Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,935 times

Advertisements

I am about to enter into a new lease term after just about completing an old lease term. Our landlord is psychotic and unreasonable. We paid a security deposit for the old lease term and we are signing a new lease for a new lease term on Friday. She wants a security deposit for a whole month's rent but she isn't returning our old one because it isn't due to be returned until 30 days or whatever after the end of the lease term.

Is it typical for landlords to have two security deposits on file at once? This is is a real financial burden. Why does she need two when she already has one? Don't most landlords just roll the other security deposit over. Aren't most fees assessed when the tenant moves out?

Also, she is insisting that we sign this new lease on Friday, which is the 13th for a term that begins June 1. She wants a $2760 check for the house. We are a three person house with one girl moving out and are in the process of looking for a new roommate. She doesn't care if we have a roommate and wants the money NOW even if it means we have to sign a lease all over again when we get the third person. Do you guys have experiences with landlords being this unreasonable?

She kept asking if she needed to advertise the house. Paranoia much? The lease starts June 1st and me and my other rooommate have no intention of moving out. Why would we lie about this? I had to tell her that my other roommate and me would be homeless on the street if she advertised the house and that we'll have a third person in a few days.

Any similar experiences?

I am an attorney so I am going to argue with her until the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Why not just find a new place to live? I wouldn't want to continue to rent from someone like that.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelynnmc View Post
I am about to enter into a new lease term after just about completing an old lease term. Our landlord is psychotic and unreasonable. We paid a security deposit for the old lease term and we are signing a new lease for a new lease term on Friday. She wants a security deposit for a whole month's rent but she isn't returning our old one because it isn't due to be returned until 30 days or whatever after the end of the lease term.

Is it typical for landlords to have two security deposits on file at once? This is is a real financial burden. Why does she need two when she already has one? Don't most landlords just roll the other security deposit over. Aren't most fees assessed when the tenant moves out?

Also, she is insisting that we sign this new lease on Friday, which is the 13th for a term that begins June 1. She wants a $2760 check for the house. We are a three person house with one girl moving out and are in the process of looking for a new roommate. She doesn't care if we have a roommate and wants the money NOW even if it means we have to sign a lease all over again when we get the third person. Do you guys have experiences with landlords being this unreasonable?

She kept asking if she needed to advertise the house. Paranoia much? The lease starts June 1st and me and my other rooommate have no intention of moving out. Why would we lie about this? I had to tell her that my other roommate and me would be homeless on the street if she advertised the house and that we'll have a third person in a few days.

Any similar experiences?

Probably no similiar experiences, because what she is suggesting is so silly it is probably not common. Best to move on from this one and find a new place. I'd say its likely the landlord is digging for more money to keep. I would bet you doesn't return either deposits Security deposits are rolled over. I wouldn't give your landlord any more money under any circumstances. I would also check for evidence of foreclosure proceedings against the rental. It's possible the landlord is in trouble and is trying to con you to stay afloat.
However to your other issue, I wouldn't necessarily say your landlord is being ridiculous for asking you to sign the lease now even if you don't have a third person. Finding a roomate is your issue, and she wants to have secured a tenant as early as possible whether you or somebody else. But this ties in to the other issue, the landlord might be paranoid about a vaccancy because she can't afford it.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If this is a renewal lease for the same house, consult you landlord tenat laws about security deposits. Most do not allow a LL to collect another security deposit because your not vacating, just entering a new renewal period. It may let the LL collect the difference between the old secuirty deposit and new deposit but not charging twice. One thing that may happen is if the old lease is considered terminating such as having new people added or others removed, the law may let them colect again because its not a renewal but considered a new lease even if some of the same tenants are on the new lease.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Totally nuts about the security deposit. But you said it -- paranoid -- probably that you will be unable to afford rent w/o the departing roommate and wants to obligate the remaining tenants to a new contract if you are not successful in finding a third roommate.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Sounds uber-shady. I'd move. No sense in sticking around to see what scam the LL will plan next.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

86 posts, read 256,476 times
Why are you staying if the LL is 'psychotic and unreasonable'?

As an attorney, don't you think you should consult the applicable laws before coming here for answers? Perhaps the LL is everything you say, but it sounds like a reasonable question for advertising if you are missing roomates.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...psychotic and unreasonable.
Any similar experiences?
Twice.
I moved on rather than stay in both situations.
Suggest you do that too.

On the flip side...
having an attorney for a tenant could make a LL seem psychotic and unreasonable.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
If it is the same people renting the same house, this is unreasonable. If you are moving to a different place with the same owner, or if the occupants are changing, this might be reasonable.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I mean being an attorney and asking this question!

Of course it isn't normal but the same can be said for your post...JMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting