Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 AM

105 posts, read 338,220 times

Advertisements

Well, we had the meeting with the landlords. Is was even worse then I expected. Very toxic, I still feel bad. Manipulation, patronizing, coercion, how can your landlord be so unprofessional? Basically, it was all about pleasing their friends. Like, sure you don't make noise, but let's do what they want and put rugs, and many times in different ways, we say no, and then it starts all over. I'M ALLERGIC, DAMMIT, I already said it 10 times. And they never will check our noise level, and they never went down to check what kind of noise the neighbors get. While being their friends!

They gave us an email copy, things the property management forgot to tell us in the beginning. Concerning our moving in, more like private matters. But I found it interesting that the neighbors quoted this information a week after that.

Also, a very strange story about the pool area key. We didn't have the right number of the keys as per the agreement, where the pool key was missing. We couldn't get it for 3 months, asked the manager, he called the owners, then told us they promised to send it, but they didn't, called back, repeat several times. We thought it got lost and ended up ordering the key from the HOA and submitted the receipt. The story was, that they couldn't give us the key by some obsolete rule in the CC&R's and we were supposed to order it from the HOA ourselves. BUT THEY WOULD NOT TELL US ABOUT IT. Am I crazy or something is really wrong?

Last edited by whiterabbit2; 06-21-2011 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Wow. this is insane. It might be better to just your losses and move. I hate to say that because I feel that you aren't the issue here, the downstairs neighbor and landlord are. Seems to me your landlord made promises he couldn't keep...but, you could fight this with the help of a lawyer. The choice is yours. Please keep us updated

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM

249 posts, read 825,035 times
Have you asked the HOA for an ADR hearing? ADR committees are non-board members and typically deal with neighbor disputes. In my community at least, the ADR committee would hear both sides of the story & visit each residence to see if the downstairs neighbor is just nuts or if it really is a valid issue.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
The next time you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, or drink of water, and they start to bang on the ceilig, GO RIGHT DOWN TO THEM< pound on the door and tell them to knok it off, if you feel you are being reasonably quiet, i would not tollerate that crap....i would take care of it myself, never mnind ownere, hos, whatever....go right down to them.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
This is why some will never live in multi-family housing let alone an HOA.

Too many people have a say or think they do as to how you live.

One 4-plex I managed had beautiful matchstick hardwood floors throughout... the building was from the 1930's and lovingly restored by the owner.

The only way to keep peace was to carpet with commercial pad... it was a travesty, but had to be done.

Expectations today are very high and tempers short.

I'm sure the owner would choose not to spend the money for carpet if feasible...

I creatively solve a noise problem at another building I managed by advertising the units through the California School for the Deaf... no more noise complaints

Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The next time you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, or drink of water, and they start to bang on the ceilig, GO RIGHT DOWN TO THEM< pound on the door and tell them to knok it off, if you feel you are being reasonably quiet, i would not tollerate that crap....i would take care of it myself, never mnind ownere, hos, whatever....go right down to them.
Certainly an option for some... not one I would use because I simply would never choose to live/remain in a battle zone...

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,073 times
I have a neighbor like you upstairs and it makes my life a living hell. You obviously have no idea how impact noise on bare wood floors carries and that -- yes -- it wakes people up. Rugs even decrease creaking wood floors. You are the problem, not your neighbors. If your building does not have rug laws, then it is an oversight. The vast majority of buildings have rules that you need to have 75-85% of your hardwood floor surfaces covered with rugs and padding just for this reason. You are very much in the wrong. If you are unable to live with rugs due to allergies, then you are the one who needs to move to a first floor apartment.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
They may be trying to get you out simply because you're renters. Are other condo units rented or are they all owner occupied?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
When your lease is up, they probably will not renew it.

Maybe you should start looking at other rentals now. If you find one, ask your landlord if they will allow you out of your lease early with no penalty, due to the circumstances with the below neighbor.

You have approx 5 months to go on the lease, right?

You are not required to install any rugs per your lease.

I feel for you. I would just move when the lease was up even if landlord allows you to renew. I'd also try to get out sooner. Again, the landlord will likely not renew the lease for you even if you do want to stay. This is just my guess.

Sounds like the landlord and everyone else is cowering to the neighbors on the lower floor. My bet is once you are out, the landlord will install some kind of runner rugs and also place this in the next lease. They screwed up by forgetting this last time, and now everyone is suffering.

Life is too short for this BS.

A lawyer might be in order for representing you at this point. However, you would have to pay for this. Besides, you propably will need to move when the lease is up regardless, as the landlord always has that right once the lease expires..at least in most states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting