U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-07-2011, 07:59 PM

31 posts, read 38,407 times
Default Roach infestation needs advice

when i saw the apartment for the first time it was a mess the carpet had dark spots, there was dust all over and everything was scattered all over the place. The landlord cleaned it but there was still dark spots on the carpet and he said that they wouldn't come off.
I found roaches in there when i moved in last year. I never brought it up to the landlord because that is just what i expected i was looking for a place to stay and was running outta time and that's the only one apartment i found that i could afford. So i brought it up to him a couple months ago. He hired some people to get them outta there but he is acting like I am the one to blame for the infestation.
Its an illegal apartment and the people downstairs told me that the apartment wasn;t even built properly because he got people who were suppose to take care of the lawn do it for him and by looking at the apartment you can clearly see that.
second, the landlord gave me two pieces of furnitures in which i found roach shells in and one of them smelled like cat poop so i had to take it outta the apartment.
third there are many holes on the floor and i have no clue where they lead to.
my question is if he were to take me to court could he proove that i am responsible for the infestation and can i use what i have stated obove as a defense?
thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-07-2011, 08:26 PM

8,119 posts, read 9,943,957 times
What state are you in?

Unread 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM

706 posts, read 1,187,134 times
Yes, generally if it's an illegal unit nobody has a leg to stand on. But if you want to live there don't rock the boat, cause if you complain the city will close it and you will have to move, possibly immediately.

If you've gone a year and still can't afford anything better you really need to get off the couch and get a job or take night classes or something so you can move into a non-roach infested illegal apartment. Luck to you.

Unread 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM

204 posts, read 459,986 times
Because you did not report the infestation at move in, I do not think that you can blame it on him at this date. You can try, but without any sort of documentation that the problem was pre-existing, you will be held accountable for bringing in the bugs.

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM

18,969 posts, read 19,726,634 times
Your LL is hardly going to take you to court if the apartment is illegal. Buy a couple of roach "bombs" and use them regularly as directed to keep your place relatively roach-free.

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:09 AM

14,428 posts, read 14,862,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiermx View Post
when i saw the apartment for the first time it was a mess the carpet had dark spots, there was dust all over and everything was scattered all over the place. The landlord cleaned it but there was still dark spots on the carpet and he said that they wouldn't come off.
I found roaches in there when i moved in last year. I never brought it up to the landlord because that is just what i expected i was looking for a place to stay and was running outta time and that's the only one apartment i found that i could afford. So i brought it up to him a couple months ago. He hired some people to get them outta there but he is acting like I am the one to blame for the infestation.
Its an illegal apartment and the people downstairs told me that the apartment wasn;t even built properly because he got people who were suppose to take care of the lawn do it for him and by looking at the apartment you can clearly see that.
second, the landlord gave me two pieces of furnitures in which i found roach shells in and one of them smelled like cat poop so i had to take it outta the apartment.
third there are many holes on the floor and i have no clue where they lead to.
my question is if he were to take me to court could he proove that i am responsible for the infestation and can i use what i have stated obove as a defense?
thanks for your advice.
Sweet Mother McCree, why do you want to live in such deplorable conditions? If you say that it is all you can afford, then you need to get your butt into a second job ASAP. You are going to catch some disease living like that. Yuck.

20yrsinBranson

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM

4,932 posts, read 8,298,271 times
You may have problems renting somewhere else too. We have an entire page in our lease where the tenant has to certify that they have not had an infestation (such as roaches or bedbugs) in the last 5 years. If they have had, we would not rent to them, or if we did, we would require $2000-2500 more in deposit. Our only roach infestation we have had was caused by the tenants, and cost $900 hard costs and took 9 months of treatments, so we lost some rent too.

Unread 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM

31 posts, read 38,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What state are you in?
New York

Unread 07-09-2011, 12:31 AM

798 posts, read 888,572 times
I would never move into an apartment that had roaches. What in the world were you thinking? I hope you don't have children in that place . . .

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:15 PM

3,975 posts, read 3,888,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
You may have problems renting somewhere else too. We have an entire page in our lease where the tenant has to certify that they have not had an infestation (such as roaches or bedbugs) in the last 5 years. If they have had, we would not rent to them, or if we did, we would require $2000-2500 more in deposit. Our only roach infestation we have had was caused by the tenants, and cost $900 hard costs and took 9 months of treatments, so we lost some rent too.
\

And how exactly is this certified? Do they have to get a notorized statement?

And if they say no, do you call all their previous landlords and ask them if there was a bug issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting