U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 13,798 times

Advertisements

I recently moved my family into a rental house, my family includes my sick elderly mother and my child. This house has many issues. Water based paint was used in the kitchen so it is everywhere, on our clothes, hands, utensils, dripping onto the floor if there is a spill, exposed wires in the walls, light switches with no covers. My bedroom is in the basement and has a bathroom which he has not put into working order and will not answer me when I ask him about it, he snuck the carpet out of the house he was to put in my room, there are no smoke alarms. I asked for a back door key again this weekend he came by and fiddled with a few keys and said it didn't work and I had to wait until Monday for him to get one. This man has several properties and apparently has a history of this. Not only do I want this house fixed I want him stopped ! what can I do ?:mad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,243,616 times
Wasn't it this way when you looked at it? Not excusing the fact that no repairs are done, but why did you choose a house with defects you could see when you first saw it?

I don't think there's much code with paint however the wiring and plumbing should certainly be in order and you should have smoke alarms.

I'd be looking for a new place to rent and look closer next time before you move in.

Speaking of the move in did you do a walkthrough with the landlord, have some kind of inspection " report " where these problems were written down?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 PM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times
Call the County for Violations...That will stop him.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM

966 posts, read 1,682,146 times
Before we even get to the point of offering a place for rent we have two checklists. One is our own "turnaround" list (smoke alarm battery, ac filters, cleaning, drains, etc). Then once all work is completed we use a HUD / Sect 8 inspection checklist and do a pre-rental inspection to at least HUD standards. This covers things like alarms, screens, light sockets, locks, etc.

Things like non-op plumbing are different. A unit should not even be offered for rent if all systems are not working. But more important is why would you even move into a property in such condition?

Small issues like door locks or switch covers depending on your state you can use the repair and deduct self-help. But be sure you are completely right because such things tend to make LL's really mad. And you can't just go out and buy new stuff, the LL has to have a reasonable time to solve the issue, 30 days is usually considered reasonable unless it is a safety issue or the only toilet is plugged.

I would NOT call the county unless you want a really, really mad LL who will kick you out at the earliest opportunity.

There are a lot of low life landlords. They give the rest of us a bad name. A tenants main protection is to be selective where you rent. When you move in, check everything, make sure you and the LL sign a move in condition agreement and take your own pictures when the LL is there. (Note I take photos, but I do not share them with the tenant unless under supeona.)

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,243,616 times
I take lots of photos and let them know I have them and if they want copies, I e-mail or print them out like 6 to a page B&W and include w/ the copy of the inspection report. They have done their purpose many times when at move out I hear the age-old "it was that way when I moved in" statement.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,124 times
All of this was supposed to have been fixed after I moved in no contract was signed till after all was complete none has been done smoke alarm doesn't even work windows were falling out I replaced these

Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,124 times
Just need to know who to contact I could move out but the next tenant will have the same problems please help we need to change these slum lords thinking

Old 05-04-2014, 03:49 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,206,059 times
Color me confused.

Who is the OP? Shenita or JBoatright? or are they one and the same?

whatever..

I'm confused over the painting situation too. Are you claiming it's still wet? Did he paint it after you moved in? How is it dripping all over your clothes and hands? How long have you lived there?

If the paint is still wet, he can't put the switch plate covers on til it dries.

Are the wires exposed because there's no switch plate covers on or is that a separate issue?

Waiting til Monday isn't unreasonable when you're asking for a key as long as you've got one to get into the house already.

Quite frankly, I don't know what the LL was thinking when he rented you an uninhabitable place, and I don't know what you were thinking when you accepted it like that.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 925,402 times
This thread is over 3 years old.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,206,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
This thread is over 3 years old.

oops..

I wonder if her paint finally dried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting