Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times

Advertisements

As far as I know in Florida, if its a multifamily dwelling then the landlord is responsible for pest control. That being said a tenant should most likely give notice in writing to a landlord if there are pest problems in between normal control times, and should also keep their residence clean and uninteresting to pests. Don't know for sure but if a landlord has being doing normal roach control procedures for example, and has never been notified by anyone that there are mice in the place, how can they possibly know there is a problem? I expect a good landlord would save receipts from a pest control company showing normal care was given. I would also check renters insurance. Pest control or lack thereof might be a reason you can break your lease, but damage to your things may not be covered.

Single family home, pest control can be the full responsibility of the tenant if the landlord wants it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
So rather than return a call to clarify whether a Plumber is needed, or the gas company, or someone else, you would rather have multiple people come into the house and have it take longer to do the repair, and possibly end up responsible for the service calls because it was user error?

For example, I get a call that someone has no hot water. I send out a plumber, plumber says there is nothing wrong with the water heater, it is working fine. Problem is that tenant has turned the setting to "Vacation" and forgotten to turn it back up. Tenant gets plumber's bill. This could have been corrected with a phone call, saving everyone time and money.

For another example, I get a call that A/C isn't working. I send out the HVAC guy, he finds filthy filters (tenant's responsiblity to change, very clear in lease and in discussion at lease signing) caused the A/C to freeze up. A phone call and a $5 replaced filter would have saved that tenant the $75 service charge they are now responsible for. Or the HVAC guy finds that the tenant has flipped the switch to turn off the furnace. Again, tenant gets the $75 service charge.

For another example, I get a call that a tenant has no hot water. Rather than checking anything, they insist I just get it dealt with. I send out the plumber and he finds it was not a plumbing problem at all, but rather that the gas is out altogether, come to find out it is because the tenant didn't pay the gas bill. Tenant gets the bill for the plumbing call, plus I can't fix the problem for them, they have to deal with that themselves. But by the time they get my message, it is after 5, so they can't make the payment until the next day.

For another example, I get a call that a tenant's garbage disposal isn't working. We include an allen wrench for tenants to grind up the seeds/pits they put down the disposal when they shouldn't have, so we can walk them through how to fix this user error problem over the phone without incurring a bill.

For another example, I get a call that a garage door isn't working. The garage door guy goes out and finds out that the tenant has pushed the vacation button on the opener by mistake, which makes the remotes and keypad not work. Tenant gets that bill. Or the garage door guy finds that something tripped the GFI which covers the garage door. Tenant could have fixed that in 30 seconds if they just checked it.

I could go on and on. A "I need more information" call is very rarely out of line. Often times, things can be fixed over the phone in 30 seconds.
The examples are mute. The OP gave the scenario, that is what is being considered and responded to. I think the renter had already called the repairman, prior to calling the LL...I think the tenant had better pay the rent in full or expect a lot more inconvenience than a hot water issue.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would point out exactly what the possible ramifications are to the tenant if they deduct this money from their rent.
good advice...and possibly include a copy of the ease w/ that issue underlined.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
I received a call from a tenant the other night that they were having difficulties with the hot water and were calling the plumber who repaired the furnace this winter. Upon speaking to my husband he said the hot water had nothing to do with the furnace unless the furnace was not working and asked for further detail as to what the problem was which was the message I left for the tenant. I also added we were NOT authorizing a service call since we really don't have the details as to what was going on. Regardless she had the plumber come. The plumber told her it was a 600.00 job at which point I told her to have the plumber call my husband. The husband who happened to be working with a Master Plumber was told that it was a 300.00 job if anything. (replace a element). So the husband called his friend the plumber who went to the house by 3PM and the water was fixed by 330, all it was was a loose wire. So plumber #1 bills the tenant 180.00 for a service call, we get the water fixed for 100.00. Now the tenant is upset that she has to pay for a service call although we told her the night before we were not authorizing any service call. Now I have an angry tenant who is going to deduct the 180.00 from the next rent. Do I pay the service call and allow someone else to spend my money or not?
I will never again rent a SFH to a former garden apartment dweller!
I so hear you regarding the type renter. We had a renter that expected my husband to drive across state to replace a cracked socket plate cover they discovered when they were moving in. Thank goodness her Dad was there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting