Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrren View Post
Is there a law that says they have to paint? As I mentioned, they did not paint for the previous tenants. You would think they would have to paint - if they are charging them in the security deposit. I can't live with the 2 foot spots on the wall that does not match the original paint. It was a bad fix
The only time a landlord is required to re-paint is if the current paint poses a health/safety issue. Otherwise a landlord is never required to paint. If your can't live with the current paint job, I suggest you take the landlord up on his offer and paint it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Before I owned, I rented an apartment in the building I currently own in now, I live in the smaller apartment for 4 years, and I painted it every year.... the LL loved me......................

As a tenant, I can paint better than a real painter can, so I don't appreciate your remark about tenants painting.

PS: I have been painting since I was 12 years old with my Father, trust me, I can paint the ass off anyone.
So you fall of a ladder and sue me because I said it was OK I do not think so. It has nothing to do with how you paint.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrren View Post
Is there a law that says they have to paint?
I already answered that question - no.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
So you fall of a ladder and sue me because I said it was OK I do not think so. It has nothing to do with how you paint.

why would I sue you if i feel off a ladder?

well, too bad, i'm living there,i'm painting.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why would I sue you if i feel off a ladder?
You may not but some will and some may succeed in a claim because they were essentially contracted to do a job and, if using the owner's equipment, may be able to prove that said equipment was in disrepair and thus falls under the owner's liability coverage.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The bolded sentence is key. You signed the lease but but got nothing in writing to confirm that the unit would be painted so now, unfortunately, you're stuck unless you can persuade them otherwise. There's no law that says landlords have to paint between tenants and plenty don't.

Are you dealing directly with the landlord or the property manager? I would relay to whoever that the property manager mentioned when you signed the lease that the unit would be repainted, that you're not proficient enough to take on the job yourself but that since it was your understanding that it would be done then ...

All you can do is try! Good luck!
I agree with this - if new paint is a condition for moving in, then get it writing that they will do it. It would be a hassle to have to break the lease and find somewhere else, but at least you'd have the legal right to get out.

As for the OP's question (which I know is old), if I had a tenant who damaged the paint enough in 2 years that they wanted it repainted, I'd hand them a box of Magic Erasers and tell them to knock themselves out.
And I'm not and never have been a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting