Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,415 times

Advertisements

I was staying in a two bed room apartment with a roomate for 8 months, the last month was on a month to month rent as the lease had expired. My roommate was moving out so he put in his thirty day notice to leave. I also put in my thirty day notice, but it was to transfer from the two bed room to a one bed room in a different portion of the complex. So I would be moving to a completely different apartment. I signed the intent to move form at the complex, but it wasn't a new lease or anything. I was told that that would be signed once the month was up. However, two days before the end of the month, I lost my job and told the apartment that I would not be able to move into the new apartment. They are now trying to charge me for an extra month rent at the two bed room even though I signed the transfer form stating that I would be out of the two bedroom apartment. ANything i can do? The state is New Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
That's a tricky one. My response is opinion only, you would probably need to talk to a local rental attorney to be sure.

First questions are, did you move out of the 2 bedroom as scheduled, with it all cleaned up as required, and turned in keys and everything? Did you ever actually have possession of the 1 bedroom unit? Those answers could change my opinion of the situation.

My opinion, assuming you never had the 1 bedroom, and moved out of the 2 bedroom properly, is that you gave proper notice for the 2 bedroom unit and shouldn't owe anything else for it. Your lease was expired, you were month to month, and you gave notice to vacate. Your responsibility at that unit is done.

HOWEVER, you might have some responsibility at the new unit. Even though you never signed a new lease for the new unit, they still held it off the market for you. What did the "intent to move" form say? That might be the key here.

I would guess that best case scenerio here would be that you lose your deposit, or at least enough of it to cover 1 month's rent at the 1 bedroom place. Depending on the rest of the details, and what the "intent to move" form says, you could owe more.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Yes, I actually moved out two days before the end of the month. THey even told me that I had a four day grace period in the old apartment because I wasn't scheduled to move into the new apartment untill the 4th of May. But I never was in possession of the 1 bedroom.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
It sounds like you're lucky they're not holding you responsible for the new lease on the one bedroom. Paying one month rent for the two-bedroom is a lot less than they could come after you for!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
where are ya gonna live now?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Well I never signed a lease on the one bedroom and the two bed room was 1k a month. I gave them thrity day notice that I was moving from the 2 bedroom to the one bedroom. That should count as a thirty day notice right?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngbll View Post
Well I never signed a lease on the one bedroom and the two bed room was 1k a month. I gave them thrity day notice that I was moving from the 2 bedroom to the one bedroom. That should count as a thirty day notice right?
As I said, it probably depends on what the "transfer form" or "intent to move" form you signed actually says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting