Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times

Advertisements

Not everyone is capable of moving themselves, and they HAVE to hire movers to help. I can move 90% of my belongings by myself - but I have a three pieces of furniture that are antique, fragile, and so heavy they take three grown men to move each of them.

And calling your friends over, and offering pizza and beer only works for so long. Eventually those friends grow up, and get jobs, and are less willing to spend a Saturday moving your stuff. They'd rather come over after you move in, for the house warming party - so best to save the pizza and beer for then, and hire professional movers for the actual moving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Not everyone is capable of moving themselves, and they HAVE to hire movers to help. I can move 90% of my belongings by myself - but I have a three pieces of furniture that are antique, fragile, and so heavy they take three grown men to move each of them.

And calling your friends over, and offering pizza and beer only works for so long. Eventually those friends grow up, and get jobs, and are less willing to spend a Saturday moving your stuff. They'd rather come over after you move in, for the house warming party - so best to save the pizza and beer for then, and hire professional movers for the actual moving!
Exactly. Asking the same people to give up a Saturday to move heavy furniture isn't something you can do every few months.

It is something you really shouldn't be asking the same people more than once if at all.

IMO you get movers, don't burden other people especially when it involves heavy lifting and stairs.

In fact if this couple just had friends move them in July, I would be willing to bet the same friends will be "busy" if they end up moving again in the next month or two.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. Asking the same people to give up a Saturday to move heavy furniture isn't something you can do every few months.

It is something you really shouldn't be asking the same people more than once if at all.

IMO you get movers, don't burden other people especially when it involves heavy lifting and stairs.

In fact if this couple just had friends move them in July, I would be willing to bet the same friends will be "busy" if they end up moving again in the next month or two.
Being the person with a truck and trailer I have lost count on how many friends I help move back in the day... so far, not one has been available when called...

Kids little league, moved from the area, wife won't let him life anything... and the list goes on... One even enlisted in the military....

Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Enough beer solves any problem.
Maybe if you're 21 years old.

At a certain point in your life, pizza and beer doesn't cut it with your friends.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Being the person with a truck and trailer I have lost count on how many friends I help move back in the day... so far, not one has been available when called...

Kids little league, moved from the area, wife won't let him life anything... and the list goes on... One even enlisted in the military....
I know someone who actually got rid of their pick up truck for that reason.

He said too many people asked him to help them move because he had a truck.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
I saw a bumper sticker on a pickup truck once that said "Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move." LOL!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 42,273 times
Thank you for the helpful responses everyone. We have gotten in contact with management again, and the lady has been talked to.. again. A couple nights ago we did call the police on the dog and the lady did get a "stern talking to" about that. So far she has not bothered us anymore than stomping around seemingly on purpose, especially after we called the police on her.

As for the people who said "move or sux2bu" - here's the deal, we live on the outskirts of Flint, Michigan... we're the closest we can get to work without having to worry about being shot at when we go outside. The area is bad, and rent is pretty high - we barely keep afloat with the bills we have now, and god knows not every one can afford to put down first and last's months rent, plus various application fees to get into a new place. Rent alone would be nearly $1,000 to get moved in... and nearly $100 for a uhaul, since you have to replace the gas (Which is what it cost us when we moved in July..), then we would have to pay to get cable switched to a new place, install fees for that, as well as turn on fees for gas and electric. Then the time for moving would mean we would have to take off a couple days of work, and let's not forget the fact that if you break a lease anywhere you're required to pay up the rest of your lease, which would be a few thousand dollars. Moving isn't cheap - so, when I say moving is not an option, it's not an option.
Again, though, thanks for the helpful replies... and I will post periodically to let everyone know if the situation changes.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 PM

I had no idea living in Flint was akin to taking your life into your hands...

I live in East Oakland... a city that has is in the news quite a bit for crime... all I can say is if you have decent neighbors... the rest doesn't really seem to matter much.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 42,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I had no idea living in Flint was akin to taking your life into your hands...

I live in East Oakland... a city that has is in the news quite a bit for crime... all I can say is if you have decent neighbors... the rest doesn't really seem to matter much.

I've been told by a couple people who grew up over in Beecher, which is by far the worst area of Flint (so I'm also told) that if you move to an area like that, you're going to see a lot of things you're not suppose to see. As long as you keep your nose to the grind stone you'll be okay, and eventually those types of people will start to look out for you.
The thing with that is I'm a young, white woman and I'm home alone quite a bit - I can't afford to worry about all the other neighbors, too, especially if I feel I need to call the police. People will eventually figure it out that I was the one to call, and that's when the trouble starts.
I'm well aware that the issues I'm having with my neighbors here could be a hell of a lot worse, and I guess for that I'm thankful. Just as I'm not well aware that if I wanted peace and quiet, I need to win the lottery, buy land and build my own house away from society.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courie969 View Post
I've been told by a couple people who grew up over in Beecher, which is by far the worst area of Flint (so I'm also told) that if you move to an area like that, you're going to see a lot of things you're not suppose to see. As long as you keep your nose to the grind stone you'll be okay, and eventually those types of people will start to look out for you.
There is some truth to this...

When I first started in the Rental Business I had a problem property in not the best part of town...

Had problems with tagging and theft...

That all stopped when the local gang put out the word to leave me alone...

One of the guys said I was cool and just trying to make the neighborhood nicer and "I never caused any trouble"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting