Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,912 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if the OP has told the "tenant" that the offer was revoked yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
OP has entered into an agreement, via e-mail with the prospective tenant. However, no consideration has been tendered, so technically it should not be enforceable. However, I jump on the "shame on you" bandwagon. OP had all the information at hand to make a decision: the future tenant TOLD him he was late on the rent occasionally; he had a list of jobs the future tenant has/had. It was only AFTER talking with a friend who gave him HER OPINION on the validity of the jobs. The OP had the opportunity to check it out BEFORE agreeing to rent to the future tenant.

SHAME ON YOU! the VETERAN already gave his notice. If you back out on him, I hope karma will bite you in the butt.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
There are two issues here: your ethical obligation and your legal obligation. Ethically speaking, this was extremely disrespectful behavior on your part. One repercussion is that you may be subject to a bad (and perfectly legitimate) on line review. However, since your subsistence apparently doesn't depend upon your being a landlord, this probably isn't a big deal.

Legally, you may have a problem. Regardless of lease status or money exchanged, your actions probably constitute an agreement in principle. Assuming there were no witnesses, you could always lie about the verbal agreement. The email, on the other hand, is pretty hard for you to deny. At the very least, this tenant-not-to-be has legal cause to pursue you in conciliation court for any costs he incurs as a result of your actions.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Legally, you may have a problem. Regardless of lease status or money exchanged, your actions probably constitute an agreement in principle. Assuming there were no witnesses, you could always lie about the verbal agreement. The email, on the other hand, is pretty hard for you to deny. At the very least, this tenant-not-to-be has legal cause to pursue you in conciliation court for any costs he incurs as a result of your actions.
Great info. I read that state law and it states right at the very begining that a lease is any agreement in writing and verbally. It does not requie anything written, and it does not require any money exchange hands to become enforcable. All that is required is the required terms and conditions be agreed upon and accepted by both sided. Sounds like that email may be the speed bump. Of course who knows if the prospect tenant know enough to pursue it, but the OP should be on guard because under that persons state law, they have a binding contract (despite claims otherwise)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
The tenant ..... gets a modest VA check that falls short of my rent amount. Tenant has also said they occasionally are late with current rent due to not always getting their VA check on time. Tenant also said they did not have full security deposit at move in time but would make it up.
This is all you need to not rent the home. If the person does not have the financing for the deposit and is already giving you BS about the check is in the mail. Then state this as your reason not to rent. VA checks are direct deposit so the only way they are going to be late is if the 1st falls on a weekend day or a holiday.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,006 times
Wow. You told the veteran you would rent to him. You agreed to let him pay the deposit in payments. He gave notice at his current residence. He is home packing. And because some friend of yours claims that your new tenant's job doesn't pay much you want to back out and let this guy just twist in the wind. Shame on you. A person on a fixed VA income doesn't have a lot of rental choices. Kick up your moral barometer a bit and do what you said you would do.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Just wondering if the OP has told the "tenant" that the offer was revoked yet?

still wondering . . .

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Great, you're going to make a veteran homeless? Seriously, do you really think that's ok? You made you bed buddy. Sleep in it.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Ok what about me a man named nick contacted me to rent his house the price was amazing so I was sketched I looked up the deed info and it came back as Kent not nick as the owner so I called Kent he verified everything nick said I told him the deed was still in his name he said he don't own the home any more and nick does I told him I would only sign the lease with nick if I had his Kent permission do to the fact that his name was on the deed and not nick he gave me permission to sign the lease with nick I asked Kent well if the sale don't go through for some reason and u end up still owning your home what wild happen to me and my son he said that wild never happen and if it did he not interest in the property that he signed rover his rights to the bank so ne ways I signed the lease moved in and paid nick now police showed up says this is a bank owned home I told them what happens and they could not contact nick but we did get ahold of Kent who verified with the police I had called Kent and had prior permission before sign the lease with nick or gave out money and move in well now Kent owns the house they said and they asked us to come to an arrangements for me to rent directly from Kent and we made an agreement I have voicemails recordings txt messaging Ext I already paid my rent deposit to nick but now Kent wanted me to pay him again cause I aid nick not him so when I went to pay him he wild not take the money iv been living there fixing up the house now Kent locked me out said he wants to sell the home never gave me ne notice I asked if I cld have my property he wild not return it he even lied to the cops and said I had no agreement and had me arrested for trespassing iv never been arrested before I'm a single mother with no criminal history never ever been arrested before this I guess nick was a scammed not sure if Kent is in on it but it sounds like it to me I live in Oregon

Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klovesme View Post
Ok what about me a man named nick contacted me to rent his house the price was amazing so I was sketched I looked up the deed info and it came back as Kent not nick as the owner so I called Kent he verified everything nick said I told him the deed was still in his name he said he don't own the home any more and nick does I told him I would only sign the lease with nick if I had his Kent permission do to the fact that his name was on the deed and not nick he gave me permission to sign the lease with nick I asked Kent well if the sale don't go through for some reason and u end up still owning your home what wild happen to me and my son he said that wild never happen and if it did he not interest in the property that he signed rover his rights to the bank so ne ways I signed the lease moved in and paid nick now police showed up says this is a bank owned home I told them what happens and they could not contact nick but we did get ahold of Kent who verified with the police I had called Kent and had prior permission before sign the lease with nick or gave out money and move in well now Kent owns the house they said and they asked us to come to an arrangements for me to rent directly from Kent and we made an agreement I have voicemails recordings txt messaging Ext I already paid my rent deposit to nick but now Kent wanted me to pay him again cause I aid nick not him so when I went to pay him he wild not take the money iv been living there fixing up the house now Kent locked me out said he wants to sell the home never gave me ne notice I asked if I cld have my property he wild not return it he even lied to the cops and said I had no agreement and had me arrested for trespassing iv never been arrested before I'm a single mother with no criminal history never ever been arrested before this I guess nick was a scammed not sure if Kent is in on it but it sounds like it to me I live in Oregon
Contact an attorney for advice. If your finances are stretched, go to Legal Aid in your area. I don't think anybody on a general forum can possibly help you as this is a strictly legal matter of some complexity and confusion, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting