Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I will definitely being asking for more than just a security deposit when I rent my home out.
Security Deposits are regulated by state laws. You can only ask for what the law says you can. Violations of this are pretty hefty to LL. Some states you can be assesses double or triple the amount you charged above the law. Tenants are getting very wised to overcharging, failing to return in the time required by law, or failure to handle propely are becoming the latest wave of tenant suits against LL. Before collecting any security deposit, know what your state law says about it to avoid costly mistakes.

As for disabled/handicap, it is illegal under all state laws and fedreal law to charge a disable/handicap person a additional security deposit due to their diability or needs associated with their diability. Because the fines for violating this are so high, most LLs won;t even think of doing it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Did the landlord know that their new tenants were using wheelchairs before they leased to them?
Did they make any special notice of this in the lease? (eg: if a tenant has a dog most LL's will charge extra or require extra cleaning deposits?)

Assuming the wheelchair issues were known then I don't believe the LL has much (if any) legal space to later whine about damages from their use.
I think you are missing a few letters from your user name.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,943,762 times
I don't know how that will play out in court regarding wear and tear. A wheelchair is NOT normal use for the average person. It produces a much higher rate of wear than walking. The average person does not run into the walls the chip the edges. I would not consider it normal wear. I do not think the landlord should be expected to absorb additional damages caused by wheelchairs.

Situations like this are exactly why landlords don't want to rent to handicapped people. Instead of expecting entitlement - what if your relative offered to have the conditions fixed - so the landlord might look forward to the next handicapped resident - instead of trying to find a way to deny them.

A few years ago, we had a friend/tenant who had MS. She and her husband used to rent our beach house for a month in the summer because we have a wide door and large sunken tub that was easy for her to use. We had white carpet. We built her a ramp to the front door - a sheet of plywood and some 2X4's (I still have it in the garage) and we laid down plastic runners on the traffic areas. We never had a problem with damages and we looked forward to having them each summer.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:06 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,478,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Security Deposits are regulated by state laws. You can only ask for what the law says you can. Violations of this are pretty hefty to LL. Some states you can be assesses double or triple the amount you charged above the law. Tenants are getting very wised to overcharging, failing to return in the time required by law, or failure to handle propely are becoming the latest wave of tenant suits against LL. Before collecting any security deposit, know what your state law says about it to avoid costly mistakes.

As for disabled/handicap, it is illegal under all state laws and fedreal law to charge a disable/handicap person a additional security deposit due to their diability or needs associated with their diability. Because the fines for violating this are so high, most LLs won;t even think of doing it anymore.

I did not say I would charge a handicapped person extra. It would apply to all. I think first, last month and security are allowed. My home would not work for a handicapped person anyway. I am all for doing the right thing. If you damage someone's home, you should pay.

It saddens me that we live in a society where people do not feel obligated to be accountable for their actions. People respond to money. If they know I have two months of their rent, it would incentivize them to return the property in good condition.

A person's disability or children should not factor in unless it is normal wear and tear. The landlord will not get a discount to repair the damage if it caused by a disabled person or children. I wonder how the poster would react if a non related disabled person or child destroyed something valuable or expensive on their property.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Damages is not wear and tear.

Look at CA with very liberal laws on wear and tear in tenants favor. Faded paint is wear and tear, dull paint from people walking past is wear and tear. Crayon marks on the wall is damages. Execss dirt and grime on walls is damages.

For carpets, the wearing of carpet over the life span is wear and tear. Fading carpet from UV rays are wear and tear. Stains are Damages. Tenant introduced marks are damages.

If you put in new carpet with a 10 year life span and the first tenant has 12 kids on a one year lease. Wear in excess of one year when they move out is damages. It does not matter if you rented to a single person or a family of 12, one year wear is acceptable as wear and tear, 2 years wear is now damages.
Wear and tear is by definition, deteriorating conditions in the apartment caused by normal living. Since using a wheel chair and its associated wear is normal living, this would be wear and tear.
Might not be fair to the landlord( I agree it isn't) but thats the way it is.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
Just curious -- do you have legal precedent to back that opinion up?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Wear and tear is by definition, deteriorating conditions in the apartment caused by normal living. Since using a wheel chair and its associated wear is normal living, this would be wear and tear.
Might not be fair to the landlord( I agree it isn't) but thats the way it is.
Is this "normal" based on the general public or the physical handicap or mental illness. I would really like to know because I had a psych patient who apartment was trashed, never cleaned up or took out the trash and the dogs were allowed to poop anywhere and he NEVER took a bath. So you are saying that his "normal" behavior based on his mental illness is the expense of the LL?

Last edited by eyewrist; 08-27-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My question is why the tenants didn't do anything to mitigate the damages? Since they are now concerned about the damages, it didn't escape their notice that the carpet was getting dirty or that the wheelchair was hitting the edges of the walls.

Perhaps they should have tried placing a large towel on the carpet just inside the front door so the dirt from the wheelchair wheels would stain the towel and not the carpet. In addition, there is v-shaped plastic edge protector for walls available very inexpensively at home improvement stores that could been applied to save the walls.

Perhaps the landlord would have helped them with solutions if they had bothered to tell him/her that they were concerned about the damage they were doing. Instead they let the damage continue and now want to make the landlord responsible for it.
Yes, this is true. They could have done something to prevent these damages. One family had a son in a wheelchair and they put up Flexiglas on the bottom half of all the hall walls he used. They choose this because it didn't take away the esthetic of the home; allowing the paint to show through. These people may not been able to afford that but paneling would have been another altenative for them to put up OR let the LL know they needed more floor space and if he had an ADA adapted apartment or ask to get out of the lease so they wouldn't damage the property.

Last edited by eyewrist; 08-27-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Why don't YOU go over there and fix all the repairs needed from the use of the wheelchair if you are that concern. After doing these repairs and paying for them I bet you will be able to understand why LL use security depositfor situations such as these.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:53 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I have elderly, handicapped relatives who have been renting an apartment for nearly a year. They're getting ready to move in a few weeks and it's obvious that they've damaged the walls and carpet due to one of them being in a wheelchair. What happened is that the wheelchair leaves tracks on the carpet so some areas close to the doors have dark gray marks on a tan carpet. Because the apartment was not designed to be wheelchair accessible, some corners are hard to get around in a wheelchair. Therefore, some of the paint has been severely chipped off the corner of the walls.

I'm sure my relatives are going to lose their security deposit. They may even be charged extra fees for the damage, we're not sure. Can the security deposit be fought due to the relative being handicapped? There is no way the damage to the carpet and the wall could have been prevented.
Serious...? Put someone in a wheel chair and they are allowed to damage your place. Hell NO!

They are kept to the same criteria as everybody else and should have rented a place suitable for them.

I had once the question from a person who wanted to rent my place and told me that she was taking care of 3 people in wheel chairs and would move them in. I asked her how she was expecting to deal with the carpet and the home not wheelchair accesible without remodeling of this almost new build home? ....she stated that would be something that could be paid out of the security deposit and she asked for permission to paint all the interior walls (just done by a professional company) because she didn't like white walls. I explained her that I wouldn't allow it...and that was for her a reason not to rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting