Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM

124 posts, read 219,877 times

Advertisements

I don't even really know what I'm asking but I guess I just wanted some feedback.

I'm 19 and moving out of my parents' and to another state. I haven't had a steady job and am currently unemployed. I have a credit card and may not have been the most responsible with it...I've recently payed it off though. * I should probably also mention that I've only had my credit card for about a year, therefore my use of it may not have even been reported. I could have have no credit.

I sound like a horrible person, right? I'm extremely stubborn and am determined to start my own business so I've never felt comfortable working for other people (hence the faulty job history). But I've conceded to the fact that starting a business will take a while to prove financially viable so I will actively be seeking work when I get to the state I'm moving to.

I have roughly enough saved for one month's worth of living given that the rent is $1200 or less and will hopefully have more by the time I'm ready to move (sometime this summer). I have no criminal history and no evictions.

tl;dr but I'm stressed about the moving process. I'm already at a disadvantage being so young even if I did have steady work. Who will rent to a young person with no proof of income and no job lined up? I'm also worried about the credit check. I have no one to blame but myself. Am I royally screwed or is there some hope for me?

Thanks if you read all this.

Last edited by LiveByTheSun; 05-11-2011 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,904,817 times
There is always hope.

However, at 19 you do not know it all. Now, before you get upset hear me out.....you have no job, no credit, no money. You will have a hard time finding a place to rent with that kind of history. You will also have a hard time finding a decent job a well. Why not go to college and get a degree in business?

I think it's great that you want to start a business. Dont' give up on that dream. But, think about everything you need and everything you have to do to get this business off the ground. It won't easy. It's not impossible, just not easy.

You don't say what state you're moving to but I have to wonder what kind of research did you put into that state. Have you looked at rentals online? Have you looked at job online?

Good luck..and dont' give up

Last edited by Kim in FL; 05-11-2011 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: posted too soon.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,650,170 times
Do you know anyone at all in the state you're moving to?

Your chances are frankly not great on your own getting a place -- most LL's would not consider you. You will need to secure a job prior to renting I would imagine, at a minimum, and have lots more money saved up.

Can you stay where you are another year, get a job and save lots of money? Living on your own requires financial stability, and starting your own business does as well, meaning that you should have put aside enough money to live for several months while your business is starting.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,018,222 times
My guess is you are more likely to be homeless than find someone willing to rent to you.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM

232 posts, read 1,649,694 times
Your best bet is likely going to be renting a room in someone's house, rather than renting a place on your own. It is going to be tough - how do you expect to pay for your expenses without a job?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,733,160 times
Buy a trailer?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,528,912 times
Pretty much no one will rent to you in your situation. Your best bet would be to rent a room in someone's house or more likely rent a room on a weekly rate at a motel. Outside of you being able to prove that you have the entire amount needed to pay the 12 month lease available in a bank account, I doubt anyone would consider renting to you. Even if you had that kind of money most would be really hesitant.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,356,480 times
Almost everyone your age who doesn't live with their parents, is living with roommates - even those who live in dorms have roommates. It's cheap, and it's really easy to move to a new town and have a place to stay in a day or two. If there's a college where you're going, look near there first - there will be older students, who don't want to live in the dorms anymore, and have rented apartments nearby. Even if the semester has already started, there will be openings - and if it's near the end of the semester, there will LOTS of choices. And if you have enough cash for a couple of months rent and the deposit - someone will be willing to share their place with you.

Then get a job, save your money, and move into your own place when you can afford it.

It's not impossible!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:22 PM

124 posts, read 219,877 times
Thanks for the replies and honest answers.

Kim FL - I'll be moving to LA. I have done extensive research into both apartments (have found a few decent, relatively inexpensive ones) and jobs (fairly pointless since I'm still living here). I also do not plan on moving with no money. I'm stubborn but I'm not delusional! Basically when I get there I will just have...no job and no credit. Ha!

Lawmom - I have some family there but no one willing to put me up for a while while I find a job...which would be extremely helpful, so it's too bad. I absolutely need to get out of where I am so I am not planning on staying for another year and working (apart from misc. and temporary jobs to make some minor cash).

manderly6 - Thanks for the wise and optimistic prediction.

floridacara - As I stated in my orginial post, I do not plan on moving without having a substantial amount of money saved up (at *least* 3 months' worth). And I also plan on finding a job when I get there, hopefully long before my money runs out.

chicagojlo - Great idea, thanks!

NJGOAT - Renting a room may be my best option.

bouncethelight - Thank you very much for the encouraging response. I'll definitely be considering shares and college roomies.

The destination being LA, things change a bit I think. I just spoke with a realtor who has a daughter out there and she told me that, for the most part, LL's and property mgmt companies in LA care more about proof of money in the bank than anything else. Not sure how true this is but I feel it's still promising.

Also, the job market out there is fairly good and I have a few contacts so I'm hoping finding a job will not be as tough as it was here (Arizona).

I think if I save up a bit more money, rent out a room, and find a job as soon as possible I should be okay. Thanks again for taking the time to give me some advice.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,623,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSun View Post
Basically when I get there I will just have...no job and no credit. Ha!
Where are you getting this nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSun View Post
I have a credit card and may not have been the most responsible with it...I've recently payed it off though. * I should probably also mention that I've only had my credit card for about a year, therefore my use of it may not have even been reported. I could have have no credit.
Your "use " of the credit card was reported the day they gave it to you and any problems with debt and late payments were report the day they occured. You may have credit and it's most likely not good if that's the only credit you have for anyone to base things on.

Why not pull your own free credit report and instead of WONDERING, know what the heck it says. that''s the mature reponsible Adult thing and if you plan on heading out on your own as a adult, (not to mention start a business ), you had better learn how the world of business and credit works!

Based on what you said and your thinking, i would suggest to keep this valuable resource on hand as it may be your best friend:
Los Homeless Shelters - Los Homeless Shelters - Los Homeless Shelters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting