Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,628,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My company rents out mostly houses and plexes, not apartments, and the two markets are distinctly different, so I won't try to give advice about timelines, as we never look at anything more than 30 days out, but complexes with lots of identical units would. So what is normal for our office is not normal for apartments.

However, I will say that in your "good" category, you listed that you can pay the whole rent term's payment more or less up front. Not all companies view doing that as a positive. We have allowed it twice and both times wound up with a nightmare tenant. One was definitely a drug dealer, as he ended up in jail and his grandmother moved him out of the rental. The other was just a huge lowlife. So we no longer accept multimonth payments as an offset for credit issues. So the fact that you HAVE the money is great. However, just be aware that offering it as an offset may not get you the desired result.

For your bad category, I agree that little credit or rental history isn't really a huge issue. But your last post said you also have no job lined up, and that will likely be a bigger issue. Most complexes are going to have set rules that you have to meet, or they run into legal problems (discriminatory practices, why did you rent to person A who didn't meet your written guidelines, but not person B who also didn't).

Also, the fact that your move in is going to be over Christmas may be an issue. Our office tries to schedule around that as much as possible. Between December 20th and January 1st, we are typically only open about 5-6 days, depending on where the weekends fall, and many subcontractors are not available for carpet replacement, painting, cleaning, etc to make a unit ready. Finally, many places (at least in my area) have started putting in their leases that they will not allow lease termination dates in November, December, or January, for the reasons I already stated, and because move outs in winter are more wear on the unit. So there may be fewer units coming available during that time.

Sorry, I know this sounds really like a pessimistic post, but I'm trying to just make you aware of some of the obstacles you might be up against. Good luck and good job on being proactive and going into the situation prepared.
I agree with this. If you don't have a job lined up you will have a tough time. Best to try for a roomate situation, or summer sublet or something of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

318 posts, read 866,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Sorry, I know this sounds really like a pessimistic post, but I'm trying to just make you aware of some of the obstacles you might be up against. Good luck and good job on being proactive and going into the situation prepared.
No worries. Thanks! This is the stuff I need to know.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 AM

318 posts, read 866,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I agree with this. If you don't have a job lined up you will have a tough time. Best to try for a roomate situation, or summer sublet or something of the sort.
Funny how things work out lol; I'm apparently going to a reunion with some folks I won a scholarship with from Dec 20th to Jan 1st in Orlando, so that kinda rules out getting an apt and going through that intense process right then. I might just rent a room for a month/a few months and try not to get financially screwed there while establishing employment and then deciding. Either way I'll need all this info at one time or another, so thanks everyone.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,460 times
i was looking for an apartment, i found a realtor, who finds a place for me, i filled out the application, and i put a down deposit with the offer for the place; put the realtor told me that the owner have to accept my offer, then i have to be approved by the association. why asking me for a down deposit without being approved by the owner nor the association? is that the way it goes

Last edited by rene1980; 12-06-2011 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: missing words

Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,460 times
i was looking for an apartment, i found a realtor, who finds a place for me, i filled out the application, and i put a down deposit with the offer for the place; put the realtor told me that the owner have to accept my offer, then i have to be approved by the association. why asking me for a down deposit without being by neither the owner or the association?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
It's not unusual at all. You need to read exactly what you signed when you paid. An application fee is usually non-refundable and covers the cost of a credit and background check. If a further deposit is required above and beyond the application fee, this is usually refundable if your application isn't accepted. If your application is accepted then it's usually applied to either your first month's rent or your security deposit.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM

12,632 posts, read 14,764,388 times
I'm looking to rent an apt for the very 1st time around spring/summer 2012. I started gathering apt complex brochures & apt guides a few wks ago & just a few days ago, I visited several complexes & saw their units.

I'm not in the type of situation where I'm on a deadline to move & I'm in no kind of rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting