Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM

17 posts, read 42,076 times

Advertisements

In Texas, can an apartment complex have a new rule that all kids under 16 must be in their apartments by 10pm and can it be enforced if it is not in the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I don't believe so as that would be legally discriminatory. For instance, a complex can decree that there will no skateboarding, cycling, etc. but this has to be applicable to all tenants and not restricted to children. The general curfew as mandated by Texas law for children under the age of 17 is one thing but complex owners can't arbitrarily decide that all children must be inside their apartments by a certain hour.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I used to live in a place where the teens at night wrecked havoc on the pool, plants and laundry facilities. I don't know if it's LEGAL, but I sure don't blame the complex owners/managers for making this rule. If the kids want to hang out, they can go to one of their homes.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesatx View Post
In Texas, can an apartment complex have a new rule that all kids under 16 must be in their apartments by 10pm and can it be enforced if it is not in the lease?
I'd say you should see what local laws are on curfews.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I'm a LL and you can have rules about private property if it does not discriminate based on gender or disability. Technically, you can make a rules that unsupervised residents' kids or guests younger than 18 may not be outside after dark. However, stating they must be inside is a strange rule.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
It's truly a shame that because parents don't use common courtesy about supervising even teenagers, not to mention, don't teach their kids common courtesy for close neighbors that these types of rules have to even be thought up. I am almost willing to bet that if you see this house rule in your by laws, or posted on site that it's allowed. bylaws and "house rules" normally are written and adopted only after lengthy discussion and review by the Association attorney.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,944,809 times
So what is the LL going to do if they don't follow the rule? Arrest them and incarcerate them in the laundry room? I doubt such a rule would be enforceable. It's easier to tell the parents to keep the brats under control or kick them out if they cause problems.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I am almost willing to bet that if you see this house rule in your by laws, or posted on site that it's allowed. bylaws and "house rules" normally are written and adopted only after lengthy discussion and review by the Association attorney.
The OP indicates that this is a "new rule" not in the lease. In any case, it goes against the Fair Housing Federal laws which supersede any HOA or other apartment complex rules.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So what is the LL going to do if they don't follow the rule? Arrest them and incarcerate them in the laundry room? I doubt such a rule would be enforceable. It's easier to tell the parents to keep the brats under control or kick them out if they cause problems.

The rules should be part of the lease....either listed individually or the leasee signs that he/she agrees to follow property rules. What the landlord can do is evict them......

Groups of unsupervised teens hanging outside can be very intimidating to others. They can sometimes be very loud and often kids use offensive language just to impress eachother. That's pretty difficult to deal with if the teens are within earshot of a family trying to enjoy a peaceful evening. Raising teenagers is difficult, especially if you live in multi-family housing....but if they want to hang outside, it should be in a private place or youth center where they are supervised.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The rules should be part of the lease....either listed individually or the leasee signs that he/she agrees to follow property rules. What the landlord can do is evict them......

Groups of unsupervised teens hanging outside can be very intimidating to others. They can sometimes be very loud and often kids use offensive language just to impress eachother. That's pretty difficult to deal with if the teens are within earshot of a family trying to enjoy a peaceful evening. Raising teenagers is difficult, especially if you live in multi-family housing....but if they want to hang outside, it should be in a private place or youth center where they are supervised.
The rules can NOT be enforced solely towards children unless the intent is to protect the children themselves. This is pretty clear under FHA laws. An apartment complex owner of course can implement rules in a lease which prohibit rowdy behavior on the property whether inside or outside but these rules have to be carefully written so they include ALL tenants and not specifically children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting