Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleone6969 View Post
Also to the people that think I'm not wanting to pay... I tried and they returnedy check. They told
Me they are not allowed to accept
Money on the apt since its illegal. I've done everything possible to move but they drag their feet on the apartment owed. I have the money owed by me 3 years in escrow just in case
You are a school teacher with this grammar? God help America.

You are a school teacher who has lived rent free since 2008 and you are bitching? God, PLEASE, help America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 AM

23 posts, read 52,472 times
There is a lot of hating in America. Lol. Well resigned
It. No help to the people
On here . Received my 2 bedroom renovated and a buyout of 15000 dollars. Oh and the rent is 850 utilities included for the apt in a great area. I will enjoy it with my bad grammar and all dat lol.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
So, let me get this straight. NotsoNobleone...You're able bodied, well educated as a teacher, and just because you lived with your mom in that apartment and she knew the system, you're entitled to keep it? Shouldn't it go to someone who's truly needy?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
So, let me get this straight. NotsoNobleone...You're able bodied, well educated as a teacher, and just because you lived with your mom in that apartment and she knew the system, you're entitled to keep it? Shouldn't it go to someone who's truly needy?
No. That's not what rent control, actually rent stabilization, is. Of course he's entitled to keep it. Slum lords like Vantage (which even I have heard of, having never lived on the East Coast) are famous for skirting the law. In this case it was probably cheaper to let the tenant live rent free in an uninhabitable, illegal apartment than it would be to move them into a habitable, legal apartment as is required by law. Market rate on a 2bd apartment in Manhattan, even in Harlem, is $2,000+ unless it's a real dump.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I'd say to illegally sublet the apartment to ten illegal aliens, and then use that money to get a decent apartment elsewhere.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. That's not what rent control, actually rent stabilization, is. Of course he's entitled to keep it. Slum lords like Vantage (which even I have heard of, having never lived on the East Coast) are famous for skirting the law. In this case it was probably cheaper to let the tenant live rent free in an uninhabitable, illegal apartment than it would be to move them into a habitable, legal apartment as is required by law. Market rate on a 2bd apartment in Manhattan, even in Harlem, is $2,000+ unless it's a real dump.

Why is he entitled to keep it? Can you explain to me what rent control is and who it's supposed to benefit?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Why is he entitled to keep it? Can you explain to me what rent control is and who it's supposed to benefit?
It's supposed to benefit whomever is in that apartment. Rent control is not Section 8; there are no income restrictions - it is/was not a program for the needy. It has nothing to do with a specific tenant's life circumstances.

Rent control in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a tenant moves out of a rent-controlled apartment, that apartment is no longer under rent control.

Under rent stabilization, rent increases are limited to a certain percentage. I believe that when a tenant moves out of a rent stabilized apartment, the rent on that apartment can increase exponentially, and I'm not sure of whether it remains under rent stabilization (I posted the link above but no time to read it at the moment)

My rent stabilized NYC studio was $1290 per month.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
My rent stabilized NYC studio was $1290 per month.
No wonder so many people live in the NYC subways and sewers.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,104 times
If you choose to live in that situation than don't expect sympathy. The apartment sounds like it should be condemed but you continue to stay in those horrendous conditions. Ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleone6969 View Post
Jdm2008... Thanks for the HELPFULL reply. Me living in this apt has a lot to do with rents. I am a NYC public school teacher and I'm wanting to move on but the LL is not standing up to the court order. Rents in ny are about 1600 for a good one bedroom. Along with supplies for myself and students I'm barely staying a float. To the person that had nothing else better to say the bugs are due to a lack of cleaning.... 1234 let me not even respond to you. I will go to the ny forum might find someone that knows what they are talking bout and are willing to give advice instead of piling on.. Thanks again
jdm2008
I really do hope you are not teaching English, spelling or grammar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting