Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 19,315 times

Advertisements

I have been leasing the house for 10 months. Our lease expired the end of July. Saturday June 18th there was a sign on my front yard that the house I'm renting is for sale. I was never notified by mail or phone or no communication of any source that the house was going to be put on the market. Monday june 20th I got an email from the property manager with an attached letter saying that a realtor was going to contact me so he can come in and 'look' at the house and that we have 48 hrs notice to show the house.
I probably could cooperate but I feel that they (the property manager and the realtor) are abusing their power and invading my privacy. We have 40 days until our lease is up. Me as a paying tenant of this property can I tell them to go pound sand and to wait until I am out of here? I work from home and have 2 small children who are out of school cuz school is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,312,291 times
Your rights depends on which state you live in (and sometimes in which city/county).
Each state is different, but you also need to read your lease, it should say the reason for entry by the LL or management company.
Also after the lease is up, it goes month to month, usually depending on the state, they will need to give you a notice of vacancy with 30 or 60 days notice.
Some state only limits the LL entry for very very small situations, while others are more relaxed.
But usually LL cant enter the property without your permission.
Now, you can call the LL or management company and find out if they are selling the house to another LL, marketing the place as a income property and only sell the house to another investors, then you are not moving, the rent might go up, I would say 99% sure it will go up.
If you like the house see if you can buy it. Usually rent is higher then the actual mortgage so if you can pay that rent you can buy the house if you have the money for down payment, if it is your fist house then you only need 3.5% of down payment.
If they are selling the house to potential home buyers for residence, then I would start looking for another place.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM

912 posts, read 5,242,666 times
You don't really have too many rights here.

They own the property. You don't. If they want to sell it, then they are 100% within their rights to do so.

I wouldn't give them too much trouble. Maybe they'll sell it to another investor and your rent will increase a pittance once your lease is up.

But if you give them too much trouble, you can be guaranteed that your lease won't be renewed and you'll have to find a new place to live, pronto.

Most leases should state that the landlord can come in for inspection with a 48hour notice.

Now its certainly a good time to buy, and I can bet you that the mortgage would be less than what you are paying for rent now. So its worth looking into it.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 19,315 times
I live in Tucson. The landlord already sent us a letter 1 month ago saying that our lease was not going to be renewed. My husband and I wanted to find out what our options were buy this house and the landlord said nothing (she manages properties, not sales) And now all of a sudden the house is for sale? We have another place to stay when this lease is up. We are building a bran new house and have other place to live while our house if being done. That is not what I'm concern about. The problem I am having is that we could have bought this house yet the landlord is such a meanie. And we don't get a written notice that the house is for sale and that random people will come into our place that, yes I understand that they own/she manages and whatever but, is MY space, I am paying for it. Wait 40 days until I am the hell out of here and you don't have to deal with me and they can do whatever they wish with the house. I don't give rats. I don't care. But not when I am here. To be honest, I am so mad.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,622,307 times
and what is all that frustation and being mad going to do/ Nothing.
The property owner is 100% within their rights to sell the house and never tell or offer it to you. get over it.

As for showing the place, you are 100% within YOUR RIGHTS TO REFUSE. but that right to refuse has to be yours to use. Did you sign a lease? If so what does it say about the showing of property? If you signed a lease and agreeded to accomodate showing, you have nothing to be upset about because you agreed to it. You can't agree to terms and conditions in writing and decide that you don;t want to live up to them because your mad. Abide by the terms of the lease. I beyt if the LL decided to terminate your lease 90 days early because they wer mad that you didn;t ask if they were selling the house, you would be all over them, waving the lease in their face, well it's a two way street!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,934,643 times
smile sweetly and tell the PM that cash for keys will get them the right to show the house at any time they wish
and since you work from home you will be there for all showings .. and then sit tight .. you got 40 days to pack and move out .

Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,897 times
like to know when the landlord dont keep up the property and its danger to live here, can i hold the rent money til he does something?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM

6,790 posts, read 11,431,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudmandjnanny View Post
like to know when the landlord dont keep up the property and its danger to live here, can i hold the rent money til he does something?
And how exactly is this question even remotely related to the original post, which was 20 months ago???

Start a new thread with more details and give us the city and state where the property is located.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,495,863 times
Quote:
Go to the first "sticky" on this forum where you will probably find your state's landlord tenant laws linked. There are very, very few circumstances under which you can withhold rent for any reason and, in those instances where you've exhausted all other remedies (which you'll find in those state laws), you have to go through the courts and put the rent into an escrow account with the court pending resolution of the issues.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM

32,523 posts, read 47,566,435 times
Quote:
If you are going to withhold money for repairs, you must go through the housing courts. You will still pay your rent, but you pay it to the court and the court escrows it and gives it to the landlord after the repairs are done.

If you simply stop paying rent, you are going to be evicted. An eviction on your permanent record will make your life very difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting