Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently living in TN and I am renting an apartment on a month to month basis with no lease/no contract. My actual lease (6 months) ended last month. This month is my first month to month and I am late on rent by 2 days. After 1 day of being late, my landlord hit me with a $87.50 late fee and stated that I had 14 days to pay it in full or I will be evicted.

I have no problem with this only if it is legal. Before I was on month to month, I was charged at late fee of $10.00 per day. My first question is the $87.50 late fee for one day, on my month to month (no lease) legal?

My second question is rentlaw.com states : (in most states)
No lease: When a tenant rents month to month without a lease, a landlord needs only to give written notice (usually 30-45 days) to terminate the lease. If the tenant does not leave at the end of that time, the landlord can evict.

Does this apply to TN laws or is the 14 day eviction notice legal?

I am just wanting to make sure. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Usually when a lease expires and goes month to month it's under the same terms and conditions as the original lease.

Google "TN landlord tenant laws" to see what's applicable in your state and you should be able to find the answers you need. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyX View Post
Hi,

I am currently living in TN and I am renting an apartment on a month to month basis with no lease/no contract. My actual lease (6 months) ended last month. This month is my first month to month and I am late on rent by 2 days. After 1 day of being late, my landlord hit me with a $87.50 late fee and stated that I had 14 days to pay it in full or I will be evicted.

I have no problem with this only if it is legal. Before I was on month to month, I was charged at late fee of $10.00 per day. My first question is the $87.50 late fee for one day, on my month to month (no lease) legal?

My second question is rentlaw.com states : (in most states)
No lease: When a tenant rents month to month without a lease, a landlord needs only to give written notice (usually 30-45 days) to terminate the lease. If the tenant does not leave at the end of that time, the landlord can evict.

Does this apply to TN laws or is the 14 day eviction notice legal?

I am just wanting to make sure. Thank you.
The late fee in your orignal lease stands. YOu owe $10 for a late fee. If your landlord has not sent you a "change in terms of tenancy" notice with the required notice, your old lease remains in force except for the term which is now month to month.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I agree with the last poster. On top of that in Florida the LL needs to post a 3 Day Notice before an eviction process can be started and we put it up immediately after being late....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting