U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM

485 posts, read 710,835 times

Advertisements

long story short, me and my mom got into a short argument. She tends to get personal, and threatened to take me off the lease and throw me out. Considering she is the head of household, can she take me off the lease without my consent? Can she legally just throw me out without a care in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 AM

22,134 posts, read 26,279,267 times
A lease is entered into between a landlord and tenant(s). If you signed a lease along with your mother as a tenant you have all the rights and obligations contained in that lease. Your mother as a co-tenant in equal standing can't arbitrarily take you off the lease. You CAN be taken off the lease if you wish but only with the consent of the LL and your mother. Your mother will then be solely responsible for the lease and the lease will be amended accordingly.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM

17,398 posts, read 22,980,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight

Considering she is the head of household, can she take me off the lease without my consent? Can she legally just throw me out without a care in the world?
two separate issues here.
q1) whether tenant a has the right to remove tenant b from a lease contract without permission.
a: probably not; depends on how the lease is written. The LL is the one at risk here.

q2) whether YOU should allow or fight this effort if your crazy mother tries it.
a: yes, allow it...in a heart beat. the sooner you are out of the legal contract with her... the better for everyone including the LL.

and head of household usually means the others there are MINORS who can't sign contracts.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

5,468 posts, read 10,626,082 times
I agree, it depends on how the lease is written, if one person has more power than the others, but in most leases, all signatories have the same rights. So if you both signed the lease as tenants, neither of you can remove the other person without their consent. If your mother is the only signatory on the lease, then yes, she could ask you to move out.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:34 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,771,934 times
How old are you?
Did you sign the lease to?
What did you do to **** off your mother that she would make that threat?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM

485 posts, read 710,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
How old are you?
Did you sign the lease to?
What did you do to **** off your mother that she would make that threat?
1. I'm 24
2. Yes, i signed the lease.
3. We didn't agree on something

I've been saving up the last couple months to move out, just cant do it yet. Love my mom to death, but i need to get away from her =\

Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,281,952 times
If you are listed as a joint tenant on the lease and you signed the lease, then she can not arbitrily take you off. You have to request it from the LL and the LL has to agree.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,994,217 times
Some moms like to think they're in control, even when they're not...

And it makes no difference if you're 24 or 44 or 64 - they still think they know best!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,844 times
This is happening to me as well my roomate claim she took me off the lease but I do not think it is so. We both signed the lease together and I need to find out what I should be doing do I need to get a lawyer..... I also whould like to know what does LL stand for

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM

5,275 posts, read 5,373,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney9015210 View Post
This is happening to me as well my roomate claim she took me off the lease but I do not think it is so. We both signed the lease together and I need to find out what I should be doing do I need to get a lawyer..... I also whould like to know what does LL stand for
LL =landlord

I would continue to live there and pay rent per the lease. roommate cannot evict you and cannot make you move. they dont control anything...the landlord does.

is there still time on the lease you signed or is it now month to month? Just wondering if the roommate somehow contacted the landlord if lease expired and then said you were no longer living there and signed a new lease for new period without you. So see what your lease end date is (the one you signed).

even if roommate entered new lease without you, landlord would need to evict you for not being on lease. you would get official notices from landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting