U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM

20 posts, read 50,110 times
Default Renting after an eviction.

I have an eviction from 3 years ago,however my credit report is pretty decent.i was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting approved for an apartment with this blemish on their rental history.my thinking here is that i could offset the risk to the mgt. Co by increasing my security dept,or by paying the last few months of the lease up front.thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,398,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williedynamite View Post
I have an eviction from 3 years ago,however my credit report is pretty decent.i was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting approved for an apartment with this blemish on their rental history.my thinking here is that i could offset the risk to the mgt. Co by increasing my security dept,or by paying the last few months of the lease up front.thanks for any insight!
If you were asked to leave and you did so voluntarily, then you have a chance. I would explain the situation including any mitigating facts such as you cleaned the place and left in a timely manner.

If you were physically removed by the sheriff's office (or equivalent), then I don't think you have much of a chance no matter what security deposit you offer.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM

784 posts, read 1,176,209 times
Someone more in tune with rental law may be able to expand upon this,

but pre-paying for rent, makes it a nightmare for an LL to get rid of a problem tenant.

That's why once a LL decides to file for eviction, they are not supposed to accept even a single penny from the tenant. Any payment would delay or cause trouble with the legal aspects of the eviction.

So I would never, ever accept extra payment from a tenant who has an eviction on their record. (personally, I wouldn't accept an evicted tenant at all, but that's just my preference)

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,460,981 times
I agree. If they asked you to move and you did so, and that was the end of it, that is good enough. If they had to take you to court to get you to move, that is a problem. If that is the case, you are most likely to find an individual renting their own house, rather than a property management company.

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM

14,447 posts, read 17,760,128 times
The OP was not asked to leave and did so otherwise he/she wouldn't have an eviction on their credit report. It only comes on there if a judgement for an eviction was given by a judge!

We don't rent to any one with an eviction. They were not evicted for no reason.

There are plenty of tenants looking for rentals with no evictions on their credit report and if you ever have dealt with people who need to be evicted than you will understand that lying is high on their top 10 of how they deal with others in life.

Just a few examples of lies;

My car broke down, I got sick needed to pay for medical, the bank made an error and now I'm trying to get all the fees waived and it wasn't even my fault, at the pump they charged my debit card twice, the store run my card double which caused overdraft fees, someone committed ID theft and now I'm dealing with all this stuff, I will pay you in 5 days you can count on that...just give me a few days...I'm so sorry.....etc.

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,888,157 times
Quote:
Rent a room in someone's house on Craigslist as a last resort. I've never had any of them check my record and if you "behave", it can help improve your rental history from there on..

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The OP was not asked to leave and did so otherwise he/she wouldn't have an eviction on their credit report. It only comes on there if a judgement for an eviction was given by a judge!
Actually, they said they have an eviction, not that the eviction was on their credit report, so we still don't know.

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

14,447 posts, read 17,760,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Actually, they said they have an eviction, not that the eviction was on their credit report, so we still don't know.
If you were notified of an eviction process being started than you don't "have an eviction" showing up if you moved out prior...

The OP stated "I have an eviction" which means that he was evicted, otherwise he/she wouldn't be asking this question since a letter notifying a tenant of starting the process will not show up any where.

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,462,870 times
Quote:
I dont think there is any magic cure. All you can do is explain the eviction.

I have 2 renters with prior evictions. One was due to medical problems and they fell on hard times about 4 years ago. They got evicted for non payment but since has repayed back renta nd all expenses to the prior landlord. That LL said they were nice tenants but because the LL also has financial hardships they couldn;t afford to carry the tenant through their problem. The second was an eviction based on non payment of two people whio were in love and that loved lasted until he saw Ms, Va-Voom and away he went. She just couldn;t afford the place by herself especuially since he went away owing her 2 month rent and that LL took the strict eviction route.

Each case I speak with the person and look to see if it was a ********* attitude or the take responsibility for my actions attitude. Bad or stupid things happen and not always is it an indication of future behavior.

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If you were notified of an eviction process being started than you don't "have an eviction" showing up if you moved out prior...

The OP stated "I have an eviction" which means that he was evicted, otherwise he/she wouldn't be asking this question since a letter notifying a tenant of starting the process will not show up any where.
...except in a reference check of prior rentals. Some people are more honest than that. If you were asked to leave for non-payment or other lease violation, that is an eviction. If you put that you have never been evicted, and the first phone call, the prior landlord says "Yes, we had to evict them for non-payment", that would be a bad sign. So some people choose to tell the truth on their applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting