Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I My reference was based on a "what if" and as one of the many good reasons to have in place an agreement which covers all bases.

I think it's smart to think of the 'what if's'...as we all know, hindsight is always 20/20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 81,844 times
Thanks again everyone.

I would not be as upset if she was just spending some nights with him but she is also here by herself 3 days a week while he is at work 8-5. I wanted someone who worked so the bills would not be bad. He even introduced her as a family friend that was helping him move.

He also asked me to get him an extra cable box and he would pay, once I did he asked if I could pay for it. I was caught so off guard I said okay, I know I was stupid.

I told him it was a year lease (everyone said it should be) but I forgot to write 1 year on the lease so I am guessing that makes it month by month. Also I do have a visitor clause. The lease papers said I should put "7 consecutive days" so I did that.

I know I did a lot wrong... I honestly thought it would be okay he seemed like such a good guy and assured me he was barley home. He even went as far as to tell me his son stayed with him once every 2 weeks on the weekend. So why would he told me that and then have a girl staying there all the time instead?

Anyway thanks again for all the advice. I know what to do differently next time.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerd25 View Post
Thanks again everyone.

I would not be as upset if she was just spending some nights with him but she is also here by herself 3 days a week while he is at work 8-5. I wanted someone who worked so the bills would not be bad. He even introduced her as a family friend that was helping him move.

He also asked me to get him an extra cable box and he would pay, once I did he asked if I could pay for it. I was caught so off guard I said okay, I know I was stupid.

I told him it was a year lease (everyone said it should be) but I forgot to write 1 year on the lease so I am guessing that makes it month by month. Also I do have a visitor clause. The lease papers said I should put "7 consecutive days" so I did that.

I know I did a lot wrong... I honestly thought it would be okay he seemed like such a good guy and assured me he was barley home. He even went as far as to tell me his son stayed with him once every 2 weeks on the weekend. So why would he told me that and then have a girl staying there all the time instead?

Anyway thanks again for all the advice. I know what to do differently next time.
You can still fix what needs to be fixed right now which I hope you're going to do. If he decides to leave given your new proposal then forge ahead and create an agreement which, although it may not cover you if somebody ignores it, gives you immediate and legal leverage and the ability to either demand they conform or get them out in short shrift. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,832 times
He's taking advantage of you. You should, as pp suggested, write a new agreement and present it to him. Take the cable out. If he wants cable, he can subscribe himself. No way to the pool and backyard. If the gf is staying there, up the rent and utilities. Is the unit a legal one? Have the lease checked and if it's really a month to month, give him notice and get a new tenant covering all your bases. Your situation is only going to get worse.

Maybe, next time, a working couple would be a better bet.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,304 times
To the person who said they spell out one visitor per seven day period overnight. I can't iagnie anyone would rent from you.

I totally understand wanting to protect yourself from a crackhead moving in a dozen people however people do have their parents, family, freins come visit for a weekend every now and again.People do have a significant other spend the night.

This sounds like something a parent says to their middle school child, only one sleepover per week billy.

I can even see maybe hvaing this in your lease to protect yourself but not following through on it unless the tenant is abusing it.

I would much rather have a normal working tenant who has a significant other over throughout the week rather than having a guy who's got his buddies over drinking all the time or band practiciing or something like that.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
To the person who said they spell out one visitor per seven day period overnight. I can't iagnie anyone would rent from you.
Had you read my post in its entirety, the concept might have been clear. And I never had a problem renting out that little unit in 10+ years with that clause included. And, not that it's relevant, but several of my tenants went on record as saying that I was one of the best LLs they ever had. So, as my grandmother used to say, "put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

I totally understand wanting to protect yourself from a crackhead moving in a dozen people however people do have their parents, family, freins come visit for a weekend every now and again.People do have a significant other spend the night.

This sounds like something a parent says to their middle school child, only one sleepover per week billy.

I can even see maybe hvaing this in your lease to protect yourself but not following through on it unless the tenant is abusing it.

I would much rather have a normal working tenant who has a significant other over throughout the week rather than having a guy who's got his buddies over drinking all the time or band practiciing or something like that.
If you rent a house with multiple bedrooms it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to have multiple people staying there - but the original post is about a one-person apartment. And the landlord was clear about that fact. If he had wanted to rent to a "normal working tenant who has a significant other over throughout the week" he could have - but instead he specified it was a one-person apartment, and if the tenant doesn't want to respect that he should give his 30-days notice and find a new rental, that will allow a longterm guest.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Had you read my post in its entirety, the concept might have been clear. And I never had a problem renting out that little unit in 10+ years with that clause included. And, not that it's relevant, but several of my tenants went on record as saying that I was one of the best LLs they ever had. So, as my grandmother used to say, "put that in your pipe and smoke it!"
Exactly. I include a clause about number of tenants in my leases. It is probably increasingly important since a lot of people are looking for ways to save money by moving in with friends.

The clause I have includes something like:
1. The rent is $X for one tenant, the rent is $Y for two tenants etc.
2. The Maximum number of tenants is Q
3. A "visitor" is considered a "tenant" if he/she stays overnight for more than Z days in an one month period.

It might be "awkward" to introduce new rules since the tenant is already there. You can explain to him that additional people put more wear and tear on the apartment/house and increase your costs and liability. I would also include a "maximum" at that time. You never know, he might be like Charlie Sheen and have Tiger Blood and try to move in TWO girlfriends!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerd25 View Post
Hello,

I recently started renting out my ground level apartment. It has only been 2 months but I am already having some problems and am not really sure what to do as I have only rented to my mother in the past (I had to rent to a stranger because she recently passed away.)

My main problem is with his girlfriend. I specifically asked for a full time single person so I would not have to worry about the neighbors complaining about them parking outside and my electric going up a lot. When he was moving in he introduced her to me as a family friend that was helping him set up. Now every week she sleeps here at least 3 weekdays and on the weekends. She is also here those days all day long while he is at work. She goes home for about 2 or 3 days depending. I wrote in the lease that he can have a guest 7 consecutive nights but I guess I should have been more specific.

I also was having a problem with them smoking in the house but I think that has stopped after I told them I was smelling it. I also had to go down to get my rent and he told me he did not get a chance to get to the bank. He did pay me the day later but I don't know what would of happened if I didn't go down. Now he is asking to use my pool.

If anyone has any advice for me please let me know, I am very knew to this and am not sure of how to hand these kind of situations.

Thanks in advance
Include the definition of guest in your lease, as well as how long guests may stay. Also a provision about the number of vehicles they may have.

As for being late, slap them with a 3-day notice if they are late at the beginning of the lease and they did not contact you in advance.

Don't let him use the pool and include a provision in the lease that the pool is excluded.

If you are having this many problems with him now.... been there, done that. I went into being a landlord based upon the kind of tenant I had been. Big mistake. After my bad experience, I had an attorney draw up my lease. Money well spent.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,560 times
I've been renting out a room in the apartment that my landlord has leased to me. He provided consent for me to rent out the 2nd bedroom since i had no need for it. Do to medical issues i was going to sublease the apartment to the tenant that was renting the room from me (she is not on the lease at this time). She's had a girl staying there for 7 days now, two days into her staying there i asked the tenant to have her leave for a little while (24 hours) so we can have our house back. For two days straight this girl was sleeping on my couch cooking whatever she wanted in the home and staying there with key in hand while we were both at work. so that afternoon my roommate told me that the girl will not be leaving and she will be paying her the rent for the days that she has stayed in the month of febuary. (keep in mind I've paid the rent for feb. and my roommate would have not been subleasing until march 1st) i told her no i was not renting out my couch and livingroom then she advised me that the girl will be staying as a guest and she does not have to leave unless she tells her to. She then has two more people over plus the same girl that evening when i get off of work...... (annoyed) i contacted the police to have everyone removed but the girl that has been renting the room from me. since then they have all lived in the apartment I've moved my things out but i still have access to the apartment per my lease. I'm lost and dont know what to do. She keeps turning the water heater up so high it is flooding out the commons area by the apartment doors. neighbors are complaining to my landlord. I had no choice but to go over there this evening and cut off all power. i desprately need advise i dont have a written/signed agreement with this girl i've basically been booted from my home to keep the peace (no fighting) i have txt messages with her admitting to renting out my livingroom to this random person. PLEASE someone give me some advice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting