Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

23 posts, read 110,708 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job in a city that has a somewhat cost of living. Ideally, I'd live with one of my friends in this city, but they are all either locked into leases, or live too far away from where I'd be working. So I figured I'd try to find a Roommate on Craigslist. A few of my friends have found their roommates off craigslist, and had a good experience, so I figured, how hard can it be, right? Wrong! I send out about 30 emails a day and almost no one responds. The few house viewings I've been to, it's the same thing over and over, you see the place, the roommates ask you a little about yourself, and then they say "well, were interviewing other potential roommates in the next few days, so we'll get back to you!" I mean, I get that you want a roommate that isn't a wierdo, and is going to be able to pay the bills, but is it really necessary always to be best friends with your roommates? It's just frustrating, because I have a full time job, I don't have bad credit, but I can't get a freaking place to live in an area that I want and can afford because someone decided in a 15 minute span that they didn't like me? Sorry if this is rambling, but I needed to get this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Because most of the people seeking roommates on CL are dope smoking deadbeats.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
I had the same problems (I'm a rather introverted person w/ a heavy course load at school plus a job, so I tend to stick to my room a lot) and in the end, I found it was just easier for me to save up some cash and pick out a place on my on then search for roommates to move in. doing it that ways give you fr more control as you will be the one picking people. Some people are just looking for someone sane to split the costs of living with, and some people seem to be looking for their new BFF when they post a room for rent ad.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrain12 View Post
I recently got a job in a city that has a somewhat cost of living. Ideally, I'd live with one of my friends in this city, but they are all either locked into leases, or live too far away from where I'd be working. So I figured I'd try to find a Roommate on Craigslist. A few of my friends have found their roommates off craigslist, and had a good experience, so I figured, how hard can it be, right? Wrong! I send out about 30 emails a day and almost no one responds. The few house viewings I've been to, it's the same thing over and over, you see the place, the roommates ask you a little about yourself, and then they say "well, were interviewing other potential roommates in the next few days, so we'll get back to you!" I mean, I get that you want a roommate that isn't a wierdo, and is going to be able to pay the bills, but is it really necessary always to be best friends with your roommates? It's just frustrating, because I have a full time job, I don't have bad credit, but I can't get a freaking place to live in an area that I want and can afford because someone decided in a 15 minute span that they didn't like me? Sorry if this is rambling, but I needed to get this off my chest.
Sign up for a 2 bedroom and advertise the room for rent yourself. The person subletting, versus the subletter is always in a more vulnerable position, so he will be more picky with a stranger.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
What JDM said. Just know the rental properties rules about this up front. And ALWAYS ALWAYS do a background check. I skipped this step and found myself living with a freshly freed felon. Thankfully, I had only a verbal month to month agreement with him. I kicked him out the first week since he lied on the application and was doing drugs. I just gave him the money back, but had to hold on to his possessions for several weeks! And I had to pay $100 to change the deadbolt. Lesson learned.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,485,271 times
I am finding the same problem. I am 49 year old woman with a cat and it would be fine to rent with someone who did not want A NEW BEST FRIEND.

in fact, I would like to get to know someone over a longer time. But only to see how they cope with day to day problems (like keeping good credit). No luck in my local paper. So far going back to word of mouth.

Living in Southern CA (finally) again.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I had the same problems (I'm a rather introverted person w/ a heavy course load at school plus a job, so I tend to stick to my room a lot) and in the end, I found it was just easier for me to save up some cash and pick out a place on my on then search for roommates to move in. doing it that ways give you fr more control as you will be the one picking people. Some people are just looking for someone sane to split the costs of living with, and some people seem to be looking for their new BFF when they post a room for rent ad.
Roommates can be come friends in many cases, however it gets tricky because it can blur the business side of it. One person knocking on the door to just have a chat when you want to relax and de-stress, or having one get offended when you don't want to go out in their social group, Or borrowing money (A no-no, you are already responsible for your share) its sort of the opposite of 2 roommate that don't get along. They get along great but the boundaries get crossed. it is possible to strike a balance in only a few cases and wind up with a friend beyond the period of living together.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Roommates can be come friends in many cases, however it gets tricky because it can blur the business side of it. One person knocking on the door to just have a chat when you want to relax and de-stress, or having one get offended when you don't want to go out in their social group, Or borrowing money (A no-no, you are already responsible for your share) its sort of the opposite of 2 roommate that don't get along. They get along great but the boundaries get crossed. it is possible to strike a balance in only a few cases and wind up with a friend beyond the period of living together.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
I've been on both sides of the Craigslist rommate search (first looking for a place and later trying to find someone to fill one of the vacant rooms when roommate moved out). I live in a decent house near the metro with relatively cheap rent so we got a lot of responses to our ad. We ended up not responding to anyone who didn't include information about themselves in their e-mail to us -- we wanted to know what they did for a living, their schedule, why they were moving, when they were available to stop by...stuff like that. It just made things a lot easier for us. If you haven't done that already, I highly suggest it. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
You sound like someone who can't get a date. Get some feedback on why people are passing up on you. You can also post in the roommates wanted section and then go look at apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting