Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is renting part of his friend's mom basement. It isn't a room.. we were broken up when he move there and we have a daughter, we recently just got back together and I didn't want my daughter really staying at a place where we don't have ANY privacy... so my daughter spend most of the time at her grandma house.. me and my boyfriend had argue few times in the house but we were going through some difficulties. we completely stop and yeah I spend about four- 5 times there a week but when I do go there I thought as a guest spending a night.. when I take showers, I shower with him and its BARELY and we barely even go upstairs to eat... only once a day.. the most we use is probably the eletectricty .. but we do pay 200 dollars a month.. now my boyfriend friend doesn't like me so he went and talk to his mom because I know for a fact.. now she doesn't want me to come over period.. when im the one paying for the rent and before I was coming over a lot.. he even ask her that I was going to stay here and if she wants he could give her extra money but she say no that wil be fine since I DONT take up much... I think its stupid and especially our problems were going through now..

Last edited by cristalnoelia; 01-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: i dont know what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristalnoelia View Post
My boyfriend is renting part of his friend's mom basement. It isn't a room.. we were broken up when he move there and we have a daughter, we recently just got back together and I didn't want my daughter really staying at a place where we don't have ANY privacy... so my daughter spend most of the time at her grandma house.. me and my boyfriend had argue few times in the house but we were going through some difficulties. we completely stop and yeah I spend about four- 5 times there a week but when I do go there I thought as a guest spending a night.. when I take showers, I shower with him and its BARELY and we barely even go upstairs to eat... only once a day.. the most we use is probably the eletectricty .. but we do pay 200 dollars a month.. now my boyfriend friend doesn't like me so he went and talk to his mom because I know for a fact.. now she doesn't want me to come over period.. when im the one paying for the rent and before I was coming over a lot.. he even ask her that I was going to stay here and if she wants he could give her extra money but she say no that wil be fine since I DONT take up much... I think its stupid and especially our problems were going through now..
If she approved you living there and you have been paying the rent, and you have no written lease, then she has to give you at least 30 days notice to make you move out.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,859 times
I have it in my lease agreement with a tenant/roommate that they may have a guest upto 2 nights per week. If the guest stays longer I charge $35.00 a night. I am not a hotel/motel and if the tenant wants to have someone stay longer then what is stated in the rental agreement, they must pay me per night. It does discourage someone from having guest all the time

Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
First of all. OP your lease section about guests. You stated that the lease states 7 consecutive days. In what amount/length of time? If all it states is 7 consecutive days then if she stays 6 days leaves for one day then comes back for another 6 days she is NOT in violation of the lease. While I understand what you meant to say by the 7 days technically she isn't breaking your rules. What you need to do is get yourself a lease and SPELL out the terms as such
Guests are allowed overnight stay for no more than x days total or x consecutive days within x months. ( EXAMPLE guests are allowed for overnight stay for no more than seven (7) total days OR five (5) consecutive days within a four (4) month period.) this cuts down on friends couch surfing and GF coming overnight every night. You can simply say no smoking anywhere on premises. As for the rent. Rent is due by x time on x day. You do not have to have a rent grace period. I personally give three days. One tenant told me he can't pay till the 5th so he has no grace period. ( but he told me this before he signed lease and I agreed to it.)

Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
First of all. OP your lease section about guests. You stated that the lease states 7 consecutive days. In what amount/length of time? If all it states is 7 consecutive days then if she stays 6 days leaves for one day then comes back for another 6 days she is NOT in violation of the lease. While I understand what you meant to say by the 7 days technically she isn't breaking your rules. What you need to do is get yourself a lease and SPELL out the terms as such
Guests are allowed overnight stay for no more than x days total or x consecutive days within x months. ( EXAMPLE guests are allowed for overnight stay for no more than seven (7) total days OR five (5) consecutive days within a four (4) month period.) this cuts down on friends couch surfing and GF coming overnight every night. You can simply say no smoking anywhere on premises. As for the rent. Rent is due by x time on x day. You do not have to have a rent grace period. I personally give three days. One tenant told me he can't pay till the 5th so he has no grace period. ( but he told me this before he signed lease and I agreed to it.)
The OP wrote that back in 2011. We all make that mistake from time to time.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The OP wrote that back in 2011. We all make that mistake from time to time.

Argh.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I'm in a similar situation, found myself renting a place without any experience being a landlord and minimal time to educate myself. I learned a lot of lessons and a lot of things I will do differently next time. I know more experienced people are like be stern and dont letup. I agree with this to an extent but also choose your battles. The smoking in the house is a non-negotiable that stops or he's out of there. As far as the gf goes though, these guest policies are kind of a wierd thing. As long as people aren't singing a lease for one and moving in multiple others people should pretty much be left alone and not bothered about your gf is over here too much. Especially since you weren't specific enough in the lease. Maybe you should have put no more than 7 consequetive days and no more than 15 days per calendar month or something like that.

Is it actually an apt with a shared meter or is it a room your renting? If apt with shared meter and you plan on continuing to rent it in the future maybe look into getting downstairs its own meter if its a legal apt and this way you dont have that issue. I get his gf uses more electricity but no more so than if he leaves his xbox on all day while he's at work or is mining bitcoins 24/7 all which dont break the lease. The problem you have is you pay his electric and if he doesn't pay he's not going to be as careful as if he did pay.

As for the pool, I'd probably say no due to liabiliy issues you cant but if you want to be nice I'd say look if youw ant to have a swim on a hot day after work fine but no friends over, no pool parties, etc. I'd advise not allowing it though

Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
rented an apt to two sisters one sister goes to a beach house 3-4 day a week and while shes away the other sister has a guy stay there and they stay home all day and night what are my rights as a landlord and how do i tell her i do not want him staying over my lease states no houseguests for longer then 1 week without the consent of the landlord what can i do about this situation

Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
My standard Arizona Association Realtors form states:

11. Occupancy: The premises shall be used for residential purposes only and only by the following named persons.
12. _______________________________________________
13. _______________________________________________
14. Assignmet and Occupancy: Only the persons listed above may occupy the premises or any part thereof without landlord's prior concent......... blah blah...... and landlord may terminate this lease agreement.

There's another part I'm too tired to find which allows me to evict anybody who spends over 15 days there, although a few days a week could be a problem, them leaving part of the time.

And then there's this condition:

254. No smoking allowed on the inside of interior of premises, including garage. As a result of smoke damage to premises, then tenant will be responsible for repair and costs to remove smoke damage, and will be deducted out of tenant's security deposits.

In other words, smoke outside or you're out of here. Noting cleaning smoke damage often requires a complete repaint and recarpet, that pretty much eats all the $1,500 or so security deposit, and if there's more I'll seeya in small claims court.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptforrent View Post
rented an apt to two sisters one sister goes to a beach house 3-4 day a week and while shes away the other sister has a guy stay there and they stay home all day and night what are my rights as a landlord and how do i tell her i do not want him staying over my lease states no houseguests for longer then 1 week without the consent of the landlord what can i do about this situation
Unless they are violating the lease (at this point they aren't) you can't do anything about her boyfriend.

Your lease states she can have someone up to 7 days without your permission...he's only there 3-4 so what's your beef? And what they do all day is none of your business unless they are doing something that is violating the lease.

What can you do? Stop spying on your tenant and mind your own business until it becomes your business. You can also change the terms of the lease upon renewal if it really bothers you that that she has an overnight guest and they stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting