Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 30,218 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex and have lived here for a few months so far. I like the area and the rent is somewhat fair

However, I have a big problem with the neighbor directly below me snoring very loudly, loud enough to wake you up in the middle of the night and keep you up.

Ive talked to the leasing office within the first few weeks of living there after trying to ignore it which didnt work, who kind of shrugged it off and said they would talk to the people that live in this apt. Though nothing really came of this.

Ive tried just living with the noise but it just wont work. Ive tried the white noise trick too by having fans on high to drown out the noise which seems to work ok, but then I have trouble hearing my alarm clock in the morning when I wake up, and once the weather is colder I dont want fans blowing in my room making it cold.

Its gotten to the point Im willing to move out of this apt and into another in the complex. I suggested this to the leasing office, but they want a $500 fee for me to switch apts which is ridiculous. I would have thought they would waive the fee since I have to pack all my belongings and pay movers to help me move everything but so far theyre saying they want the fee even though we have only lived there a couple months.

I know the people below me cant really help snoring so I dont really blame them, but at the same time its making me lose a lot of sleep and be miserable.

What kind of rights do I hold as the renter? The leasing office is basically just telling me its not their problem, though had I known this person would be living below me making so much noise I would not moved in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

75 posts, read 201,530 times
I can't imagine you have any rights regarding this except for paying the fee to move. Alot o us don't like something our neighbor does but we can't expect to be able to just move without any fees. It is in your lease I am sure. Snoring isnt something the apartment complex is doing to annoy you as I am sure neither is your neighbor. JMO

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Theres nothing in my lease about a $500 fee to change apts, and Im not changing my apt either just for the fun of it, its directly because of another neighbor disturbing me. They really wont say what the $500 is for either and its just a cash grab I think since they charge crazy fees for everything at this place, and even charge a monthly fee on top of a large pet deposit to have each pet.

So, if another apt was unavailable, I would be required to stay in my apt stuck in my lease losing sleep because of this? That doesnt sound right...

Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
The fee is probably to cover paperwork, utilities switchover etc.

I know firsthand how loud snoring can be, but I'm betting it's a "buyer beware" kind of thing. If they let you move because of something that is not really their fault, them everyone who lived next to a barking dog or kids who stomp would want to move too.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM

369 posts, read 942,299 times
have you tried earplugs?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The fee is probably to cover paperwork, utilities switchover etc.

I know firsthand how loud snoring can be, but I'm betting it's a "buyer beware" kind of thing. If they let you move because of something that is not really their fault, them everyone who lived next to a barking dog or kids who stomp would want to move too.
$500 for paperwork? Theres no way it costs them more than $50 in admin fees to do the switchover and the tenant is responsible for the utilities being put in another name. It not right they should profit off of this

Barking dogs and loud kids, if during the middle of the night, would be considered disturbing the peace, and after calling the police or making complaints to the leasing office would get them evicted.

I realize snoring is a medical problem, and Im not really placing blame on the person that lives below me, but Ive tried to accommodate their problem for as long as I can. I cant get earplugs because then I wont be able to hear my alarm or cell go off or anything else I need to listen for.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:30 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
This post has absolutely nothing to do with Nashville, so I'm moving it to the Real Estate / Renting forum. Maybe someone there can help you.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I'm not saying it COSTS that much to do the paperwork. They're charging that much to keep people from randomly changing apartments all the time for whatever reason. It's meant to be prohibitive.They're doing it because they can.

From your perspective, no, they should not profit off your inconvenience, but that's capitalism. In business, you take every chance to make a profit. Otherwise, your business won't make it. If they've done all they're legally required to do, then to them, it's "too bad, so sad" that you've gotten unlucky in the neighbor category. It would be the same if the neighbors cooked super smelly food every night. If the lease doesn't say anything specifically about persistent loud noises, then you're SOL.

I would throughly check the lease, then go from there. If it doesn't say anything about waiving the fee because of something like this, I would pay it and move since it is affecting your quality of life.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
If it's that loud why not call the police or whoever else you would call to report a noise disturbance?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
They have white noise alarm clocks. Solves the problem of hearing the alarm clock and having the fan blow in the cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting