Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,773 times

Advertisements

Never lived in an apartment b4 and want to spend less/save money. I was just wondering if most apartments pay for utilities? If so, which ones. Should this be something I look for when searching for an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
Most advertisements for apartments will tell you if utilities are included. Some include all utilities, some you pay electric, some you pay all utilities. When you start looking, you will find out then what apartments include all utilities. You may want to go with a place that pays all utilities because it will be fewer bills for you to worry about and remember to pay each month.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,638 times
My apartment building includes all utilities. It's my experience that most of the "all inclusive" apartments are in hirises, but this may just be a regional thing. It's very convenient.

You'll want to ask when you go apartment hunting. It is my experience that a significant number of landlords / PMCs will say stupid things like "Oh sure, all utilities are included free of charge ... you just pay gas and electric". Be sure to clarify that when they say "all utilities", that means electric + water + sewer + trash + gas.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
In my area its the older buildings that are "utilities included" because on the older builds they didn't install separate meters for multi-housing so its not possible to trace individual unit usage. I own a condo in an what used to be apartments built in the 60's and everyone pays 1/100 (100 units) of the tab. My tenant pays me a flat rate monthly and I, as the LL, deal with the fluctuations in my costs for the varying utility bills.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
In my area, most single family houses and plexes are "you use it, you pay for it", ie, no utilities included. Most apartments include sewer, water, trash, and sometimes cable and internet. You usually have to pay your own power and gas.

But yeah, very market specific.

Many condo units and townhouses also have HOA fees. Usually the owner pays those, but be sure to ask the question. Also, don't assume that just because there are amenities (like a pool, clubhouse, gym, etc) that they are included for free. Ask.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Never lived in an apartment b4 and want to spend less/save money. I was just wondering if most apartments pay for utilities? If so, which ones. Should this be something I look for when searching for an apartment?
Where I live about 40% of the places are heat and hot water included. Electric is rarely included.
Alot of the places that it isn't included have inefficient heating systems with sky high bills. Some of these electric heat because its the cheapest to maintain and the landlord doesn't care since he doesn't have to pay for it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Never heard of such a thing.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,764 times
In every complex I've lived in, trash was included. In two of them, water was included. In the most recent complex, they covered trash, but you were responsible for water/sewer - which the apartment complex would bill all residents by calculating the bill for the entire complex and then dividing it out based on how many residents were in each unit.

So it totally depends.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Utilities are paid for by the renter in most apartments in my neck of the woods.

Some older and smaller apartment buildings have gas heat and one furnace and the heat is inclded in the rent.

Electric is almost always is the renter's expense.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,773 times
Thanks for the replies so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting