Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,996,554 times

Advertisements

I was just looking through some rental ads in Las Vegas. One rental that I came across rents for $1100 a month. In the ad, it stated that there is a "$950 application fee due at lease signing, no deposit."

I have never seen or heard of this. Is it more common than I think?

Clever way to basically get a non-refundable deposit? Smart? Shady? Unethical? Illegal?

I, personally, would not rent from a landlord like this because I have always taken care of the properties I have rented and expect to get my deposit back at the end.

I also wonder if it would potentially cause tenants to be more careless with the unit or would cause them to not really care about cleaning the place up because they aren't getting their money back either way. I suppose the landlord could still take them to small claims court, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 20,708,179 times
Nevada has no limit on the application fee. Landlords are free to charge whatever applicants are willing to pay. In a renter's market, application fees are low. in a tight market or hot property, the fee can be high. Simple american supply and demand.

Many ads that say "application fee, no deposit" are saying you pay the application fee now but are not required to also pay some or all of the deposit at the same time. If the landlord accepts a "security deposit" that can be interpreted by the courts as approving the application. So, by not accepting any "deposit" in advance, they have not approved your application.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
it stated that there is a "$950 application fee due at lease signing, no deposit."
Clever way to basically get a non-refundable deposit? Smart? Shady? Unethical? Illegal?
All of them but mostly I'll go with stupid and/or illiterate.

Whatever it is any reasonable LL might intend to have isn't there.
The worst being no mention of the intermediate approval step.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,996,554 times
No one else thinks that a $950 application fee (!!!) is strange? But no deposit? This totally tripped me out when I saw it earlier. It did say that applicants should have at least a 680 credit score and was a pretty decent house, so it wasn't a "low income" rental or anything...

Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 AM

32,487 posts, read 47,425,133 times
I'd hate to pay a $950 application fee and then be rejected for the rental.

But if a lot of landlords in Las Vegas are doing it, it is very likely completely legal to do.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM

937 posts, read 691,062 times
Quote:
In a renter's market, application fees are low. in a tight market or hot property, the fee can be high. Simple american supply and demand.
There is your deregulation at work.

All of this sounds as just another of many reason why I would never live there. And they talk about New York State.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,182,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
There is your deregulation at work.

All of this sounds as just another of many reason why I would never live there. And they talk about New York State.
Couldn't have possibly used a better example even though you most likely didn't even realize it. NY broker fees, which is what an administrative/application fee is in the end, are paid by the tenants right now because the demand is there for that but they have been paid by landlords before and tenants before that. As the market changes so do these types of practices even in high tenant controlled areas.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM

305 posts, read 563,482 times
Is this $950 refundable to those who don't get the apartment? Are they taking only one application at a time or several at once and picking among them? If the later and nonrefundable under any circumstances, the landlord could potentially collect close to a year's rent just in selecting an applicant.

I know in Chicago it's typical to take a $50-100 application fee plus a few hundred dollar move-in fee at the time of application. But any applicant that is turned down has their move-in fee returned. I have also heard of companies charging a holding deposit that is not refunded if the applicant is selected but decides to rent somewhere else but is refunded or rolled into the security deposit in all other circumstances. But taking large sums of money from several applicants with no intention of refunding any of it is pushing the boundaries of ethics in my opinion.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,305,232 times
High application fees also are effective in keeping the riff raff out of your applicant pool.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 PM

13,629 posts, read 12,250,555 times
The wording of it implies that its only collected after you're approved (due at lease signing,) so it does sound like it functions as a defacto non refundable deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting