Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM

26 posts, read 59,476 times

Advertisements

we took pics of the house when we 1st moved in & anything we fixed we took pics of & its backed up onto cd-rs & photobucket, the major repairs he fixed so the house wouldn't be red flagged was replace the water heater = old water heater was tossed in the shed & he repaired the carport, other things he didn't fix were the gaps in the doors, holes in closet doors, missing concrete from back step, unsafe front step with gaps , also when the smoke dector was going off my mom called him & told him that its going off, he flat out told her on speaker phone just to cut the wires & not to bother him over pity crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay951 View Post
we took pics of the house when we 1st moved in & anything we fixed we took pics of & its backed up onto cd-rs & photobucket, the major repairs he fixed so the house wouldn't be red flagged was replace the water heater = old water heater was tossed in the shed & he repaired the carport, other things he didn't fix were the gaps in the doors, holes in closet doors, missing concrete from back step, unsafe front step with gaps , also when the smoke dector was going off my mom called him & told him that its going off, he flat out told her on speaker phone just to cut the wires & not to bother him over pity crap.
Holes in the closet doors are cosmetic, and likely not required. Gaps in the doors, I assume, means that you need new weather stripping. It is very inexpensive and very easy to replace, why not just get some yourself and take care of it. It might be a typical owner expense, but it will pay for itself on your first heating/cooling bill. The only two items I see that really should be addressed are the missing concrete on the back step (assuming it is causing an unsafe entrance) and the unsafe front steps. And really, your mom called in to have him change the batteries in her smoke detector? That is a tenant responsibility, almost always. Just change them.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
And really, your mom called in to have him change the batteries in her smoke detector? That is a tenant responsibility, almost always. Just change them.

no the smoke detector is electric & is hardwired into the electric it has no batteries

Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Quote:
no the smoke detector is electric & is hardwired into the electric it has no batteries
You're going to want to check that again. Per code, smoke detectors must be hardwired and have battery back ups in case power goes out.

Regarding the OP, the LL sounds like an ass. He is likely banking on you not knowing real estate and tenancy laws and you should have a lawyer draft him a letter explaining how he's wrong.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've never seen such a thing. Even the hardwired ones all have battery backups in my area. I've never seen a battery-less smoke detector. Doesn't sound very safe, since if the power is out, so are the smoke detectors. But ok, if that is the case, then that is a legitimate repair request as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
@jay951,

I agree with the others here who say your landlord is in the wrong in trying to increase the rent when you have a valid lease.

Since you are in California you should get familiar with the information on this website. Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Compared to most other states, California landlord tenant laws are more favorable to the Tenants.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-09-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 03:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I've never seen such a thing. Even the hardwired ones all have battery backups in my area. I've never seen a battery-less smoke detector. Doesn't sound very safe, since if the power is out, so are the smoke detectors. But ok, if that is the case, then that is a legitimate repair request as well.
Hardwired smoke detectors are more reliable then battery powered in most areas. The power has gone out in my area only about once per year for more then a few minutes.

People are lazy when it comes to replacing the batteries in a timely manner, and most do not do so.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Hardwired smoke detectors are more reliable then battery powered in most areas. The power has gone out in my area only about once per year for more then a few minutes.

People are lazy when it comes to replacing the batteries in a timely manner, and most do not do so.
Yes, and I think hardwired is code in my area now for new construction, but I have never seen one that doesn't have a battery backup.

I agree that in most areas, power does not go out very often, but power outages and fires can be linked. The fire could be caused by an electrical short, which also knocks out the power, the fire could be caused by a natural disaster, which also knocked out the power, or the fire could be the cause of a power outage.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
With a calm and level head really ask yourself why you want to continue to live there.
All the drama of an escrow account, calls and letters, really your energy is better spent otherwise.
You are off to a bad start with this new owner and yes you can hold him to the fire and maybe just maybe you will prevail but all he has to do is not offer you a renewal or give you notice and what have you got?
IMO just start looking. Really you have to let go of the ownership you have developed over this property.
Life is too short for all the drama. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

if we had the extra money we would of moved long time ago, but since i recently lost my job & my mom is disabled it is kinda hard trying to look for a new place, that will take dogs, i refuse to get rid of my dogs for anybody. my dogs are like my kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting