Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenanddave View Post
I am having a similar problem. without a lease we putdown a security deposit and backed out but only because of the landlords refuseal to have a professional come exterminate the dwelling, and it is missing some windows. the landlord put up plywood and still expected us and our 2 little ones to move in before the window was installed. can i get the deposit back.
Yes you probably can get a security deposit back if you did not move in because the apartment was unsanitary (bugs) and unsafe (plywood over windows). You may have to sue for it. Building codes often require operable windows that can be used as fire escapes in an emergency. Check out our state laws and look to see if there is a "landlord tenant council" in your area that can assist you. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for State landlord tenant laws. http://www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ing-forum.html

I advise that you write a registered letter to the landlord, and keep a copy stating that you cannot move into the property because it is unsanitary (bugs) and unsafe (plywood over windows), and demand the return of your security deposit.

That will provide you with evidence that you can use in small claims court if you have to sue if the landlord does not return your deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 783 times
4 college students signed an apartment lease without putting down a deposit. There is no cancellation policy noted in the lease. Are there any consequences if they decide to back out?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 664 times
The property manger promised us certain things would be done and they weren't after taking our security deposit. We decided not to take the apartment because the improvement weren't done. Are we entitled to our deposit to be returned?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmailey View Post
The property manger promised us certain things would be done and they weren't after taking our security deposit. We decided not to take the apartment because the improvement weren't done. Are we entitled to our deposit to be returned?
Depends on how exactly the wording of the "deposit" was written, whether or not you signed a lease and whether or not the promised improvements were noted and agreed to in writing.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM

109 posts, read 167,369 times
Don't count on getting it back-I have just gone through this I put down a deposit found that the apt was near a landfill and they wouldn't give it back.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
Don't count on getting it back-I have just gone through this I put down a deposit found that the apt was near a landfill and they wouldn't give it back.
That's not this poster's problem at all. Of course you didn't get your money back - you could have easily discovered the place was near a landfill before you put down any deposit. This poster has an issue because apparently certain promises were made which weren't followed through on. Depending on the details he may be legally entitled to the return of whatever deposit he put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting