Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,350,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
We recently moved (evicted) a tenant and once we got the OK, my SO and I moved an entire 1 bedroom apartment out in THIRTY MINUTES into a storage unit. LOL
I've never done it quite that fast, but I do it a lot faster than most people!

The trick is to think of decluttering and getting rid of stuff - and actually moving - as two separate activities. Yeah, spend the month before you move cleaning out your closet, your drawers, your bathroom cabinet. And get rid of stuff you don't need in the garage, and figure out what you'll be doing with any furniture you won't need at your new place - that's all fine and good!

But when it comes time to actually move? Time to put things in boxes? Just start in one corner of a room and put everything in. The less thought you put into it, the quicker it will go. That is NOT the time to be deciding if you want to keep a certain book, or should you give it to your sister, or maybe you should drop it off at the used bookstore? Just stick it in the box with the other books, and tape it up and move on.

If you do it that way, it's easy! Just have plenty of boxes on hand, and start a couple of days before the actual move, and you can pack up even a huge house in record time.

So many people see moving as this horrible months long activity - and that makes it into a miserable experience, when it can be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,097,416 times
LOL Nice tip for HEALTHY people!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,350,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
LOL Nice tip for HEALTHY people!
The same principle would work for anyone - healthy or not - just remember to keep the decluttering and the actual moving as two separate activities and do only one at a time. If you try to do both at once, it's mentally exhausting and takes forever. But done separately, it's much quicker.

It might take less healthy people a little longer, or people with bigger houses, or people with small children a little longer - but the principle is still a good one!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM

I now having trouble keeping my son motivated in getting his room packed... UGH!! I got the Kitchen & Bathrooms done Except for Bare Nessaties LOL LAnd lord says we can get the Keys to new apt on the 26th Wahoooo Hope that doesnt change LOL My son has 1 friend [so far] that's willing to help move furniture for about 2 hours!!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,908,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I now having trouble keeping my son motivated in getting his room packed
You: "You need to finish packing."
Son: "But I don't wannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
You: "No problem. Whatever isn't packed by 3:00pm today gets thrown out."

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM

hahahaha Tho the dumpster is 10 ft closer than the new apt I Dont Want to pack his Stuff!! So far hes done the D&D Books & his CDs/DVDs/Games thats it!!! sheesh At this rate hes going to be Nakked If I throw away his clothes LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM

MOVE is DONE!!! We took today Off ... tomarrow after Chropractors appt we come back & clean LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting