your rent on time or even early
Don't move in additional people
Don't bother the neighbors
Don't damage the property
Call management and pay the bill if you do accidentally damage something
When you move out leave the place by the end date and at least as clean as you found it and don't cause a fight or make us have to sue you.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basquesheep View Post
I usually choose my rental properties from word of mouth. Next week, I am visiting a new city half way across the country to check out apartments for a new job in a few months. I don't know anybody in that city, so I'm just going off of what I can find through internet searches, but a lot of smaller apartment management companies don't have reviews.

When I visit, what kinds of questions should I ask and what kinds of things should I look out for?

How can I talk to current residents without being awkward and just loitering around the property?

Which is preferable? Small companies (or just individuals) with just a few units or mega companies? I've heard that sometimes the smaller ones care more for their buildings, but there may be less people resources to get to you and they're harder to research online for past renter experiences.

Are there any services/amenities I should look out for in the Twin Cities? (I'm from the West Coast, so I never really had to think about promptness of snow plowing or bedbugs...)

On the flip side, how can I demonstrate that I'll be a good tenant? What things should I be prepared with? Job offer letter with salary, credit report, past landlord references, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Those "review" websites are not reliable imho. Here is a good link to search for newspapers locally wherever you plan to relocate. Normally the Sunday papers have more classified ads for apartments. You may also want to do a search for property management companies in the various areas and ask for references. References should be reciprocal. If they want a good tenant, they should have a good reputation as well. Good tenants are hard to come by. check this link: http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,583 times
In the midwest, definitely be concerned about snow removal. In my experience, management companies usually do this better because they have the equipment and the personnel to get it done. But obviously there are exceptions. Do ask how much snow has to fall before it is removed, and how long it will take for the removal to happen. If you can, opt for covered parking. I promise, you will not be sorry.

As for finding a property company or landlord, if you haven't already, I would suggest going to the twin cities discussion here at city data and asking for recommendations. If you've found a landlord you are interested in, ask if anyone has had dealings with them. A good landlord should be able to provide you with references if you ask for them. Someone who has lived at the property you are interested in would be best (but is not always possible if it is small). Small/large/corporate/private, everything will be dependent on the entity, so it is hard to generalize there. In a new area, I've always found it is easier to go with a management company because they are a little easier to research from far away, but that may be just me. I find that online reviews can be useful, but you also have to know how to use them.

You can make yourself look good simply by having all the information with you that you might need on your application, so that if you do find something you like, you are ready to apply. Things like your rental history, information on your references, any documentation (proof of work and salary, bank statements). Have checks with you in case you need to write one.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
If you really want to avoid bad management, buy a home.

You can ask all the right questions, talk to residents and walk the complex all you want. The sad truth is that the turn over rate of leasing office employees is very high.

You could sign your lease with one agent, call then in two weeks with a question, only to be told they no longer work there. If an agent agrees to do something for you, then get it in writing each and every time. I learned that the hard way when I moved into my current place.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
lol Wanted to add...found a " notice to enter" on my door letting me know they are going to be checking the fire sprinklers..it was signed by the "new" customer service manager......the 4th in two years. ::::shaking head:::: this must be on sucky place to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting