Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndma2ann View Post
Some of this thread is pretty funny, and some of it is pure ignorance.
It's sad that in this country a person can work all their lives and then be struck with a disability or horrible disease and find themselves on SSDI and be known as a 'freeloader' or undeserving of basic needs.

I'm single, mature, drug free, and quiet. I haven't always been a poor person, I haven't always been a 'freeloader'. I will say this whole experience has made me a more humble person and I'm stronger for it. Had it not been for my own experience, I'd probably still be a tad judgemental and uncaring to those less fortunate - maybe some of you need to find compassion and look beyond the superficial, you may be missing out on wonderful tenants.

Thats all, carry on...
First off, God bless you. I sincerely hope life gets easier for you and it is a shame that our society is so willing to just throw human beings away when they start having trouble.

Secondly, I used to be a judgemental prick myself. This economic crap storm and issues with medical bills related to the birth of my twins have sure taught me a lesson in humility.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
A "Service Animal" under ADA is not based on a doctor's note. A peson can wave all the doctor's notes they want and it means nothing to a landlord.

For Landlords, you should obtain a copy of the current (the rules for service dogs was revised last month and made a whole bunch of changes) ADA regulation and the current FHA (with the revised ADA changes) and read it so you fully understand the right of people with Service Animals and YOUR rights as a landlord when it comes to Service Animals. Just because an anaimal is a Service Animal does not mean you as a LL are giving up all rights and the disabled person has all the rights. Its a balanced and both people have to obey the rules.
Interesting. I had done a fair amount of research on it about 2 years ago, and that is contrary to everything I found, including from the official site. I will have to look again.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Here's the revised (March 2011) regulation for definition:

28 CFR part 35.104
Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual's disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

Under the ADA the person with a disabilty is one issue and Service Animals are another. A disabled person does not need a doctor's note for a service animal. All they need is to meet the defintition of a disabled person and the Service Animal meets the definition of Service Animal. You can ask all the legal questions allowed under ADA of the disabled person to ensure they are disables and you can ask the legal questions allowed under ADA for the Service Animals. Believe it or not, a doctors note, prescription, or other medical providers statement for the necessity of the service animal was never allowed under ADA. This is only about the federal regs and not any additional protections or requirments for the additional protections that a State may allow.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
It's still legal (and rightfully so) to charge more deposit for an animal, whether the animal is a service animal or not. And it's also legal to evict that person or not rent to them if their service animal does not abide by the terms of the lease (bothers other tenants or destroys property).

Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It's still legal (and rightfully so) to charge more deposit for an animal, whether the animal is a service animal or not. And it's also legal to evict that person or not rent to them if their service animal does not abide by the terms of the lease (bothers other tenants or destroys property).
You can evict a person with a service animal if it violates the rules (excluding animal bans) just like anyone else.

No additional deposit or surcharge can be charged to a tenant with a Service Animal. Legitimate Service Animals that are protected under ADA are medical equipment. Charging a pet, animal or addiitonal deposit is a violation of federal law.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
I'd love to hear some more funny comments from people if anyone else there wants to get back to the original purpose of this thread. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
I'd love to hear some more funny comments from people if anyone else there wants to get back to the original purpose of this thread. Thanks!
I do not want to ever again have a prospect come to look at a place with their best friend and during the walk through they carry on a conversation discussing the layout, look, features, and figuring out furniture placement, especialy when they get into a dissaagreement over things and end up in a tiff but make up in front of me.. AND.. there is only ONE person standing there!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
my thing with my landlord was he worked nights and evening alot and i would call him at 4 am in the morning when he was on last break and asked him if he wanted the rent now or he come and get at a later time ..

with me he allways told me a later time and the only really stange thing happened when my the girl i was seeing answered the door butt nacked and goes here the rent in money orders and hands him a a money order
the next time i saw him he goes thanks i need that and here your electrical bill money order back and i give him the right money orders and he told that he had no trouble staying awake that morning on the drive home ..because i would get money orders for each bill and stick them on the fridge with magnets and pay them as they came up ...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM

24 posts, read 114,658 times
Having been both a landlord and tenant over the past 10 years, I can honestly say I'm not sure which side is more annoying.

Landlords who do not respect the privacy of their tenants are a dime a dozen. Landlords who treat their tenants like a monthly check are a dime a dozen. Please people, it really sucks to be either side in the rental game and the only way we can all win is to see eye to eye with each other and not levy ridiculous stereotypes or raise red flags over basic things.

A tenant asking intently about privacy in a pre-lease signing discussion may very well have been harassed upside down by a domineering landlord previously.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
my thing with my landlord was he worked nights and evening alot and i would call him at 4 am in the morning when he was on last break and asked him if he wanted the rent now or he come and get at a later time ..

with me he allways told me a later time and the only really stange thing happened when my the girl i was seeing answered the door butt nacked and goes here the rent in money orders and hands him a a money order
the next time i saw him he goes thanks i need that and here your electrical bill money order back and i give him the right money orders and he told that he had no trouble staying awake that morning on the drive home ..because i would get money orders for each bill and stick them on the fridge with magnets and pay them as they came up ...
I think i speak for everyone reading this when i say.....

WHAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting