U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 39,885 times
Default Repaint Walls - Who is Responsible?

Two years ago all interior wall paint was in good condition. Now, as a condition of lease renewal, the tenants want four rooms repainted due to scuffing/marks caused by their children. I'm out of state and haven't seen the current condition. My property manager relayed a quote of $2,000 to do a repaint.

1st, it strikes me as unreasonable to need an extensive repaint after two years. Isn't that beyond normal wear and tear? Shouldn't it come out of the renter's deposit?

2nd, the quote seems extremely high to me, especially in this economy. Does it sound right to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,737,036 times
Obviously there's a question of how bad the scuffing is. If the tenant is upset about a tiny 3" mark on the wall, then that's just normal wear and tear. But if the paint is absolutely destroyed, then that sounds like damage caused by the tenant's children. I don't think you'll be able to answer that one until you see it for yourself.

If it is normal wear and tear, I wouldn't think you'd be under any obligation to repaint it. It would be NICE of you to do so if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, but asking a landlord to cover every little scuff / ding / mark seems over the top. Especially when there are young children involved.

If it's beyond normal wear and tear, I'd let the tenant know that you'll be happy to repaint the walls now at their expense. Of course, any relevant terms in your lease or local landlord/tenant laws should be considered.

$2000 seems awfully high for painting. Do you have a large amount of trim that needs to be removed, or any specialty fixtures? Does that figure include moving the tenant's possessions out of the way?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:44 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,177,329 times
I wouldn't repaint after two years. Have the tenants pay for someone to wash their walls if they don't like the scuffs. The apartment must be habitable by law, but this does not mean you need to paint the darn place. Tell them no. If you do it, they will ask again and perhaps for more in two years.

With that said, if they were great tenants who had lived there for 10 years, then I would consider paint and/or carpet. But no way after two years. Heck, my own house doesn't get paint every two years.

Also, that paint quote is outrageous for 4 rooms. I wouldn't pay it.

Last edited by Beth56; 07-01-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

5,111 posts, read 9,278,209 times
I sort of agree and sort of disagree on both points.

Repainting is an owner responsiblity if necessary between tenant due to fading, damaged, mismatched (like where photos hung for a long time, not from a tenant doing touchup with a wrong color) or peeling paint. Repainting is a tenant responsibility (with owner approval) during occupancy for reasons of damage. Repainting during tenant occupancy for normal wear and tear reasons is debatable. Most landlords will only repaint when a unit is vacant, unless a tenant occupies for a long time.

So on that point, I would give them authority to repaint it themselves, at their own expense, if they choose to do so. Since the repainting will be due to damage, if they opt to not renew their lease, some or all of the cost will come out of their deposit (most state's laws say cost must be prorated, depending on the age and expected life span of the paint)

But if they have otherwise been excellent tenants, the house is immaculate, they are taking care of all odds and ends repairs, rent is always on time or early, you have never had a notice that a utility bill was unpaid, you have had no complaints from neighbors or HOA, and the yard is immaculate (if their responsibility) THEN it might be worth keeping them happy

On the subject of cost, we just had an entire interior of a 1600 square foot house repainted for $2200. Including trim. So if all they are needing is the walls in 4 rooms repainted, $2000 seems very high to me.

But I haven't seen these rooms. If the house is older than 1978, there may be additional costs due to the new lead based paint remediation requirements. If the rooms have a ton of things to tape off, that will cost extra. If the existing paint is dark, it may take more coats to cover. Plus, this isn't just repainting, this is repairing damage and repainting. If the damage is bad, it might take a lot of prep work. Finally, the painter is probably going to charge more for an occupied house than a vacant house, even if the tenant moves all their furniture out of those rooms for the repaint, just because it is a pain to coordinate with tenants.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM

2,060 posts, read 2,776,190 times
Were the walls freshly painted when they moved in? We were going to ask our landlord for this too at our 2 year renewal, but the walls were badly repainted by the previous tenant rather than damaged by us and we got sick of looking at it. We ended up buying our own place in the end instead!

And yes $2,000 is insane. Perhaps you could offer to cover the cost of materials if they do it themselves.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM

402 posts, read 561,483 times
Question To Paint or Not to Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektr4 View Post
Two years ago all interior wall paint was in good condition. Now, as a condition of lease renewal, the tenants want four rooms repainted due to scuffing/marks caused by their children. I'm out of state and haven't seen the current condition. My property manager relayed a quote of $2,000 to do a repaint.

1st, it strikes me as unreasonable to need an extensive repaint after two years. Isn't that beyond normal wear and tear? Shouldn't it come out of the renter's deposit?

2nd, the quote seems extremely high to me, especially in this economy. Does it sound right to you?
If the walls are so bad that they need to be repainted after ONLY two years, then your tenants are damaging the paint. This is NOT considered normal wear and tear and you should not have to repaint every two years--when the SAME tenants are living there. Carpet cleaning after two years IS warranted, but NOT painting.

If you wanted to forgive "paint damage" after a two-year-tenant MOVES OUT--that is your prerogative. However, a tenant demanding that you repaint to repair their damage (while they are continuing to rent from you) is just wrong. They are not only asking you to pay for their damages NOW, but they are setting a precedent for the future. If you do this now, then when they move out in two more years--you would have no basis to deduct fees for damaged paint. A judge would say that you already condoned ruining paint after a two year tenancy.

When was the last time that the property manager performed a routine inspection? If they are that "hard" on the walls, what do the floors, counters, and appliances look like? I don't know if you have wood floors, granite counters, and stainless steel appliances or something more indestructible.

As far as the cost of repainting: there are many variables: required prep-work to repair surface damage, size of room, accessibility issues (vaulted ceilings, covering or moving furniture), brand/type of paint, number of coats, etc. I would not want to pay $2,000 to paint four small bedrooms with low ceilings.

Did your property manager procure this estimate or did he just relay it from the tenants?

Whatever you do--DO NOT allow your tenants to paint it themselves. That can be bad.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,177,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post

If the walls are so bad that they need to be repainted after ONLY two years, then your tenants are damaging the paint. This is NOT considered normal wear and tear and you should not have to repaint every two years--when the SAME tenants are living there. Carpet cleaning after two years IS warranted, but NOT painting.

If you wanted to forgive "paint damage" after a two-year-tenant MOVES OUT--that is your prerogative. However, a tenant demanding that you repaint to repair their damage (while they are continuing to rent from you) is just wrong. They are not only asking you to pay for their damages NOW, but they are setting a precedent for the future. If you do this now, then when they move out in two more years--you would have no basis to deduct fees for damaged paint. A judge would say that you already condoned ruining paint after a two year tenancy.

When was the last time that the property manager performed a routine inspection? If they are that "hard" on the walls, what do the floors, counters, and appliances look like? I don't know if you have wood floors, granite counters, and stainless steel appliances or something more indestructible.

As far as the cost of repainting: there are many variables: required prep-work to repair surface damage, size of room, accessibility issues (vaulted ceilings, covering or moving furniture), brand/type of paint, number of coats, etc. I would not want to pay $2,000 to paint four small bedrooms with low ceilings.

Did your property manager procure this estimate or did he just relay it from the tenants?

Whatever you do--DO NOT allow your tenants to paint it themselves. That can be bad.
I totally agree.

And I also would never let tenants paint anything. I've seen what they do.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM

11,855 posts, read 10,287,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I totally agree.

And I also would never let tenants paint anything. I've seen what they do.

Before I owned, I rented an apartment in the building I currently own in now, I live in the smaller apartment for 4 years, and I painted it every year.... the LL loved me......................

As a tenant, I can paint better than a real painter can, so I don't appreciate your remark about tenants painting.

PS: I have been painting since I was 12 years old with my Father, trust me, I can paint the ass off anyone.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 AM

2,797 posts, read 3,534,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Before I owned, I rented an apartment in the building I currently own in now, I live in the smaller apartment for 4 years, and I painted it every year.... the LL loved me......................

As a tenant, I can paint better than a real painter can, so I don't appreciate your remark about tenants painting.

PS: I have been painting since I was 12 years old with my Father, trust me, I can paint the ass off anyone.
So, since you are a good painter, that means that ALL tenants are good painters?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM

11,855 posts, read 10,287,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
So, since you are a good painter, that means that ALL tenants are good painters?

NO, but that doesn't mean that all tenants are NOT good painters.

Mod Edit... off topic

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-01-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting