Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,054 times

Advertisements

I currently live with my now ex-boyfriend and two other roommates. We are all on the lease together, and it ends at the end of September. I will be moving out now that my ex and I are broken up. I am not concerned about them paying the rent, and if that was the only issue I wouldn't even bother doing anything about it honestly, but I want to make sure I protect myself in terms of liability. I am more concerned about them burning the place down accidentally and having someone come after me or something.

Do I need to make sure a new lease is signed without me on it? Or as long as I have a record of me notifying the owner that I will be moving out with my roommates assuming the responsibility of the full rent (and him accepting it) am I ok?

I'm not worried about breaking the terms of the lease. I don't anticipate any problem with that when he's getting his rent either way, but I want to protect myself legally in case anything happens to the house between now and the end of the existing lease.

I'm in VA in an apartment in a house where the owner resides, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Contact your landlord and ask him how he wants to do it.

Even if this is the first time it won't be the last time this will happen to him...
so he should have a protocol in mind that allows you to do what you need and still protects his interests which might mean he asks EVERYONE to get out or to re-apply etc.

But the bottom line is that you are still obligated under the lease terms even if you move out...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The bottom line is that you're a leaseholder in common with the other tenants and thus you all are jointly and severally responsible to abide by all the terms of the lease agreement until it ends.

I suggest you talk to your landlord and ask that your name be removed from the lease. It sounds as though your room-mates are agreeable to that but it has to be set down in writing and notarized so that you're off the hook. Hope that helps.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Did you pay part of the deposit? What are your plans for refund when all roommates eventually vacate? This needs to be addressed as well in your plans. Definitely talk to your landlord and see what his policy is then get that in writing before you move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting