Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,585 times

Advertisements

Just received applications from tenants applying for a non-smoking property who claim to not smoke on their applications.
One is clearly smoking in several facebook photos and even mentions that he smokes too many cigarettes.
How can I handle this without saying that I was checking his facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,001,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahunter212 View Post
Just received applications from tenants applying for a non-smoking property who claim to not smoke on their applications.
One is clearly smoking in several facebook photos and even mentions that he smokes too many cigarettes.
Last I checked, there is no law against using Facebook as a tool to determine if someone is lying.

Do you really even have to give them an explanation? Can't you just say that someone else got the apartment(s)? I think it would be much better NOT to give them a reason. They can't sue you if you don't give them a reason.

"But why didn't we get it"?

"That is the decision, thank you for applying"

*click*

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,028,513 times
Why the worry about saying you checked his FB? Just say, I saw your FB page and it's clear you tried to deceive me. You lied on your application.

If you don't want a liar - or a smoker - don't BE a liar. Tell it like it is. People know that FB is like seeing them in person on a street.

Are you telling me you couldn't smell that he is a smoker? Have a cold? severe allergies?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,727,691 times
Maybe he quit recently? Because he smoked too much?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM

204 posts, read 1,501,914 times
I would not mention Facebook. I would however (as a non-smoker) readily detect cigarette smoke on their clothes and breath, in which case I would not rent to them. I live in Alaska. Many prospective tenants have stated: "Yeah, I smoke, but only on the porch." Scenario: It's -15 degrees at 2 am and the wind is blowing. These folks are going to spend 10 minutes dressing up like Nanook of the North to stand in sub-zero weather to suck on a butt? Get real; that's not happening. As an ex-smoker, I find cigarette smoke repugnant; it gets in everything fabric and is very difficult to remove.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM

819 posts, read 3,198,927 times
Why don't these people have their pages private?
Nobody can see my page unless they are my friend. I don't need people staring at my pictures and thinking that I'm lying on an application

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahunter212 View Post
Why do you care if he is smoking somewhere else? You can't regulate what he does when he is not in the property he rents from you. All you need be concerned with is that he not smoke in tht property, if that is a condition in his lease.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM

30,122 posts, read 23,504,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why do you care if he is smoking somewhere else? You can't regulate what he does when he is not in the property he rents from you. All you need be concerned with is that he not smoke in tht property, if that is a condition in his lease.
Exactly.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 PM

232 posts, read 1,648,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I think I would personally be more worried about the attempt to lie - if he lies about being a non-smoker when he was/is, what else would he lie about?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,602,397 times
1. You can use information found on FB if you want so long as it's not violating any laws.
2. Don;t assume what you see and read is current information.
3. If they quit smopking, they can claim they are non smokers because they are.
4. Use what you found to guide you but shouldn;t be the sole determination because you can be wrong.
5. Why not just ask the person straight up and tell them what you found and if you want to play it safe, have the lease modifed to request a signature as acknowledgment on the non-smoking policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting