U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,708,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
I rent an apartment where I have my own private patio which faces south. I really want to install a satellite dish (better programming and better value), but my landlord refuses to allow satellite dishes anywhere on the property. Her reasoning is that satellite dishes make the property look "ghetto."

After reading through FCC laws, I've concluded that I have every right to install a dish on my patio provided that I don't mount it to the building or drill holes through the wall. All I would have to do is place the dish on a pole and run the cables through my window. Should I pursue this with my landlord, or should I have it installed without consulting her?

As stated in the original post, he had no plans to damage the building in any way. He was going to attatch it to a pole (I assume a pole he paid for) and sit it on his patio. No damage whatsoever to the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 3,076,449 times
Exclamation ummm...

you may want to be careful or you may be looking for a new residence.
LL says 'NO'... then it's 'NO'. Let it go. If you pursue it you may find yourself signing a new lease stating 'NO Satellite Dishes'....
Koale

Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM

17,400 posts, read 23,014,712 times
you may want to be more careful in your reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
LL says 'NO'... then it's 'NO'.
it seems a popular theme that whatever the LL says is all that matters
too bad it just ain't so.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCC
What kinds of restrictions are prohibited?

Restrictions that prevent or delay installation, maintenance or use of antennas covered by the rule are prohibited. For example, in most cases, requirements to get approval before installing an antenna are prohibited.

What kinds of restrictions are permitted?

Restrictions necessary to prevent damage to leased property are permissible, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. For example, a lease restriction that forbids tenants from damaging the balcony floor when installing an antenna is likely to be permissible.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 AM

2,063 posts, read 3,076,449 times
Thumbs down Back it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
you may want to be more careful in your reading...

it seems a popular theme that whatever the LL says is all that matters
too bad it just ain't so.

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes | FCC.gov
You know...a LL can doc anything in their lease they want. If the lease says 'NO Satelite' then so-be-it. If you attach a dish to 'their' property it then belongs to them. If you sign the lease then you abide by it whether you want to or not. Mr R...you need to back off quite a bit.
Koale

Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM

3,599 posts, read 3,337,475 times
SO, if a landlord said none of those pesky african americans, asians, hispanics or women, whatever, then thats just the way it is?

I guess the whole federal law thing means nothing then.

And a large part of this discussion talks about not actually attaching a dish to the property so as not to damage it.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,966,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You know...a LL can doc anything in their lease they want. If the lease says 'NO Satelite' then so-be-it. If you attach a dish to 'their' property it then belongs to them. If you sign the lease then you abide by it whether you want to or not.
This is absolutely, positively, 100% incorrect.

Federal law says so.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,445,852 times
is this still going on?

A LL can not write into a lease that satellite dishes are prohibited. No way, No How.
No need to continue debating this because that's the law!

What a Ll can do is place reasonable restrictions on the installation. This is where some are confused. Reasonable restrictions include anything that will damage the property. Damage is anything that would occur that falls under definition of damages - holes, altering fixtures, and anything that will result in any need to make repairs after removed (using a rusted metal pole that causes staining of the ground, etc). Reasonable also means adhereing to local building codes for electrical and structual safety such as type of anchors, poles, grounding, wiring, etc, so long as they are not designed to act as a surragate baning of the dishes.

Here's our satelittle restrictions:
Dishes can not be fastened to the building an any manner that is not altready permitted for other personal items. We allow people to place window boxes on bracket already installed, tenants can hang their dishes in a similar manner so long as its secure.

Wires must be ran in accordance with local building codes. tenants can run wires for external antennas or lighting, or audio and they can run the wires for dishes in the same manner.

Dishes can be fixed by standoff brackets to the metal vent pipe on the roof, however acces to the roof is restricted to staff (who can not do personal work) or a licnesed contractor with appropriate licenese & insurance for the type of work they do. All other codes and restrictions apply.

Dishes can not cross from individual unit tenant leased space to common areas. That means dishes must be either on the roof, or on the back patio area.

Tripods, monopoles, weighted bases, etc are allowed so long as the entire system remains within the individual tenanat unit leased space and are installed as not to cause a safety or other hazard to the common area, property or other tenants.

Tenants do not need permission to install unless accessing the roof area (insurance requirments consistant with federal law) or requesting a waiver of installation requirments (seldom if ever granted).

These basic rules are well within federal law and have never been a reason to challenge the restrictions.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,783,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
This is absolutely, positively, 100% incorrect.

Federal law says so.

Federal law states a property owner can't prohibit the installation of a satellite dish except in a common area.

This shouldn't be an issue. If there is concern about the way an antenna is installed it is simple enough for a property owner to install a mast that will accommodate a dish or shared antenna. Or even several antennas if one tenant subscribes to Dish and another tenant subscribes to DirecTV. All it takes is one mast located anywhere with a clear view of the satellite.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,720 times
what if you previously had it installed say 13 yrs ago APPROVED when moved in and NOW the new LL wants to enforce having the dish taken down? Can someone please answer that??

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM

6,715 posts, read 4,349,287 times
If the LL gives proper notice of a change in terms of tenancy, I don't think you can do anything about it. You could always try to negotiate being able to keep it. If you're in the middle of a lease, you could argue that the terms can't be changed mid-lease, at least. Worth a try.

On the building I manage, we don't allow dishes or antennas or anything attached to the building. Apparently, many years ago, there was an antenna farm on the roof, and the fire dept. said they had to go - that they would interfere with fire safety.

So, maybe it's a fire dept thing? Or an insurance thing? It may just be that the new LL thinks they're ugly, I suppose. But, unfortunately, I really think you'll have to let him get rid of it once he gives you proper notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting